Fit While Pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Fit While Pregnant

What are you doing for exercise during your pregnancy? I really want to try prenatal yoga this time but I have a fear of falling asleep in class (I have numerous times with regular yoga). I'm also ready to start walking on the indoor track at our rec center and maybe do some swimming.
#2 of 22 Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am just now getting to the point where I can attempt any sort of workout. The nausea was just too bad for a while. I have been doing yoga, not prenatal yoga because I find it rather boring and slow but I am sure when my belly is huge I will change my mind :)
#3 of 22 Old 06-20-2014, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
So far this week Ive traipsed over our land chasing a naughty steer back into his pasture, shoveled a few hundred pounds of rabbit manure into bags to fertilize the garden next year, and everything else I do with my 13 mo old or 2 yr old on my hip. I hope that counts! 😋 when I'm really feeling like I've been sluggy, I pull the kids up and down the driveway in the wagon. 😊
#4 of 22 Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I just started up again after super fatigue in the latter half of the first tri. I've been doing circuit/interval workouts and long walks on off days. Squats, pushups, lunges, and dips have been my go-to until I can get back into weights again. I'm aiming for three days a week, though I've probably only been averaging two.
#5 of 22 Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I worked up the nerve to a buy a swimsuit this weekend that fits me now and will accommodate my growing belly. I plan to test it out this Friday evening at the pool.
#6 of 22 Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I just started feeling up to except use. I find when I'm pregnant walking works best for me. I can go as long or short a distance as I'm feeling up to at that moment. The kids like walks too. I also like swimming.
#7 of 22 Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM

I was pregnant two summers ago so I was lucky to already have a bathing suit :)
#8 of 22 Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
walking and yoga is my plan for this pregnancy. I'm trying not throw out my back when lifting my 2 year old, so picking her up is a workout in itself! LOL
#9 of 22 Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
@zjande that definitely counts!!! You're so lucky, livin' the life! Working out comes naturally when you're running a family farm.. it's our dream to be doing the same as soon as we can get ahold of some land and start getting set up.

I've been mildly active. I've been doing squats, dips, pushups, lunges, planking, and marching around my house. I try to go walking at least 3x each week for a few miles. I've been less active than I'd like to be, but I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. I have been inspired by women doing all sorts of things while pregnant: planking (that's how I found out I can allow myself to keep up planking), doing yoga (even headstands!), running (i'm not a runner but it's incredible that people can continue while pregnant).. etc. It makes me feel less breakable knowing that I am able to do many of the things I was doing before that I enjoy.

Mostly I'm trying to stick to only healthy, whole foods. Breads and pastas make me feel more bloated so I'm staying away from those as much as possible since they don't do anything for the baby anyway. Hopefully eating healthy plus mild exercise will keep me in shape.. I'm very weight conscious and it makes me feel down to gain too much. I know what I need to gain to have a healthy baby but I don't want to gain any more than that. I've heard horror stories of women gaining 80-90 lbs.. that's ridiculous! Nearly double what I hope to gain! Yikes. Talking about it makes me want to do some squats hahaha
#10 of 22 Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM

I gained about 35 with my lady pregnancy and it fell right off. If you stick to 25-35lbs you should have no trouble loosing. That's the recommended. Less if your overweight more if your underweight.
#11 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM

I just started the free 6-week bootcamp from Sisterhood of the Shrinking Pants. It's a good routine, just 3 days a week. I can't do the sprints because running is uncomfortable, so I do somewhat higher intensity "sprints" on the rowing machine or another cardio machine. It's been good so far. I feel sore in a good way and feel like my muscles are coming back.

I'm also trying to avoid sugar (though not really in ice cream form... that's a serious weakness). But sugar and processed carbs in general have been making me feel weird lately, so I'm trying to limit them. I never ate a lot of them to begin with, but pregnancy pushes me toward carbs and sugar. Scaling back has been difficult.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#12 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
@apeydef that's awesome to hear because 35 was really the limit I had in mind!

Oh man LilyTiger you are beating my activity! Haha I'd like to ramp up my exercising but I've been so careful with myself since my harmless scare, even though everything is absolutely fine I don't see my midwife for a full checkup until tomorrow afternoon so I've been waiting to talk to her and get reassurance about working out as usual. I know she will encourage it but I still want to hear the words out of her mouth in person before I go ahead.. I'm so silly I know. But YES to pregnancy pushing me toward carbs and sugar (they go together).. We usually eat so healthy, sticking to traditional foods with very little whole grain breads/pasta occasionally, mostly meats, veggies, dairy, and eggs.. Nowadays though I am weak to my sweet tooth I feel guilty about it so I try to hold back.. But I just can't help getting chocolate ice cream cravings ahhh! Deliciousness. I need to keep a post it note on my hand when I go to the store that reminds me not to feed sugar to my baby .. I do try to satisfy my sweets cravings by going for fruit instead of sweets. Pineapples have been my best best friend, especially cut up and added to vanilla Greek yogurt nommmm. So that works sometimes

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#13 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
In my last pregnancy I followed Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga dvd at home, starting 22 weeks. I was able to practice all the poses until the day I went into labor. The yoga is gentle and and there's guided meditation at the end, which helped prepare me mentally for labor. Even though the yoga is gentle, holding the poses built strong muscles. The dvd is also divided into chapters so you can start with one chapter and work up to the rest, or just do what you like. I didn't exercise at all before 22 weeks (bed rest because fear of m/c) at that time so was pretty weak when I started. I started walking daily as well and built up to around 5 miles a day near labor.

