Mothering Forum banner

Weight gain

551 views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Brokenfish 
#1 ·
How is everyone doing? Not in a competitive way. I gained 50 lbs with every pregnancy, but did end up losing it all, so I'm not paranoid. I have gained 13.1 lbs at 11 weeks, which puts me on track for 48 lbs overall at this rate.

#3 ·
galatea, that's great that you always lose the weight! How much did your babies weigh at birth?

In the first 6 weeks, I was up 6 lbs, but have lost 4, so far up 2 lbs at 11 weeks.

In my last pregnancy, I lost 4 lbs in the first trimester, then gained 1 lb per week up to 25 weeks. Then my weight fluctuated here and there for the rest of the pregnancy, and I didn't gain anything significant. Only 20ish lbs. My dr didn't weigh pregnant women, so nobody ever said anything, even though I was worried at that time.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlspn View Post

galatea, that's great that you always lose the weight! How much did your babies weigh at birth?

In the first 6 weeks, I was up 6 lbs, but have lost 4, so far up 2 lbs at 11 weeks.

In my last pregnancy, I lost 4 lbs in the first trimester, then gained 1 lb per week up to 25 weeks. Then my weight fluctuated here and there for the rest of the pregnancy, and I didn't gain anything significant. Only 20ish lbs. My dr didn't weigh pregnant women, so nobody ever said anything, even though I was worried at that time.
Just 7.5 - 8.5 lbs. Not big at all. I didn't lose all the weight after #1 and #2 - I kept 10 lbs each so started off with #3 20 lbs overweight and still gained 50 which put me around 210 when I delivered! But then I lost about 75 lbs and started #4 at my normal weight. Gained 50 lbs with him but then lost 60 at the height of his nursing. Gained that 10 lbs back when done nursing to end up at my normal weight again!

You're lucky you didn't over-gain!

#5 ·
I gain like 60 lbs each time. It has come off each time, til this last. I wasn't able to get the last 15 off, in part due to nursing and then my thyroid. Im sort of bummed and a bit leery of comments as I get so many anyways since im short, have a short torso and big babies. (My last was two ounces shy of 11 lbs! Anyway, Im hoping to get my thyroid back on track and start exercising again. So far, Ive gained 5 lbs. but am 15 over my usual starting weight.

#6 ·
I gained 40 with my first (9 lb 6 oz) and lost it all plus am extra 5 lb within 6 months (he had projectile vomiting and therefore nursed ALL the time!!)

I gained 45 with my second (9 lb 7 oz) and retained 15 lb after her birth.
greensad.gif

I gained 35 with my third (8 lb 12) and by 6 months, I lost all of it plus an extra 12 pounds! (But I have a feeling I went a little postpartum hyperthyroid and that is why I lost so much).

So far, I haven't gained anything and I am 12 weeks!

#7 ·
My 1st pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 12 weeks so I didn't really gain anything.
My second I gained 40 and lost 30. 3rd gained 35 and lost 40. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and haven't gained anything yet. Although I started off 5 lbs above what I was after the weight loss with my 3 rd pregnancy. I'm hoping to only gain like 25-30 this time.

I should add my babies have been big so I've always left the hospital like 20 lbs down!

#8 ·
With my 1st pregnancy I gained 90 lbs. I started at 110 and got up to 200. I ended up gestational diabetic with that one.

My 2nd pregnancy I gained 80 lbs. I started at 112 and got up to 192. No side effects from the weight gain.

I lost all the weight from both pregnancies but have some lovely stretch marks to remember it all by, LOL.

This pregnancy, I am sure I will gain quite a bit as well. Though I tend to lose all the weight, I am afraid of getting gestational diabetes again. I have been trying to eat healthier but I am still packing on the pounds. I am sure that quitting smoking doesn't help. I quit with every pregnancy so maybe that is why I gain all the excess weight. Oh well, I guess baby is much happier with me getting fatter rather than smoking, LOL :)

#9 ·
1st baby I gained 38 pounds and FINALLY lost all of it after 2 years. I am just not one of those women that loses it because of nursing. I have to work my ass off to get rid of it. My 4 ft 10 in frame doesn't help hide it either.

2nd babe I gained 28 pounds and FINALLY lost it after 2 years.

I had gained some weight this winter, it was cold and I ate a lot of brownies so I started this pregnancy 5 lbs heavier than I like to be.

I had lost 5 lbs due to vomiting but have gained 2 of it back so I am settled in at -3 lbs so far. I won't really gain anything until 20 weeks and then I will gain the rest of my weight from week 20-40.

#10 ·
With my first baby, I gained somewhere around 70lbs. Took me a while to lose it, plus had the gall bladder issue and other things..

This pregnancy I've already gained 17lbs, and I'm 13 weeks. I've had very little morning sickness and when I do, it's just stomach acid. Plus I've been restricted from most exercising, which is annoying me.

Our first was a month early and almost 9lbs, so we can only imagine what this one is going to be like.

#11 ·
First baby I gained about 30 pounds, and lost 10 LOL

With this baby, my weight was still up but I've gain about 8 pounds so far. Primarily from all the fruit and water-based food I eat. I think the weight will come off since I'm going into this exercising a bit more.

