• 2 Post By zjande
  • 3 Post By zjande
  • 1 Post By Chapsie

#1 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
*~*~*~*~Spotlight on Zjande! *~*~*~*~

Whats your favorite hobby? What's the most important thing you do for yourself for self-care?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
How did you come up with your screen name?

What's one of your guilty pleasures?
#3 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Oooh! Do you know any good jokes?
#4 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i think we are much alike as we both live on the farm 😃 so my question: do u miss the city-life?
#5 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How old will all the kids be when the new one comes? Are they all living at home still? Were they all born by cesarean?

Nice to have another grandmultipara about.

~Alison
#6 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Yikes I'm falling behind! I haven't even asked apeydef any questions yet! Time flies when I'm having fun and I fall behind in our DDC. I'm so glad we are in our own forum now.

Apeydef and Chapsie, I don't have many hobbies I guess (too busy), but I do love reading every time I get a chance! I don't enjoy fiction, but gobble up lots of books, blogs and message boards related to faith, farming, food, homeschooling and large families. Lately I've been planning like crazy for the new home school year. I enjoy it so much it's kinda like a hobby, right?

I'm still not seeing any signatures so I quickly wanted to mention my children's ages. Mine are 22 yo DD (who lives in town with her boyfriend), 16 yo DS, 8yo DS, 6yo DS, 4 yo DS, 2 yo DD, and 14 mo old boy.

Chapsie, ummm self care hmmm. I take a couple showers per week? I try to eat real healthy, does that count? The main reason we moved to the middle of nowhere and bought a farm was so we could raise as much of our own good foods as possible to raise our family on. We're self sufficient in all our meats, eggs, milk and have a zillion veggies and fruits planted. We've lived here 2 yrs this month. ❤️ My whole lifestyle is my hobby because I'm doing exactly what I've always dreamed of, everyday. ❤️

Maranapanda, I've been on MDC since the dinosaur ages. Back then I had only 2 children and I shared their names online ( we no longer do that). So, my weird username is actually the last 3 letters of my first 2 children's names. Everywhere else I am "rootsong".

Guilty pleasure? Is that something I feel guilty about taking pleasure in? I guess I don't really have any of those.. But I definitely have a weakness for books. And Duggar episodes. I've never had TV as an adult but I watch every 19 Kids and Counting episode I can get my hands on on YouTube!

I don't know any good jokes.

Ekatherina, my short answer is: NO! Lol. I spent about 16 yrs in and around San Francisco, then 5 next to Portland OR. That is more than enough city for my whole lifetime. There isn't one thing I miss about city life. We live very rurally now. I adore it every single day. ❤️❤️

Thanks for hosting this thread guys, and asking me stuff. It's been fun! I need to go milk the cow now.
crunchymama27 likes this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#7 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 PM

Ooh, I thought of something that's both a hobby and a guilty pleasure- my blog. I really enjoy blogging! But I just don't have the time, and I feel guilty when I take the time away from housework and children. I've not had time to update in forever, but I think about it everyday! Www.thisblessedlife-aubrey.blogspot.com.

Crunchymama, here is my breakdown:

Baby 1. Natural hospital birth (flat on my back)
2. Natural hospital birth (flat on my back again)
3. Natural midwife attended hospital birth (birthed squatting/kneeling. Amazing difference. I'll never lay on my back again!)
4. Unassisted homebirth. My favorite birth experience.
5. Midwife attended homebirth.
6. Midwife attended homebirth. Labor was 44 minutes!
7. I'd planned another homebirth only to suddenly find myself in hard labor at 33 weeks. Rushed to ER, baby was transverse and I was rushed in for a c-section.
8. Because my hospital does not allow VBACs and because the hospital is an hour away from me ( when we're not snowed in), I've decided on a repeat section this time. It was an extremely difficult decision.

The children will be 23, 16, 9, 7, 5, 3 and 20 months when our new squishy pink baby arrives. I mentioned that my eldest lives in town an hour away.
Chapsie and crunchymama27 like this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#8 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Did you always think you were going to have a big family, or has it just happened over the years? And will this new baby be your last? I love the idea of a big family, and give you so much credit!

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#9 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I was thinking the same thing as Badwolf, if having a big family is something you always planned on.
Like, did you dream of having many children when you were a kid yourself?
#10 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
@zjande we have a lot in common other than farming lol. I also love books/blogs/message boards on faith related topics..... and the Duggars. They are such an inspiration.
Can't wait to read your blog!!
#11 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
@zjande I am so inspired by your life! How long did it take you and your husband, after realizing your dreams of living on a farm, to actually get set up on some rural land? JB and I would love to be where you guys are within the next ten years, so I'm looking for an extra dose of hope by knowing someone else has made it work. We've been scoping out land and saving money.. We aren't too picky, just trying to find somewhere we can be sustainable. Would you have any tips for people like us?

