Mothering Forum banner

A question for the experienced mamas?

430 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  apeydef 
#1 ·
Dear ladies, DH tends to travel quite a bit for his work and he has been offered a three weeks long trip in September (which would put me at about 6 months).

He needs to make a decision soon and neither one of us knows how I will feel early in the third trimester. I feel like there will be so much going on in my body, baby kicks and tiredness but also there is a part of me that wants to feel like I can manage being home alone for three weeks while pregnant.

We live in a small town and I don't have any other kids. We have friends and family that can lend a hand, but not that much.

What do you think? Do you feel he will be missing out on some important bonding while far away, or that he will be much needed by me as I hobble around the house?

Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
I think you will still feel okay by then, and not need him too much. You could prearrange some dates with friends or family to not be bored, and have him set up someone to take out the trash or any other tasks you need help with. Then I'd see a lot of movies that dh wouldn't like and be fine. :)

#3 ·
If you are healthy and having a normal pregnancy, I think you'll be able to function almost like normal at the beginning of the 3rd tri. :) You may tire a little easier, and won't be able to do things like carry huge boxes because your huge belly will be in the way. :) But really, I think you would be just fine and your husband won't be missing anything he can't see when he gets back. 👍

#4 ·
My husband was away for around three weeks for military training in the second or third tri and it was fine. Like the others have said, if it's a normal pregnancy, chances are good you'll be feeling fine at that point with few limitations, so I wouldn't worry about it.

#7 ·
I think you will be fine. My DH and I actually lived apart when I was pregnant with my son (we weren't married yet and we weren't living together). I think the time apart will you give some alone time but also will be good for him to have a mini break before baby.

I agree with the comments above to plan a few dinners with friends and relaxing things. You'll be just fine.

#8 ·
Thanks for all your answers, truly!
Although we haven't made our decision yet, we are leaning on him going on the trip (I like having time to myself and so does he).
We'll be seeking advice from one more friend before DH tells his work he can do it.
Thanks again,
SF.

#9 ·
Like Laneybug said, sounds heavenly to me! I love my DH dearly but an opportunity for a few weeks apart wouldn't hurt. Six months is a good time in pregnancy to be able to handle a separation like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.