This time I haven't done much except occasional swimming with my dd until now. It's so hard to find time and motivation with a toddler! I'm getting ready to start the yoga dvd again though.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#14 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynRose View Post
@apeydef that's awesome to hear because 35 was really the limit I had in mind!

Oh man LilyTiger you are beating my activity! Haha I'd like to ramp up my exercising but I've been so careful with myself since my harmless scare, even though everything is absolutely fine I don't see my midwife for a full checkup until tomorrow afternoon so I've been waiting to talk to her and get reassurance about working out as usual. I know she will encourage it but I still want to hear the words out of her mouth in person before I go ahead.. I'm so silly I know. But YES to pregnancy pushing me toward carbs and sugar (they go together).. We usually eat so healthy, sticking to traditional foods with very little whole grain breads/pasta occasionally, mostly meats, veggies, dairy, and eggs.. Nowadays though I am weak to my sweet tooth I feel guilty about it so I try to hold back.. But I just can't help getting chocolate ice cream cravings ahhh! Deliciousness. I need to keep a post it note on my hand when I go to the store that reminds me not to feed sugar to my baby .. I do try to satisfy my sweets cravings by going for fruit instead of sweets. Pineapples have been my best best friend, especially cut up and added to vanilla Greek yogurt nommmm. So that works sometimes
Omg I had some really good pineapple a couple weeks ago! Now I want some. I put it in cottage cheese but yogurt would be good too.
#15 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlspn View Post
In my last pregnancy I followed Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga dvd at home, starting 22 weeks. I was able to practice all the poses until the day I went into labor. The yoga is gentle and and there's guided meditation at the end, which helped prepare me mentally for labor. Even though the yoga is gentle, holding the poses built strong muscles. The dvd is also divided into chapters so you can start with one chapter and work up to the rest, or just do what you like. I didn't exercise at all before 22 weeks (bed rest because fear of m/c) at that time so was pretty weak when I started. I started walking daily as well and built up to around 5 miles a day near labor.

This time I haven't done much except occasional swimming with my dd until now. It's so hard to find time and motivation with a toddler! I'm getting ready to start the yoga dvd again though.
I hear you. With my last pregnancy I was way more active. My dd was 3 so she wasn't in that stage of having to chase around! Now with this pregnancy, my DS is 20 months. He's just entering the "I'm a handful, I want to do it my way" stage. He doesn't really like sitting in the stroller for long either! I can maybe get a 15-20 min walk in.
#16 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
I hear you. With my last pregnancy I was way more active. My dd was 3 so she wasn't in that stage of having to chase around! Now with this pregnancy, my DS is 20 months. He's just entering the "I'm a handful, I want to do it my way" stage. He doesn't really like sitting in the stroller for long either! I can maybe get a 15-20 min walk in.
20 months is a tough age, and I can't imagine what it must be like with with more than 1 kid! I'm trying to stay on my feet more, e.g. typing while standing up, to make up for lack of exercise.

#2 due December 2014!
#17 of 22 Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I've started doing light cardio workouts with a personal trainer and hope to stay awake during a prenatal yoga class one day LOL

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Atlanta, GA
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#18 of 22 Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Can't afford classes at the moment or I'd do prenatal yoga. Keeping my own yoga practice going is not something I've been successful at doing without a class- when I can afford a regular class, I do a bit better. I always do at least a little when pregnant because daily cat-cows are what keep me walking in the last few weeks, instead of crawling from lower back pain. I got a book "Yoga Birth Method" from the library today and ordered another one by Jeannine Parvati Baker. We'll see if it has an impact. Gardening has been my best workout lately. I miss contra dancing regularly, there isn't a dance here.

~Alison
#19 of 22 Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 AM

crunchymama, I used a DVD because yoga classes are so expensive in my area.

I feel like yoga would help me more this time. I'm getting back pain quite early.

#2 due December 2014!
#20 of 22 Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 AM

yogisanonymous.com has tons of online yoga classes, including prenatal ones. It's $15 a month, but since I would be paying that for a single class in my area, it's a deal. Now to just get myself to do one...

I have my third bootcamp workout of the week today and then I'll do a rest day tomorrow. Yesterday was a rest day too, but I feel ok about it as long as I'm getting 3+ workouts in a week.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#21 of 22 Old 07-12-2014, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Have any of you tried to use one of those support belts for running during pregnancy? Do they actually work? I've been walking or walk/running, and doing some yoga or at least trying to fit in back stretches when there's no time for a full sequence. I miss my running endorphins, but even with a little belly bouncing around it's getting harder. Makes me feel like I'm gonna pee in my pants.
#22 of 22 Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspear View Post
Have any of you tried to use one of those support belts for running during pregnancy? Do they actually work? I've been walking or walk/running, and doing some yoga or at least trying to fit in back stretches when there's no time for a full sequence. I miss my running endorphins, but even with a little belly bouncing around it's getting harder. Makes me feel like I'm gonna pee in my pants.
Haha this made me giggle, I have no bladder control. I haven't tried the belt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page