• 1 Post By KatelynRose
  • 1 Post By zjande

#1 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
DIY/Crafts for Baby

Hello everyone!

I've been absent for a few months. I needed to get away from the forums during my first trimester because I'm such a nervous nancy and I apply anything negative happening to others to myself and then freak out over it. I hope you all understand. :laugh:

These new forums are crazy! I don't understand why they changed them...

Anywho, in case anyone is wondering, I am doing quite well. DH and I had quite the scare though last Wednesday, I went to the restroom in the morning and saw a small bit of blood on the wipe and I FREAKED OUT. TOTALLY FREAKED. Called my midwife in blubbering tears and she consoled me and had me go in for an ultrasound (I didn't plan on having one until 22 weeks or so, and I was 16 weeks last wednesday according to the first day of my last period calculations).. we found out our baby is ABSOLUTELY FINE nothing wrong at all, and it's a BOY. So we are thrilled :grin: Also we learned I was actually 16 wks 3 days last wednesday, which makes my official due date December 14.

Ever since I found out I'm having a boy, I've been obsessed over him. I'm already in preparation mode.. which brings me to the point of this discussion: I have been obsessing over baby crafts to do to get ready for him. Does anyone else have anything going on? I'd love to talk about the different things we are preparing for our babies! Also, maybe in the future we could "craft swap" or something.. that might be cute.

Here are some things I'm going to be making:

1. Buying cheap cotton onesies and tie-dyeing them with NON-TOXIC dyes, + regular solid-dyeing some of them so I can paint/applique different things onto them (I've been practicing my dinosaur and amphibian drawings ever since we found out we are having a boy haha)

2. Making baby-booties (I know his feet will grow so fast so I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on booties, and I found a pattern that I can adjust as he ages and add soles with good traction to once he starts walking. I imagine he will be barefoot as often as possible, though. I just want to prepare for the cold he will be born into!) Two resources: (http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/hea...y_booties.html) & (http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/10/diy-mo.html)

3. Decorating some burp cloths, but being careful to keep them absorbent (I heard people who used cotton to sew onto diapers-turned-burp-cloths had trouble getting it to absorb, so I plan on using fabrics that are absorbent). (http://www.petitelemon.com/blog/2011...-a-burp-cloth/)

4. Making baby/toddler pants out of up-cycled T-shirts. (http://montanasolarcreations.com/201...-tutorial.html)
- found this one for making them out of old long sleeves: (http://prudentbaby.com/2011/03/baby-...eater-pants-2/)

5. Baby-wrap-carrier.. You can make them for SO MUCH CHEAPER than you can buy them. Very economical, and you can make two at a time pretty darn simply, so I will definitely be making my own, although I'm asking for one professionally-made one as a gift. Two tutorials, same general concept: (http://vauvasaurus.wordpress.com/201...an-kantoliina/) & (http://bestmilehighmom.blogspot.com....rrier.html?m=1)

6. Hooded Baby Towel/ Hooded baby blanket. For wrapping baby all cute style. (http://onesimplebliss.blogspot.com/2...owels.html?m=1) / (http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/...cloth-set.html)
-Here's the one I found recently that I find more simple: (http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2012/0....html?spref=pi)

7. Gauzy baby swaddle cloths. I hear swaddling blankets at target go for $35 per 3-pack! That is NUTS. I'm going to make my own using gauzy fabric, cut into 1.25 yard pieces so I have squares, then hemming the sides so they don't fray. So simple, and for SO MUCH LESS MONEY. (http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/03/ce...-blankets.html)

8. Baby leg warmers made from adult knee-high socks. It'll be so cold and I hear leg warmers make it easier for diaper changes! They're very easy to make from socks, so I'll be making a few bargain pairs. (http://rabitstew.wordpress.com/2011/...y-leg-warmers/)

9. DIY Baby wipes.. I saw a recipe for an all-natural solution that you mix in a bucket (like an old plastic ice cream bucket or something that has a lid), then dip in a roll of paper towels that you've cut in half, then flip it to soak the other half through.. and bam! You have cheap, all-natural baby wipes. I loved this idea. (http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com...aby-wipes.html)
-Found this recipe I like it much better: (http://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/)

10. If I still have any energy after making all of those things.. I kind of think these cardigan-looking onesies are the most adorable thing and I'd love to make one, but it takes much more skill than the other simple projects I've lined up for myself, and I just started my own health/fitness blog so I have a lot on my plate. Here's the tutorial: (I'm not big on the bowties but someone else might be, I just like the cardigan idea) http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2014/04...e-bowties.html
*on second thought! I doubt these will happen. They are more complicated than I want to get into with such a long list!

11. OOPS almost forgot. I want to make my own all-purpose Mamma/Baby Salve. Found a great little recipe here: http://offbeatfamilies.com/2010/02/h...ake-mama-salve

... Somewhere in there I need to make some nursing pads for myself too hehehe...

