I've been absent for a few months. I needed to get away from the forums during my first trimester because I'm such a nervous nancy and I apply anything negative happening to others to myself and then freak out over it. I hope you all understand. :laugh:
These new forums are crazy! I don't understand why they changed them...
Anywho, in case anyone is wondering, I am doing quite well. DH and I had quite the scare though last Wednesday, I went to the restroom in the morning and saw a small bit of blood on the wipe and I FREAKED OUT. TOTALLY FREAKED. Called my midwife in blubbering tears and she consoled me and had me go in for an ultrasound (I didn't plan on having one until 22 weeks or so, and I was 16 weeks last wednesday according to the first day of my last period calculations).. we found out our baby is ABSOLUTELY FINE nothing wrong at all, and it's a BOY. So we are thrilled :grin: Also we learned I was actually 16 wks 3 days last wednesday, which makes my official due date December 14.
Ever since I found out I'm having a boy, I've been obsessed over him. I'm already in preparation mode.. which brings me to the point of this discussion: I have been obsessing over baby crafts to do to get ready for him. Does anyone else have anything going on? I'd love to talk about the different things we are preparing for our babies! Also, maybe in the future we could "craft swap" or something.. that might be cute.
Here are some things I'm going to be making:
1. Buying cheap cotton onesies and tie-dyeing them with NON-TOXIC dyes, + regular solid-dyeing some of them so I can paint/applique different things onto them (I've been practicing my dinosaur and amphibian drawings ever since we found out we are having a boy haha)
2. Making baby-booties (I know his feet will grow so fast so I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on booties, and I found a pattern that I can adjust as he ages and add soles with good traction to once he starts walking. I imagine he will be barefoot as often as possible, though. I just want to prepare for the cold he will be born into!) Two resources: (http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/hea...y_booties.html
) & (http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/10/diy-mo.html
3. Decorating some burp cloths, but being careful to keep them absorbent (I heard people who used cotton to sew onto diapers-turned-burp-cloths had trouble getting it to absorb, so I plan on using fabrics that are absorbent). (http://www.petitelemon.com/blog/2011...-a-burp-cloth/
4. Making baby/toddler pants out of up-cycled T-shirts. (http://montanasolarcreations.com/201...-tutorial.html
- found this one for making them out of old long sleeves: (http://prudentbaby.com/2011/03/baby-...eater-pants-2/
5. Baby-wrap-carrier.. You can make them for SO MUCH CHEAPER than you can buy them. Very economical, and you can make two at a time pretty darn simply, so I will definitely be making my own, although I'm asking for one professionally-made one as a gift. Two tutorials, same general concept: (http://vauvasaurus.wordpress.com/201...an-kantoliina/
) & (http://bestmilehighmom.blogspot.com....rrier.html?m=1
6. Hooded Baby Towel/ Hooded baby blanket. For wrapping baby all cute style. (http://onesimplebliss.blogspot.com/2...owels.html?m=1
) / (http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/...cloth-set.html
-Here's the one I found recently that I find more simple: (http://knitnatak.blogspot.com/2012/0....html?spref=pi
7. Gauzy baby swaddle cloths. I hear swaddling blankets at target go for $35 per 3-pack! That is NUTS. I'm going to make my own using gauzy fabric, cut into 1.25 yard pieces so I have squares, then hemming the sides so they don't fray. So simple, and for SO MUCH LESS MONEY. (http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/03/ce...-blankets.html
8. Baby leg warmers made from adult knee-high socks. It'll be so cold and I hear leg warmers make it easier for diaper changes! They're very easy to make from socks, so I'll be making a few bargain pairs. (http://rabitstew.wordpress.com/2011/...y-leg-warmers/
9. DIY Baby wipes.. I saw a recipe for an all-natural solution that you mix in a bucket (like an old plastic ice cream bucket or something that has a lid), then dip in a roll of paper towels that you've cut in half, then flip it to soak the other half through.. and bam! You have cheap, all-natural baby wipes. I loved this idea. (http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com...aby-wipes.html
-Found this recipe I like it much better: (http://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/
10. If I still have any energy after making all of those things.. I kind of think these cardigan-looking onesies are the most adorable thing and I'd love to make one, but it takes much more skill than the other simple projects I've lined up for myself, and I just started my own health/fitness blog so I have a lot on my plate. Here's the tutorial: (I'm not big on the bowties but someone else might be, I just like the cardigan idea) http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2014/04...e-bowties.html
*on second thought! I doubt these will happen. They are more complicated than I want to get into with such a long list!
11. OOPS almost forgot. I want to make my own all-purpose Mamma/Baby Salve. Found a great little recipe here: http://offbeatfamilies.com/2010/02/h...ake-mama-salve
... Somewhere in there I need to make some nursing pads for myself too hehehe...
:smile: That's it for now.. I might add more if I can get these things done, but I'd love to hear what other people are making!