#12 ·
I am up and down a pound or so every day it seems. Seems to be sticking in the gaining 5 lb range though so far at 13 weeks.
I am a larger woman so I am nervous about the weight gain for my own comfort but I will embrace it when it happens too.

I gained well over 60 lbs with my son and still have not lost it.

#13 ·
I tend to gain about 40lbs every time. I've gained a few so far...

It definitely gets more difficult to lose with each baby! I laugh every time I see this old picture I have of myself just 3 weeks after my first baby was born. I was only 17 and didn't do a thing to try to lose wt after birth. I was right back to 116lbs and tight jeans in that picture 3 weeks PP! Lol. Yeah I've not been near 116lbs in a lonnnng time. 😋

#14 ·
I gained about 60 lbs with each. I don't really weigh myself so I'm not sure how much I lost, but I know I haven't gotten back to my prepregnancy weight. I have been working out regularly for the past year, but no amount of that can make up for stuffing your face all the time! Ugh. I looooove food, and I usually eat good food, I just eat too much of it. And as soon as I find out I'm pregnant, I almost unconsciously give myself permission to indulge. Thankfully this pregnancy I've been craving really spicy stuff. And sauerkraut. Sure beats Oreos and ice cream (and dirt and chalk and rocks and synthetic carpeting!) like before. Almost forgot about pica!
I'm hoping to gain minimal weight this time. Breastfeeding has never helped me lose it, either.

#15 ·
I'm up 2 or 3 pounds at 11 weeks. Last time I gained mostly at the end, about 33 pounds total. It all came off within a year, from nursing and/or the stress of my partner's major knee surgery soon after the birth. He was unable to walk for more than two months, so I suddenly became a single mother with two "babies." Oh, and I had a colicky newborn with food sensitivities, so my diet was severely restricted. I was so hungry and grumpy.

I'm hoping for a much less stressful postpartum experience this time, even if the pounds stay on longer! It's worth it if I can just chill out more.

#16 ·
Ugh weight has always been an issue for me, I gain it so easy and have such a hard time losing it. So since I just gained about 40lbs from job related stress in the last 8 months before I became pregnant I'm hoping to keep my weight gain to a minimum like I did with my other pregnancies. which unfortunitly means lots of salad and daily workouts.

#17 ·
It's amazing how different everyone is! I've gained about 12 lbs at almost 12 weeks. I'm surprised it's not more given my 3-4 bagels a day habit.

I gained 50-60 with my two previous pregnancies (despite barfing my guts out). I didn't bother to try to get it off after the first because I knew I wanted to get pregnant again right away and it would all come back. That made sense at the time. Still lost about 30 lbs without trying. This time, it was important to me to know that I could have control over my health before trying for #3 (being older, I knew it would be harder) so I worked hard over the last year to get to my most fit ever since my teens. It felt great! I didn't go to the gym but my house has lots of stairs and between them and hiking with the dog and generally hauling kids around, I got a good work out and ate really healthy. I lost another 40 lbs over a year or so and felt really good going into this pregnancy.

I plan to do the same again next year...or the year after. I don't worry about weight gain during pregnancy and won't put any pressure on myself to lose it too quickly afterwards. With a new baby, there are so many other things to be exhausted and stressed out about!

#19 ·
That's how I feel, too, esp since I couln't get those last 15 or so pounds off before this pregnancy--curse you, thyroid! lol

But I think it;s also that awkward stage where there's not a defined bump, just a relaxing of muscles. Im sorry you feel fat. I get really self consciouse when pregnant because I get SO many comments starting about 5 months about how big I am, am I sure it's not twins, is your date off, blah blah, blah. So if I even think someone is checking out my belly it makes me want to run and hibernate the rest of the pregnancy. Hopefully our baby bumps will become more defined soon and we will look pregnnat, not flabby! :thumb:love

#21 ·
Dannic, omg I hate those comments. I got big really fast with my first and for some reason I didnt mind people telling me how big I looked. i soaked up all the attention back then. This time it feels like an attack :) My mom kept saying to me for days recently "you look like you could have that baby any day now. Are you sure you're due in December?" For real! Finally I just told her she might as well just tell me I'm fat. And then the comments stopped. Thank you thank you!
Don't mean to sound so touchy. Personally I think im just self-conscious because I never got into this fantasy post-baby body I always dreamed I would, and when I started to look pregnant so fast, it was like a reminder of how little I had "accomplished" with my body since I last gave birth. Which is completely ridiculous because bearing children is the most amazing if not only amazing thing we can really accomplish with our bodies as women.

Ugh, I hate when I buy into bull****! Why are we never happy with ourselves??

#22 ·
With my first three pregnancies, I lost so much in the first trimester I technically didn't gain a single pound any of the pregnancies. But I was overweight in the first place, so it was ok. With this one, I haven't lost any yet, because I'm not so sick, but I also haven't gained any, thank goodness!

#23 ·
I gained 30 with the first, and 10 with the second, but I started off 20lbs heavier the second time. This time I have not gained any weight so far, but started off 20lbs over where I started last time. My Midwife would like me to gain between 10-15lbs which I think is totally doable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.