Mothering Forum banner

March Chat (Feb DDC)

5K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  Valerie11 
#1 ·
It's hard to believe we're already a full week into March and still have babies yet to be born!

I am also looking forward to a Facebook group to keep in touch with everyone. What we have shared with each other is very intimate and also very rare. I know that there was a time in everyone's second trimester when we had some inactivity, but for the most part this due date club has been very engaged and busy. I'm really going to miss that.

#2 ·
Well, I've really enjoyed lurking here!! I wanted to post so much more but just had so many issues trying to do it (mostly technical!). But it's been so nice reading everyone's posts and feeling not-quite-so-alone! It's been a tough season for me as I haven't had much of a chance to see my IRL friends, and DH has been so busy trying to get funding for his company. I had a friend email the other day that she'd love to come see the baby and bring some food now that she figures that's probably trickled down. She waited so she wouldn't inundate us. I so appreciate her considering all that, but the fact is we've only had 2 visitors in the 3 wks since she was born - and even my sister and SIL and MIL have only seen the baby twice each (they all live about 20 minutes away). And we've only had a couple of meals provided so I guess it's a good thing I cooked a lot ahead of time...Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I'm dealing with PPD or if my reactions to the situations I find myself in are more or less reasonable (okay with a bit of hormonal-ness thrown in). Or perhaps my expectations this time around just didn't take weather into consideration and the fact that this isn't as exciting or help-inducing as a first baby. I guess I've been really blessed to have been so supported in my other pregnancies and postpartum. Plus I keep reminding myself that we always tend to get a little testy with homeschooling this time of year (my kids are driving me crazy!).

On another note, anyone seeing baby acne yet? I can never remember when it shows up and Dulcie's forehead went from pristine to spotty overnight :eek:( But I'm wondering if in fact it is run-of-the-mill baby acne or if she is reacting to something. It looks very much like I remember DS3's looking and he was reacting to cow dairy and gluten - but I can't remember when it started. Sheesh I hope not - we JUST dried off the goats (stopped their lactation cycle) and they won't be back in milk till they kid in MAY!!

#3 ·
On another note, anyone seeing baby acne yet?
Yes, sort of. Jonathan was born with a lot of milia (little whiteheads) and they haven't budged. I edit them out of his photos, but I think they'll be around for at least 6 weeks. That's what I read, anyway. Takes longer to clear when you're breastfeeding. But baby acne is different, i think. I am pretty sure that's little red spots caused by environment? Milia is caused by hormones.

#4 ·
I've mostly only lurked, (reading, stalking) mainly because I spent most of the pregnancy terrified and in disbelief that I would have a take home baby at the end. Now that my little guy is safely earthside, I kinda regret not interacting more. I like the idea of a FB group.
@heatbrown, I cooked like crazy beforehand but have hardly touched the food because my Mum has been rocking up with meals every few days. Definitely first baby fever here. I also struggle a bit to know what feelings are "normal" and what is a combination of hormones and exhaustion. I'm definitely on the lookout for PPD because of my history. And, yeah Lincoln has got the newborn acne. At first, I thought it was a insect bites, because I'm clueless, haha.

#5 ·
@heatbrown @Milk8shake You two are still important members of this DDC and I'm glad that you've both lurked while reaching out from time to time.

I'm excited to keep in touch with everyone too. I didn't expect to form such a bond with my DDC but I feel very connected to all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks @bren94. I have to say, in the least creepy way, I've been hard core stalking you particularly. Every time I get a notification with your username, I think... "oh, is this it? Is there a baby Bren? " haha.

#7 ·
@Milk8shake stalking is the greatest form of flattery haha. I admit to stalking you too on the forum you were more active on to see when you had your baby. I was really excited for you! I'm pretty much one of the biggest "over posters" here so I'll keep you very updated when I'm in labor :)

#8 ·
Hahaha I think you had better. There is much anticipation for you February stragglers!
It will be lovely once all the babies have arrived.

#9 ·
We have gone from eating mostly organic to eating just whatever around the due date. My mom didn't help that much when she was in town, she bought a ton of regular food and we weren't complaining. Now I think we're going to just go with it (within reason since some foods are off limit for medical reasons) and buy more conventional stuff. Also, my appetite has gone way down since I'm not pregnant anymore. In the first week I was home, I would suddenly get extremely hungry. Like, I have to eat this very second or I will die! But now I'm just less hungry than I have been, which helps with grocery prices.

@bren94, you are one of the most active people on here. I can't wait for you to have your baby and I want to hear everything about what you were thinking and feeling going through it.

@the creepers, It's great if you are around even if you don't type anything. That's basically how Facebook is. Everyone always reading everything and only liking or commenting every once in a while.

#10 ·
I would love to keep in touch with a Facebook group. I definitely don't want to lose touch with everyone.

