Anyone else currently nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Anyone else currently nursing?

My nursling is 12 months old and I really like to nurse until 2, so it looks like I'll be trying to nurse throughout pregnancy and tandeming.  I have never done this before; in the past I've weaned babies in the first trimester of pregnancy.

Anyone nurse through pregnancy before?  Any tips?

#2 of 43 Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am attempting to wean my almost 3 year old. We are down to bed time but he is devastated about it. I have no desire to nurse him and the baby as by then he will be 3 1/2 but I feel bad taking away his favorite thing.

#3 of 43 Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I am also still nursing my almost 3 year old. I had to nightwean her and cut down nursing sessions to 2-3x a day just to conceive. She's been protesting. I worry a little about nursing more than this because of what it took to get pregnant.... would there be any threat to the pregnancy? I don't think my dd wants to wean yet, so I hope we can nurse like this throughout the pregnancy. 

#4 of 43 Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizyellow View Post

I am attempting to wean my almost 3 year old. We are down to bed time but he is devastated about it. I have no desire to nurse him and the baby as by then he will be 3 1/2 but I feel bad taking away his favorite thing.

This is me exactly but he is 4 and will be almost 5 when baby comes.

I have been trying to wean him since my pregnancy when he was almost 3 and nursing hurt and I didn't want to tandem feed when he was 3.5 years. Since that time, I have lost two pregnancies and I really want to stop feeding him so my body can focus on this pregnancy. 

At least I have succeeded in cutting down to once at bedtime.

Any tips for weaning?

#5 of 43 Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes! My 2.5 year old. 

Being so tender the last few weeks was the first hint that I might of been pregnant. I asked our midwife yesterday if the tenderness goes away and she said yes. 

Was planning on letting him self wean, as was not planning on a baby so soon. We co-sleep and nursing to sleep is the big one for us still. I hope to get him in another bed next to ours, and able to fall asleep with someone else before baby arrives. But plan on tandem nursing when baby arrives! 

#6 of 43 Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Yes!
My youngest is 27 months. He mainly just nurses between 2am and 6am - very rarely during the day and not to sleep for bed/nap. I have been weaning him for a looooooong time (4 months) and expect it to take another 1-2 before he is 100% done. He's a very attached nurser but I also don't have interest in nursing two. 

If you choose to continue, just make sure your nutrition is on point :) +500 (quality) calories for pregnancy and +500 for the growing baby!

#7 of 43 Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 AM

Me!  My son is 28 months - nursing 2-3 times a day and does not appear to be at all interested in giving it up.  I'm going on a week-long trip in May, it'll be my first time away from him and I'm curious as to what he'll do when I come back.  I'd be very surprised if he didn't ask to nurse as soon as I got home, but we'll see. 

#8 of 43 Old 04-16-2014, 03:08 PM

Me too! My daughter will be four next week and still nurses at bedtime every other night (the nights I put her to bed). Last summer I was gone to Europe for 3.5 weeks and she went right back to nursing as soon as she got to Paris.

#9 of 43 Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Nursing my 21 month old here!
#10 of 43 Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM

It seems like I have he youngest nursling here. Really hoping we can keep nursing through pregnancy! I don't want to wean this sweet baby.

#11 of 43 Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

So adorable!
#12 of 43 Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 PM

I'm hoping to nurse through this pregnancy, but in the last few days began to dread my dd latching on. No pain when she nurses, but my bbs feel sensitive. Is this common?

#13 of 43 Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

The nursing pain seems to have set in for me (at 5 weeks). When I was pregnant a year and a half ago, I remember the pain during latch-on. It was my most consistent pregnancy symptom, starting almost from the moment I knew I was pregnant (4 weeks) until immediately after my D&C at 11 weeks. But I believe I was told it would go away during the second trimester. I won't lie--that was my main motivation to start weaning more aggressively. That, and I didn't think he would share well with the baby for tandem feeding. 

I didn't have any nipple pain with my last pregnancy, and that probably contributed to the fact I never believed the pregnancy would work out.

