Baby clothing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#1 of 47 Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Baby clothing

What kind of baby clothing and how many of each item would I need for a baby born in the winter? It doesn't get to freezing here, but we don't use heaters, and temperatures range from 10-15C from December to February/March.

I'm looking into wool longies as a cover over flats-- would one layer of woolen pants be warm enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The usual recommendation is that whatever you are wearing to be comfortable, add one light layer to baby. Keep in mind that babies easily loose heat through evaporative (if they are wet), conductive (if they are placed on a cold surface), and convective (breezy or windy) cooling mechanisms. So, keep that in mind-- babies should stay dry and out of breezy conditions and they should be able to maintain their body temperature pretty well. (Depending on the size of the baby and the amount of fat they have! If you bring home

As far as the number of baby clothes go-- that varies greatly depending on baby! My first baby was a PUKER! He had projectile vomiting after almost every feeding until he was 6 months, so we did a TON of laundry. I didn't care what he was wearing as long as it was clean and dry. Lots of crazy garage sale finds and hand me downs for him! Haha. I changed his clothes many times a day. My two daughters, on the other hand, were very neat and clean and other than the occasional diaper blow out (rare with cloth diapers), they would only need one outfit or pajama per day. I bought very little for them because they didn't need so many clothes changes and they grow so fast at the beginning that they are always outgrowing clothes every 4-5 weeks or so.

Hope that helps!!
#3 of 47 Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 AM

With that said-- it is also important to not OVER bundle a baby, so just use common sense and your mama intuition! :)
#4 of 47 Old 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would consider, if you babywear or are planning a 4th trimester, focusing on the next two sizes up from newborn. If you are wearing baby skin to skin a good portion of the day, you won't want much in the way of clothing, even in a cold climate. It's nice to have a coat or poncho you can slip on over your carrier- making sure to maintain baby's airway of course. Legwarmers are versatile and convenient for elimination communication, can be used as arm warmers later. If you have $ to spend, a backup carrier is a good investment and helps you function when your #1 is in the laundry.
#5 of 47 Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!

@chapsie-- My dd was born in the summer, and I found she was often warmer than me-- often going without a shirt most of the time, while I had a layer or two, lol! I'm using flat diapers and estimating laundry to be every other day, so I'd probably need enough clothes to last 2-3 days? My dd lived in the same few onesies for a long time as she rare threw up or had blowouts.

@crunchymama27-- I do babywear. I used a ring sling practically 24/7 with my first and loved it. I ordered one wrap conversion ring sling so far. It's pricey though, so only one so far...

This is most likely my last baby, so am hoping not to spend too much.
#6 of 47 Old 06-19-2014, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Get something warm for the baby to wear from the hospital. Here in CT, we were already given a list of what to bring for the baby when she is born. A long sleeved onesie, socks/booties if what they're wearing isn't going to cover their feet as well as a hat, and something similar to this...

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/6...erJumpsuit.jpg

(Typing the name feels completely odd for me, and I didn't even know what the list was talking about when I read it.)