RE: baby acne.. my baby has had white spots on her nose since day one.. can't really see them in pictures though. she's gotten a few break outs here and there but nothing too crazy and they blend with her face pretty well.
@heatbrown: i can see why the lack of visitors would be hard. we had non stop visitors for the first week and although it was nice in some ways it was also exhausting as i was super sick and sore. we still get a couple a week right now.. mostly the grandmas on both sides and my grandparents (baby's great grandparents) are pretty involved. Now, i would love visitors as I am bored and miss adult interactions.. especially with DH back at work.
@Milk8shake: i'm pretty sure our visitors are due to first baby fever as well. I also suck at saying no even if I do need a break ha ha. i definitely agree with not knowing what emotions are normal vs. ppd. I am pretty sure mine are normal because when i finally get a solid nap in I am much happier… something tells me ppd would last no matter what.
@bren94: Also super excited for your bundle to arrive. So close now!

#12 ·
I'm definitely more into FB. It just feels more private and I'd probably participate more.

I'm in the middle of first week pp craziness so there will be more from me in a couple of weeks. Hang in there bren and sarahjs and mamayotoby!

#13 ·
Yay for the Facebook group to begin! I've been waiting patiently!

Milkshake, I love that you use the word "earth side". on my birth announcement on Facebook I wrote something about "our baby is now Earthside" and people actually thought I'd named our baby Earthside. lol. It does have a nice ring to it, but. seriously? People who know me didn't even blink at the thought that I would name our child Earthside... I hope that if I really did choose that name at least one person would try to knock some sense into me!!

I've been thinking of that moment of meeting Miss Daisy for the first time, and feel an overwhelming sadness that it only lasted a moment. Those first few hours post birth... Wow! Couldn't we have more time to enjoy that amazing moment? I've been reliving the entire labor process, actually with love and sadness that it's over. I love having Daisy here... Like A TON!, but it's so sad to me that it's now only in my memory. I hope to never forget the moment, but in reality it will dull over time. I was pretty medicated when Owen was born, so remember zero about our first meeting, and Caleb's is pretty fuzzy today, too. I hope when we die we really do get to go back to the moments of our lives that were so precious to us. I would relive it all again and again and again. Even the painful laboring process. I won't be having any more babies, so that was the last time I'll experience labor and birth. Boo!
I'm a little envious of Bren for being able to do it today! :wink:

#17 ·
I think my son might have croup. I hope the baby doesn't get it! Almost all of us are sick right now :( I will probably be MIA for the most part until things get better over here. (although I will be stalking to see when our final mamas have their babies!)

#19 ·
I think if I don't have a baby soon, I might go crazy. My mom's been here for 9 days but has to leave in the morning. It was her last chance to get to witness a grandbabys birth. She's some way or another missed the last 7. We're both bummed. We tried guessing when the best time to come would be but that did not turn out. I'm just feeling so moody and grumpy and its so unlike me. I just want to enjoy these last moments being pregnant ever and the last moments of being a family of four, but I just can't get in the right headspace. Ugh. I'll stop whining now. It has to happen sometime in the next week or so.

#20 ·
I am interested to see how the fb group works. I am a little hesitant to leave the forum so quickly, I really like having this here separate from my fb, which is more brief general sharing with people I have known a long time. With my last ddc once we went to fb we lost some people and it just wasn't the same when some of the ladies turned out to be over sharers on fb with political views and strong opinions on hot button topics. It made it hard to maintain the same kind of vibe we had on the forum after switching. I really like our small group here a lot, and I think it's great that there's not too many of us and we're all fairly active, so I will follow you all to fb as long as we all promise stay awesome!
@mama2toby I hope you get your little one in your arms soon, it can't possibly be too much longer, right!?

#21 ·
Gabeyho, I also have reservations about FB. I don't share anything personal on FB, but I do here. I'd feel comfortable with active members in this DDC as friends, but I'd feel uncomfortable with lurkers being able to connect my MDC profile with my FB. I couldn't share as freely. Maybe I'll set up a different profile just to stay in the DDC? I'm not sure. If the group is "secret" where members aren't listed, I'm all on board. If it is private, I'll have to consider how to proceed.

#22 ·
The last time I joined a FB group, it was private membership only. The administrator had to approve of your joining the group, and everything that was posted was only for the eyes of the group members. Anything that you did was completely unknown to your "real" Facebook page. The scrolling activity bars at the side of the screen included. If it was more open than that I would have reservations, too.

#23 ·
My qualm with groups is that you can see members even if you can't see what their activity is. I've had lots of friend requests by creep-os that found me on a FB group they were targeting. I think I'll just set up a second profile.... I'm just an over thinker....

#26 ·
Mama2toby- I've been thinking of you too! And Sarah! Hang in there, mamas!

Ok, back to the sick house. The baby is sick now too, though not nearly as bad as the others. I have some colostrum heavy milk frozen that I think I will thaw out for him.

#27 ·
@cagnew hope your family feels better soon!
@mama2toby hang in there! I'm sorry about your mom possibly missing the birth. I wished mine was there in the moment too.

And yeah, joining a group doesn't mean you need to add anyone. If your profile is totally private, no one in the group should be able to see your account activity ie. Political views, personal status updates, etc. unless you add them as a friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.