But last night, the pain was back, and it wasn't just during latching--although he kept unlatching to talk to me even though I was clearly irritated. Fortunately, he only nursed for about 2 minutes on each side, so I was only in pain for about 5 minutes altogether.

Chapsie, I understand not wanting to wean her at 12 months. I would just play it by ear though. She might want to nurse less as your milk changes, but if you can get her through the worst of it, she should be very happy when the new milk comes in. I don't know what to tell you, because obviously I've never done it before and I really want to wean my son.

#14 of 43 Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 AM

well, I'm 6.5 weeks, and so far, so good.  No real breast tenderness and, although my milk supply has dipped a little, she is still nursing frequently through the day.  This is my 6th pregnancy and I nursed through all except the first one (of course), but my babies always previously easily weaned between 8 and 12 weeks.  I've never nursed passed the 12 week mark (but those babies were older to start).  So... in a few months, we'll be in all new territory!  I am an IBCLC and I think tandem nursing will be a good experience for me to go through (although challenging!!) in order to help other mamas.  

#15 of 43 Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

My dd is nursing less already. When she switches sides she says there's no more milk left. That's never happened before.

#16 of 43 Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do.  Either your body is going to allow you to continue or not.  Everyone's body reacts differently with the pregnancy hormones.  I'm so sad because my supply is already dropping.  I had to wean my now 3 year old at 14 months when I got pregnant with her brother because my supply dropped to nil by the time I was 12 weeks, even though my diet was great and I wanted to tandem.  My lil one is 14 months now, I'm only 5 weeks pregnant, and wanted so desperately to nurse him until 2.  Sigh. 

#17 of 43 Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 PM

I'm still nursing my 13 month old. I'm planning to just play things by ear. I love nursing my little sweetie.

#18 of 43 Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 AM

I am nursing my 23 month old. Considering night weaning because lately she has been up all night long. Not really sure how to start. Not sure I am ready for tandem nursing...a lot to think about
#19 of 43 Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Chapsie, I am also nursing a 12 mo old. smile.gif I've nursed through my last 4 pregnancies (been nursing 8 years straight smile.gif ). In my experience, my milk always disappears sometime around 15 weeks but my nurslings don't seem to care, lol. Tandeming has been totally different with each child! It just really depends on their personality. My now 8 year old was an angry, jealous demanding toddler and it was stressful making him share the breasts. Others have been so mellow, they barely even frown when I tell them " no nursing until nap time" or something like that. The latching on for me does get terribly painful in the 3rd trimester. Also, I learned that I personally just can't breastfeed 2 children at the same time (like, one on each breast). I can't explain it but it gives me terrible heebie jeebies! So I just have them take turns. smile.gif All my toddlers except one were overjoyed after the birth when my milk came back. I was so surprised by my one silly toddler (who is 4 now). I assumed he'd be all excited to find milk actually coming out again while he nursed, but he didn't like it! He weaned himself at 2 years old. So funny. One more thing, I happen to have an "irritable uterus" meaning I have about 40 zillion contractions during pregnancy but they are not labor. Nursing always brings them on, not from the nursing itself but the nursling wiggling against and kicking my belly! I put a pillow between my big belly and my nursling while in bed during the later months of pregnancy.
#20 of 43 Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM

I'm nursing my 23 month old.  I'm not totally thrilled with the idea of tandem nursing, but I will make it work if she is still nursing when her sibling arrives.  If she weans before then I won't be too sad, other than that I'll be a little sad whenever that time is over for us.  It's been a little sore, but I don't think I've had any supply issues.  I've never nursed during pregnancy before.