Other than that, lots of onesies if you think the baby will be getting puke and milk all over it, and you don't want the stress of laundry. Tag sales are your friend right now! And I highly recommend minimal newborn clothes, and more 3mos clothing than anything. My first barely fit newborn, and everyone in my family is usually in 3mos clothing before the 2nd month begins. Are you doing an ultrasound close towards delivery? That would help for clothes buying as well. Give you a better idea if you need items for a leggy baby, or a small 6lb baby.
#7 of 47 Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I would say mostly footy sleepers. Sleep sacks are nice, but yes do not over heat. I would do a onesie under a sleep sack and nothing more at night. I am paranoid about over heating as this has been said to be one cause of SIDS. ( among the many others.) although if you co-sleep the sleep sacks wouldn't be necessary.
one piece footie outfits during the day. Or long sleeve onesies and cotton pants. Wool
Pants seem hot to me. I never do a coat at a young age. Just a blanket over them in the car seat. Again don't want them overheated. I had a 9 lb baby and a 9.5 lb baby and they both fit in newborn clothes for 3-4 weeks even at their large sizes. I still wouldn't buy many though.
#8 of 47 Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
Are you doing an ultrasound close towards delivery? That would help for clothes buying as well. Give you a better idea if you need items for a leggy baby, or a small 6lb baby.
This is interesting-- I never thought about it! I probably won't be doing ultrasounds close to delivery. I would expect this baby to be similar or larger than my dd though. She was 7 lbs.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 47 Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
I would say mostly footy sleepers. Sleep sacks are nice, but yes do not over heat. I would do a onesie under a sleep sack and nothing more at night. I am paranoid about over heating as this has been said to be one cause of SIDS. ( among the many others.) although if you co-sleep the sleep sacks wouldn't be necessary.
one piece footie outfits during the day. Or long sleeve onesies and cotton pants. Wool
Pants seem hot to me. I never do a coat at a young age. Just a blanket over them in the car seat. Again don't want them overheated. I had a 9 lb baby and a 9.5 lb baby and they both fit in newborn clothes for 3-4 weeks even at their large sizes. I still wouldn't buy many though.
I'll probably get 3mo clothing. I am also pretty paranoid about overheating. The extra layer on baby never applied to me and my dd, as I was always colder than her. She would sweat in her onesie and I would be in two layers.

I just found out the baby is a girl and thus can only get limited used clothing from my nephew, who was born last winter. I saved my dd's nicer clothes so I'd only have to get basics, mainly for home use.

#2 due December 2014!
#10 of 47 Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM

@BadWolf , unfortunately the weight they tell you is never very accurate. I was told my 9.5lb baby was only 8lbs and that was from an ultrasound the day he was born. I also hear people say all the time that the weight they tell them is wrong.
#11 of 47 Old 07-11-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Yeah, those weights can be wrong. Surprisingly, the mom's guess, and an experienced midwife's guess from palpation, can be better than the ultrasound guess.

My kids were 7.5, 7.1, 8.1, 8.6, and they all outgrew NB size clothes within 1-2 weeks. Now I don't bother with NB and just go right to 0-3 months. Those fit for about 6 weeks. I am guessing this baby will be close to 9. I like nightgowns while home, and one-piece footies for going out. I despise snap crotches as they just add complications when changing diapers every two seconds, and don't even fit right over cloth diapers.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#12 of 47 Old 07-12-2014, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Galatea, what are the options other than onesies? I don't like onesies as well and ended up cutting off the bottom of the ones we had.

#2 due December 2014!
#13 of 47 Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlspn View Post
Galatea, what are the options other than onesies? I don't like onesies as well and ended up cutting off the bottom of the ones we had.
They do make shirts that wrap across the front in newborn size. Non-mall brands seem to make more regular, non-crotch shirts, like Zutano, for example. Their stuff is loud but cute. But in general, one-piece footies are my go-to.

#14 of 47 Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Oh man I planned on some onesies for cheap clothing so that got me worried, but I found this thread here on MDC about cloth diapers and onesies: silly question about onesies and cloth diapers
From what those mothers are saying, it seems that anything that'll fit over a disposable diaper will fit over cloth diapers, so onesies are fine. If i have problems I'll just go up a size.

I'm making a bunch of long tshirt-like things made out of old adult tshirts, and instead of making it snap at the bottom I'm just going to make it scrunched with elastic, so it gives the illusion of closing over the diaper but it'll be more like a dress. I think that'll make it easier for changing and such. We just don't have that many old tshirts so that'll only account for maybe 4-5 baby outfits... I can't afford to buy a lot of specialized clothing so I've gotta be thrifty

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#15 of 47 Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM

There's always Walmart too
#16 of 47 Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM

If you have a Marshall's or TJ Maxx near you, they usually get the "discontinued" fashions from Carter's and other baby stores. Outfits that I would normally pay $20 for at Carter's were between $4-$6 at Marshall's. Walmart and Target are good too, but sometimes you do need to search because they hide the cheaper items.
KatelynRose likes this.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#17 of 47 Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the tips, @badwolf092087 ! I always forget about Marshall's/TJ Maxx until someone tells me that's where they just found an awesome deal haha