:smile: That's it for now.. I might add more if I can get these things done, but I'd love to hear what other people are making!
MamaNicole likes this.

Last edited by KatelynRose; 07-20-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Adding other links plus a few comments.
#2 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have made a quilt for each of my babies. They still carry them around and are great for couch blankets. I still have the baby quilt that my grandma made me when I was born. Other than that I probably won't do too much although I would love to learn to crochet.
#3 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'm also interested in learning to crochet! My aunt said she will teach me when she comes to visit, but that'll be after baby is born. She said it's actually quite cheap to take up crocheting, and I've seen beautiful things her and my cousin have made, so I'm excited to learn. I've thought about trying to learn via youtube video or something, but I have so many other projects I'd like to do first that I haven't gotten to it yet.

Oh that's lovely that you quilt! My aunt also quilts, but I've bought a few books about it and it seems quite difficult so I've been nervous to try my hand at it. I've stuck to very simple projects... but my grandmother quilted and I still have a few quilts she made me when I was a baby, so I think it's very special :throb
#4 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Starting with a pattern that is just evenly sized squares is the easiest, and you can still have fun with colors and patterns. I usually just tie mine with yarn and don't do the traditional quilting. The quilts may not hold for 100 years but they last for at least 30 :) . Any time you learn a new craft like crocheting or quilting it can be daunting until you see how easy it is. That being said I still haven't learned to crochet. . . someday maybe.
#5 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
this thread is amazing! 😃 I am all into Amigurumi crochet right now and learned it all by myself from youtube.. I have three kids and still have projects for each of them then i can start one for the baby 😃 I just hope he won't be born by that time 😳
#6 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm also making a quilt for this baby. I made wipes and burp cloths before my daughter was born and they were really useful. I'll just use those same ones again. I also did a few applique onesies for Father's Day, which was fun. I made homemade wipe solution and butt cream for my daughter, which I'll do again for this one. The butt cream was just coconut oil with lavender EO, so nothing fancy.

I think that's the max of my craftiness this time around. I totally fell in love with quilting and even though I'm a VERY beginner sewer, I just finished a twin size quilt I'm very happy with, so it's easier than you think. Just a lot of steps. But making a quilt means I won't be making much else since I'll be working full time until the baby is born.

I'm glad your scare turned out totally fine. I had bleeding at 5 weeks this time and it was terrifying, especially after my miscarriage in January. Here's to healthy beans!
#7 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome back KatelynRose!
I wondered where you went. Great craft ideas!
#8 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh LilyTiger I'm happy to hear you've tried just a simple mix of coconut oil + lavender EO! That'll probably be my go-to baby bum cream! Easy and inexpensive .. And yes! Healthy beans!! Herehere!

You guys have encouraged me to try the quilting thing.. thanks for making it seem less daunting!

Ekatherina- I had to look up Amigurumi.. So adorable! How long do your projects take to complete? What an awesome way to make children's toys... & hopefully time doesn't go by TOO fast before all these December babies come, I still have so much I need to prepare ahhhh

Since this is my first I have so many things to collect so I'm prepared, but I'll just save everything for the next time around so I don't have such a long to do list! I just really want to spend the least amount of money possible, especially on his clothes since he will grow through them so fast!

Hey jmay! Thanks! Good to see you again

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#9 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I used just plain ol coconut oil, that works too!
#10 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I just found this baby wipe solution recipe, I like it a lot more than the one I posted before: http://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/ .. Plus I like the idea of reusable baby wipes, since we are doing cloth diapers anyway and I see a lot of laundry in my near future... I'll probably end up doing the paper towel version sometimes though. Either way, I like the recipe for this mixture better. I'm a fan of dr. Bronners, I trust that product.

Coconut oil is a miracle for me since I'm trying to use the lowest cost items! I'm going to stock up before baby comes, I found its so much cheaper to buy online in larger amounts .. They rip you off at the grocery store it's crazy!

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#11 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I made my own wipes with paper towel. Using viva paper towel is a must! I used 1 or two cups distilled water, 1 tbs coconut oil and 1 tbs baby wash? I pinned it on Pinterest so I would have to go back and check. I did it for awhile. But when my son got older I got lazy about it. I don't cloth diapers but if I did I would probably use wAsh clothes too. If you already have to wash the diapers, what's some poopy clothes to add ? Lol might as well.
#12 of 17 Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Another idea is to simply cut up receiving blankets into baby wipe sized squares. Those small baby blankets can be found super cheaply at thrift stores and such. I just chopped a few up, wet them in the sink and toss them in an old wipes box. Super convenient for diapering and face washing. I throw them in the wash with the diapers. I find tossing the whole wad of dirty diap/dirty wipes in the pail in one fell swoop more efficient than fishing around for all the disposable yucky wipes I just used to take them over to a trash can.