#21 of 43 Old 05-11-2014, 10:55 AM

I've done it a few times, and it's worked out ok. The last baby I had (#4), i was nursing her older brothers, so had to nurse all 3 once she came out. Now with #5 coming, I'm nursing #4 and her 3.5yo brother. Not gonna lie, I really hope he weans soon! lol. They've all weaned themselves, mostly b/c I have no clue where to start on weaning them myself. lol. So, it's totally possible and OK, but it can be maddening from time to time (for me, anyway). Sore boobs from pregnancy, nausea and exhaustion, can make it feel a little less than magical on some days. Not trying to put a negative spin on anything! Just so you know, I think its normal if you're not overly enthused each and every time you nurse. But super cool if you are. We're all different. :twothumbs

#22 of 43 Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

I m nursing a 19 month old and I'm about done! I'm weaning at two, not sure how but I have no interest in tandom feeding! I used to think how cool that would be lol but not anymore. I'm tired nauseous and not only are my nipples sore, they have become HUGE...lol sorry if tmi! This is just one worn out mama!
#23 of 43 Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 PM

My dd is almost 3 and nurses 2-3 times a day. Everytime I ask her if she's ready to stop, she says no and starts to cry. I have a lot less milk now, and my nipples hurt when she latches on. Do I just power through the pain? I'm at 9w3d now. 

#24 of 43 Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM

I just don't know, I'm 9 weeks tomorrow and I'm just powering through the pain bc I want to go until he's 2 if I don't dry up. I'm sure it gets better right?😕
#25 of 43 Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have nursed through three pregnancies and I am nursing my toddler now with pregnancy #6. I told him it was not time to nurse yesterday when I reached my limit. He cried for half an hour. He wants to nurse more now because the milk supply is less and I am sitting down more...easy target.

For me, the soreness and fatigue get better by the second trimester, but that is when the milk begins to really dry up and they are mostly nursing for comfort. By the ninth month I want to peel the paint when they nurse, so I count to 15 or 20 seconds and unlatch them and they do cry, but I hold them and tell them we will nurse more soon. It is all I can offer. Nursing with limits works better for me than stopping.

Then when the baby is born and the milk comes in the bonding has been amazing between my kids. My older toddler holds the baby with me as they nurse together. One of my kids said, "I will teach the baby how to nurse." It was amazing to see them bond so well. I love the tandem nursing part of the deal! My other motivation is that my nipples do not get as sore because they have been continuously nursed. I did not tandem nurse my first daughter and second baby and my nipples had to adjust as if it were the first time, which was hard for me, so I was really motivated! ;) I also have a toddler who is really happy to make up for lost time and help with the engorgement of the first few weeks!

#26 of 43 Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  I have really not been enjoying nursing these last couple weeks (mostly from exhaustion), but we're still hanging in there.  She totally still needs her mama in that way.  I will just keep going as long as we can and see how it goes.  My milk is super decreased already, which has been frustrating for her because she wants to nurse both sides and then nurse both sides AGAIN (she just keeps looking for milk) and I just don't have the patience for that right now, haha.  

#27 of 43 Old 05-15-2014, 09:35 AM

My dr encouraged me to night wean today! She said it's a lot on my body and I could use the sleep.....ummm sure can! I need to come up with plan. Any suggestions?
#28 of 43 Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

apeydef,

I told one of my toddlers that she could nurse as soon as she saw the light come through the window in the morning and insisted that she not wake me until then because mommy would be too tired to nurse. It took a night or two of her waking me up to test the theory, but she adjusted. I was going out of my mind with fatigue, but waking up to confirm the nursing boundary was easier than actually nursing at night. After she adjusted, each morning at the break of dawn she would wake me up and we'd nurse. :) 

#29 of 43 Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM

I've had to start setting boundaries around nursing because otherwise she's attached to me every moment we're together, and I just can't take it.  I've been just explaining that I'm not going to nurse right now, but that I can hold her while she drinks her bottle, or that we can snuggle.  I'm hoping that by offering those other options she will know I still want to be close with her, but that nursing is not available at every waking moment.  She's mostly accepting of this, unless she's really tired.

She's so cute though when she asks to nurse she points to my boob and says "that!".  If I say no, she points to the other one and says "that?".  Sometimes it totally works!

#30 of 43 Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have a stomach virus in the house right now, 4 out of my 5 kids have it.  (My 9 year old seems to have avoided it so far.)  My 16 month old won't eat anything and is back to nursing only, so much that he's back to exclusively breastfed poop.  I'm so glad he's still nursing and is keeping hydrated but I gotta say, my boobs are killing me!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page