Gah I hear more and more how onesies are annoying to most parents.. So I'm rethinking my entire onesie wardrobe of course.. But gowns are so expensive! And tshirts seem.... So short.. And some places don't even carry tshirts for less than 24 months old! So I'm thinking.. Do I need to still buy cheap packs of onesies, cut the flaps off, and hem them, in order to get good deals on baby clothing?? Onesies seem to be the cheapest thing to buy from 0-12 months in size... Would that work, to cut off the flaps? Seasoned mammas I'm crying for your help! ( @girlspn I know you mentioned cutting the flaps, how did that work out?)

@Galatea you mentioned tshirts, gowns, and footies... I can find packs of 6 tshirts as well as packs of 6 onesies at Walmart in different sizes for quite cheap, $10-15 for the set! The only gowns I can find are $10-15 each, or I have seen a few sets of very pajama cutesie looking gowns for about $12 for a set of 2... The gowns don't seem as economical. I'm sure I could find footies for relatively cheap but I haven't tried to search just yet. I feel quite overwhelmed but I want to get all of this sorted out long before he arrives so that I can just relax the last couple of months!
badwolf092087 likes this.

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#18 of 47 Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Burlington also serves the same purpose, but you have to dig through everything. Or at least at the one here. It has such an uncaring staff. But the positive is you can find lots of gems there as well! But not with their baby furniture. It's as if they barely mark it down.

We have several Good Wills around here, but I've yet to check them out. I live in Stamford, CT which is in one of the richest counties in the country, and people donate practically brand new items to those stores. It's been a while since I've been in one of them, so that next on my list when I get out again to hunt.
KatelynRose likes this.

Sarah & DH Alan 

#19 of 47 Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 PM

I love onesies! I didn't know others hated them so much lol. That's all i put in my babies bc t shirts and non onesie type shirts flip up. I like the extra support around the diaper too. I personally don't like the gowns. I like footie pjs but the zipper ones are the best. Too many snaps are just annoying! So it's just getting to know what works for you. Don't stress it will all work out
#20 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it will definitely all work out. You don't have to have every little thing ready before the baby comes. I am not Jewish and I may be all wrong about this but wasn't it/isn't it tradition NOT to have a shower before the birth of the baby bc it's bad luck? Hmm, not sure if that's true but it just goes to show you that we can all survive without being prepared with all the stuff beforehand. If you have boobs you're set (assuming you're breastfeeding) and you can easily get diapers from the grocery store or wherever and everyone has some blankets. I just remember with my first being so overwhelmed by all the things I was convinced I needed (thanks to marketing geniuses) and how little is actually necessary. And even if you are being green and low maintenance, you can do so much after the baby is born. They sleep all the time in the beginning so you actually may find yourself with quite a bit of time on your hands, esp if it's your first! Don't sweat it
Chapsie and KatelynRose like this.
#21 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

galatea, I checked out Zutano's website-- the designs are cute but clothing pricey!

katelynrose, after cutting off the flats, the onesies basically became shirts. I cut off the flaps off onesies that were worn out though, and just use them at home. If you can sew, you can probably make them into little shirts. I'm having trouble finding shirts priced as low as onesies from 0-6 months. My dd used disposables when going out, so she wore onesies then. I do think it takes time to figure out what works for you. Last time I started out with only onesies...

apeydef, I like onesies when going out, there are so many cute ones nowadays. I just find them inconvenient for home use especially when doing diaper-free time, EC, or cloth diapers with covers. When dd wore shirts, she can last a whole day in a shirt, where as onesies often needed to be changed if they got wet/soiled.
KatelynRose likes this.

#2 due December 2014!
#22 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I found, with my last baby, that I didn't put any clothes on her for the first week! She was swaddled or we did tons of skin to skin time. As a result, she is my most cuddly little girl! That being said, I have a love/hate relationship with onesies.... I like them because they don't bunch up, but when baby has a blowout or makes a mess, it's a pain to get them off without getting yuckies everywhere! I really would only put them on baby when we went out somewhere.
KatelynRose likes this.
#23 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
galatea, I checked out Zutano's website-- the designs are cute but clothing pricey!