I LOVE tie dye. All my last 5 babies have had the same wildly bright, colorful tie dye gown as their first piece of clothing. ❤️I'll treasure that adorable gown forever!

Those cut socks/baby leg warmers are also handy when baby has a diaper rash in chilly weather. I like to keep the rashy babe in only a diaper- no cover, to give their bum lots of air and so I can change them again the moment they're wet. The socks keep their legs warm while they're in only the diaper.
KatelynRose likes this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#13 of 17 Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

@apeydef thanks for the tip on the paper towel brand! All of the tutorials I've seen warn you must use strong ones but they don't give advice on which particular brand.
Still, since we are going the cloth diaper route I will most likely be making reusable. It seems easy enough (like @zjande is saying) to just toss all the dirties together and wash them all at once! We really do try to cut down on our trash output unless we can't avoid it. Also I'm trying to keep things AS SIMPLE as possible, especially since this is my first! Hopefully that works out... I like your idea about cutting up thrift store receiving blankets! I don't have any of my own yet, and I'm using most of our old shirts to make my own onesies, so I'll have to check out thrift stores for more supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
I LOVE tie dye. All my last 5 babies have had the same wildly bright, colorful tie dye gown as their first piece of clothing. ❤️I'll treasure that adorable gown forever!

Those cut socks/baby leg warmers are also handy when baby has a diaper rash in chilly weather. I like to keep the rashy babe in only a diaper- no cover, to give their bum lots of air and so I can change them again the moment they're wet. The socks keep their legs warm while they're in only the diaper.
YAYYYY I'm glad to have someone approve of my tie dye project
I'm very excited about the colorful outfits I will produce!! I think they'll look adorable on the little guy.. And even if he has a sister later on down the road she will look good in tie dye too

Ooh good tip for diaper rash times! I definitely can see baby leg warmers coming in handy this winter! It'll be nice to be able to change him without worrying about pants hah.. Plus I'm making a few up cycled tshirt outfits that will work well with the leg warmers if it's too chilly to go without. They are SO cheap and simple to make it's an easy option for me. It's awesome thinking about how wonderfully functional they will be! I didn't even think about them beating so breathable for the baby's little rump!

#14 of 17 Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thank you KatelynRose. This is a great thread. I'm looking forward to trying some of these links.

I already have lots of white clothes and a tie-dye kit ready to go!

Oh, and welcome back
#15 of 17 Old 07-20-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love to make baby a quilt, so hard to sew big things with a toddler these days! I use to quilt all the time before...

I have been dying a few things and want to start tie dying some baby stuff, love seeing babies in tie dye makes me smile big.

I would like to make a cloth baby banner saying welcome baby and another saying happy birthday to hang up. The birthday one we can keep using for everyone.

I make herbal salves and sell them locally so a big batch of baby balm will be made.

Crocheting a hat for baby is easy and plan on doing that too!

Will see what I actually get done... hopefully when my guy starts preschool in the end of August I can do some of these things!

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#16 of 17 Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
KatelynRose! just saw your post, thank you for the warm words in my spotlight thread ....amigurumi projects are short that is why I LOVE them . Start with youtube videos, after that you will be used to the instructions and it will be easier for you to read them, rather than watch them. So much more written ones than youtube ones!

About the quilt I was thinking to do it from Granny squares. Crochet and knitting seems just so much easier to me than sewing with kids around. Anyone tried that?

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#17 of 17 Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

YAY for more tie-dyed baby things!! Hehehe.. I LOVE IT so colorful!

I feel like my list of projects is so long but some of them are quite easy. The only thing I worry about is sewing on my cheap sewing machine, I'm hoping the things I sew will hold up. I suppose I just need to make sure I've bought strong thread? I probably won't get to the hooded baby blanket.. I found an easier hooded baby towel to make I'll post it up there because I can see myself making that. (I'll post a few more variations to these things in my original post because I've found more simple ideas, like making baby pants from sleeves of old sweaters/long sleeves)

I want to make my own gowns from a package of white Hanes tshirts because I found a pattern for 6-12 months (the jumper onesie pattern I posted above, I'm just going to modify it to have an elastic band at the bottom instead of snapped shorts) .. I found a bunch of 0-3 month clothes at a garage sale for pretty cheap, so I'll probably tie dye some 3-6 month white onesies as well as the 6-12 month gowns that I make from the onesies. Tie dye for all stages hahaha!

Ekatherina, thanks for the tip! I just started looking into learning simple crochet from YouTube, and it was very nice to be able to see a visual of how it's done, it made much more sense than just reading instructions from a book. I'd love to start crocheting things (or even try my hand at Amigurumi) before the baby comes but I do have so many other projects we will see if I make time. If not I think crochet/Amigurumi is something I could still do while he is young, so I can make him hats and booties and little toys to snuggle with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page