I only ever bought them on clearance with coupons from amazon or it's sister sites. Their pants and footies have wide butts so you can fit cloth diapers easily.

#24 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:

katelynrose, after cutting off the flats, the onesies basically became shirts. I cut off the flaps off onesies that were worn out though, and just use them at home. If you can sew, you can probably make them into little shirts. I'm having trouble finding shirts priced as low as onesies from 0-6 months. My dd used disposables when going out, so she wore onesies then. I do think it takes time to figure out what works for you. Last time I started out with only onesies...

apeydef, I like onesies when going out, there are so many cute ones nowadays. I just find them inconvenient for home use especially when doing diaper-free time, EC, or cloth diapers with covers. When dd wore shirts, she can last a whole day in a shirt, where as onesies often needed to be changed if they got wet/soiled.
I don't CD so I'm not aware of the diaper free time until now lol. I'm assuming g it's something done when CDing!
#25 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'll share my own personal experience. I've found that many really cute little clothes don't fit over big ol' cloth diapers ( I've CD'd all mine). I've found no jeans at all that fit, and few pants made of anything but stretchy fabrics. So, I just collect lots and lots of cute baggy little sweat pants. I find those are the best fit over CDs all the way to potty training. There are a few exceptions- like I found a pair of cute pink corduroy pants my 2yo DD could wear that were a 3t. But once she potty trained the pants didn't stay up anymore.

Gowns are my favorite for the newborn phase. New babies are just so teeny and floppy and fragile. I hate trying to guide their squishy little arms and legs in complicated pjs and outfits. And for at least a few weeks after birth their preferred position is all curled up in the fetal position. Letting them curl up in soft, roomy gowns looks comfiest to me. When I have cold weather babies I keep them in a onesie and sweats under the gown.

In my experience, I can't stand underclothes that don't snap in the crotch! Lol if it can't snap, the shirt/onesies immediately climbs and bunches up in their little armpits. I also prefer them as the baby gets older because it keeps their skin from being exposed each time I pick them up. If their shirt isn't snapped in the crotch, the whole thing lifts while I pick them up. Brr!

Lastly, I never buy brand new clothes. They are way too expensive. I scour the thrift stores and consignment sales. In my area there is a twice yearly consignment sale at the fairgrounds called "Just Between Friends". I know there are others... In Oregon there was one called "Pass it On". Amazing bargains on everything pregnancy, baby and child related. I can't recommend them enough! I've not spent over $3 on any piece of maternity clothes, like, ever. And they're nice, clean clothes.

You'll probably get plenty of brand new clothes gifted to you after birth. People love shopping for new babies.

One last thought. Newborns are not messy and they grow really, really ( too!) fast. You really need very few newborn sized pieces of clothing. Since my children arrive pretty chunky, I don't actually use any NB size things except gowns. NB sized CDs don't fit at all (I purchase ours from Green Mountain online). None of this was true for my 5lb premie though.
girlspn, randic116 and KatelynRose like this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#26 of 47 Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 PM

yeah, I gave away ALL my newborn to 12 month girl clothes because I was told this baby was a boy and it is our last... but then... surprise! it turns out she is a GIRL after all and so, even after already having 2 daughters, I am starting her wardrobe from scratch. I plan to just have some footy zipper pajamas, some long sleeve onesies, some pants, and some baby leggings (for baby wearing in the winter-- pant legs ride up, so I like to have an extra layer to cover the ankles when wearing). I know friends and family always love to gift the cute but impractical stuff (like dresses) so I won't worry about buying those just yet.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 5, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
#27 of 47 Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 AM

This might sound a bit snobby on my behalf, but it annoyed me when I was pregnant with Connor. Anyone who insisted on buying things I asked them not to (like clothes and blankets), bought them anyway even though he was more than covered on those! The thing that really got to me though- they were either all newborn with no gift receipts to exchange for larger sizes, blankets that could never practically be used, or... the thing that I felt was the worse... SPORTS RELATED! They got the baby outfits with THEIR favorite sports team branded on them. I forgot all about them until I went to get all of his onesies the other day, and I have a small box of sports clothing. Newborns don't need branded clothing like that! And they were also of teams I'd never support because I'm not a fan! /end rant

Sorry, but that killed me. What baby needs a mini jersey for the Nets, Patriots, yada yada yada??
girlspn likes this.

Sarah & DH Alan 

#28 of 47 Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
This might sound a bit snobby on my behalf, but it annoyed me when I was pregnant with Connor. Anyone who insisted on buying things I asked them not to (like clothes and blankets), bought them anyway even though he was more than covered on those! The thing that really got to me though- they were either all newborn with no gift receipts to exchange for larger sizes, blankets that could never practically be used, or... the thing that I felt was the worse... SPORTS RELATED! They got the baby outfits with THEIR favorite sports team branded on them. I forgot all about them until I went to get all of his onesies the other day, and I have a small box of sports clothing. Newborns don't need branded clothing like that! And they were also of teams I'd never support because I'm not a fan! /end rant

Sorry, but that killed me. What baby needs a mini jersey for the Nets, Patriots, yada yada yada??
I agree. My first was a boy and people bought him little baseball outfits, complete with caps (he was born in the spring.) Seeing the baseball caps completely freaked me out, as I pictured a head of that size coming through my vagina! But people who are having girls get totally useless ruffly dresses in NB size, so I guess it evens out.
crazyms and badwolf092087 like this.

#29 of 47 Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM

@badwolf092087 - I definitely plan on checking out goodwill! If nothing else, I can find adult tees and such there that I can transform into homemade gowns or pants for pretty darn cheap.
Oh gosh it would annoy me so much to get a bunch of sports-team related items! You don't sound snobby. I mean yay for free clothes but in my opinion it's actually rather rude of them to be trying to label your baby with THEIR favorite teams. I wouldn't be too pleased either.

Awww @randic116 that is so precious! I'm definitely making a few swaddling blankets for him in case he's cold, but holding him close skin to skin sounds like a dream. I am not planning on buying newborn clothing because from what I hear it's basically useless since they grow so fast, and I can imagine myself holding him skin to skin much more in my early days. This is my very first, and so I imagine I will want to curl up in my nest/cave of a home alone with him and JB, enjoying being a new mother and staring at his sweetness.

It sounds like everyone has a love/hate relationship with onesies. I will probably get some of them, just because they are CHEAP and simple, and I can always cut off the flaps if I have to later on haha. I will probably put onesies on when we go out, especially while it's cold (I can get the long-sleeved ones) .. I'm going to make my own gowns since I've only found very expensive ones, or ones that look like nighty-night clothes with clouds or stars (which I don't want him to have to wear all the time). I will also have baby leggings for sure, which are also easy to make on a budget and seem to be good for keeping their legs warm in the winter. Everyone I've heard who has baby leggings loves them.

Thank you THANK YOU @zjande for mentioning "Pass it on"!!! I am so much less stressed now that I know that will be happening next spring, around when this little one is four-five months old. I am thrilled to find out about such a huge consignment sale in my area!

#30 of 47 Old 07-17-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
In my experience, I can't stand underclothes that don't snap in the crotch! Lol if it can't snap, the shirt/onesies immediately climbs and bunches up in their little armpits. I also prefer them as the baby gets older because it keeps their skin from being exposed each time I pick them up. If their shirt isn't snapped in the crotch, the whole thing lifts while I pick them up. Brr!
I never thought of this! My daughter was born in the summer so it didn't matter much... this time it will be different though.

I'm also envious of all you mamas with access to secondhand/thrift stores! The secondhand market here is almost nonexistent, so I usually order from Amazon or other online vendors if the deal is good enough. Sometimes even paying international shipping is cheaper than buying here.

#2 due December 2014!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page