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#12 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
What is the most helpful parenting advice you were ever given?
#13 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I love that you grow all your own food, we are working towards that as well, but finding it a slow process. my question is, how many acres do you have, and what is your favorite farm chore? Also, what is your favorite book of all time? The one you constantly reference or read over and over again.
#14 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
What is it like with so many kids? Do you ever feel stressed with rural living (vs city living)?

single mama to DD1 (June 2011) and DD2 (Dec 2014)
#15 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
Did you always think you were going to have a big family, or has it just happened over the years? And will this new baby be your last? I love the idea of a big family, and give you so much credit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetface View Post
Yes, I was thinking the same thing as Badwolf, if having a big family is something you always planned on.
Like, did you dream of having many children when you were a kid yourself?

I have always thought lots of kids sounded like lots of fun. When I was a kid I was always fantasizing about having lots of siblings. I just have my brother, 6 years younger. The moment I hit puberty my heart began squealing "babies! I want lots and lots of babies!!" I was never in a healthy enough relationship to realize my dream. I did run my own childcare for many years though. Then, finally, at the age of 30 God finally placed my now husband and I in each others' paths (I already had my 2 oldest children). That husband of mine was made just perfectly for me. ❤️ He's made all my lifelong dreams of a large family and a farm in the country come true. And he's my best friend in the whole world.

We often smile and joke about how it's too bad we couldn't have met sooner, we might have had a dozen children.

I would say its likely one more new family member may be sent our way.... I'll be nearly 41 when this one comes. It's a very complex subject for me that I could write a novel about, so I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
@zjande we have a lot in common other than farming lol. I also love books/blogs/message boards on faith related topics..... and the Duggars. They are such an inspiration.
Can't wait to read your blog!!
Thanks apeydef. I've gained an Enormous amount of inspiration from the Duggar family. Life changing. I'm so grateful that they've been willing to open their lives up to the public, risking all the mean and terrible criticism they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynRose View Post
@zjande I am so inspired by your life! How long did it take you and your husband, after realizing your dreams of living on a farm, to actually get set up on some rural land? JB and I would love to be where you guys are within the next ten years, so I'm looking for an extra dose of hope by knowing someone else has made it work. We've been scoping out land and saving money.. We aren't too picky, just trying to find somewhere we can be sustainable. Would you have any tips for people like us?
Well, it was 7 yrs after we met that we left city life forever and moved to a 20 acre rental near here. A yr later we bought our homestead. We had a several yr delay in moving from our city house due to stupid complications with the housing crash. We have 10 acres, surrounded by a zillion more unused gorgeous acres. Some advice from me would be: look for foreclosed properties, and look as far away from cities as you can manage. Ours was a HUD foreclosure way out in the boonies and cost under 90k if you can believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracha04 View Post
What is the most helpful parenting advice you were ever given?
Probably just this: that children are a blessing. They are a gift sent directly to us, to bless us. They're not an inconvenient accident. Any struggles I have in parenting are a blessing to my growth and maturity in this life. They are treasures I will hold with me always, long after all my material possessions rust and rot and disappear. ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by randic116 View Post
I love that you grow all your own food, we are working towards that as well, but finding it a slow process. my question is, how many acres do you have, and what is your favorite farm chore? Also, what is your favorite book of all time? The one you constantly reference or read over and over again.
Growing your food is a wonderful goal. We have 10 acres, and I'm really not sure what my favorite farm chore is... I really just enjoy the crazy busy farm life in general! Our favorite and very most referenced book by far: Carla Emory's Country Encyclopedia. There is just no comparison! After that I'd have to recommend everything Backwoods Home magazine has ever published. Great articles about homesteading by regular ol' people that are actually doing it. 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlspn View Post
What is it like with so many kids? Do you ever feel stressed with rural living (vs city living)?
Life with lots of children is loud, busy, hilarious, bursting with activity all day every day, totally fun, totally exhausting, and totally fulfilling. Thankfully they only come one at a time every couple yrs., there is plenty of adjustment time after each.

For me personally, city life equals stress. Country life (for me) equals peace, beauty and tranquility. ❤️

#16 of 21 Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM

Good Morning, @zjande , I know your spotlight is over but I'm hoping you don't mind another question that I have for you
I am always sharing your stories about your lifestyle with my DH.. We admire you and your family very much! We would also like to have a farm/homestead someday (as soon as we can), so that we may sustain ourselves and let our family grow large I just wondered... Do you have a very large house for all the kiddos? Do they share rooms, etc? Did you guys build it yourselves/ do you add on? We were considering the idea of placing an inexpensive mobile home on whatever property we find at first, then building our own home possibly from there? Of course it all depends on finances haha..

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#17 of 21 Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Thanks, Kate. 😊

You and JB are so lucky to have found each other at young ages and to be planning your homestead and large family dreams together already! ❤️ I pretty much wasted my 20s on partying and such stupid stuff.

We do not have a giant house! Our dreamy land came with a 1700 sf manufactured home on it. A huge, enormous blessing as I may have already mentioned- we thought in our price range we'd only be able to afford raw land. So when we found this way affordable land that came with a house, outbuildings, septic,driveway and everything, we were overjoyed!

It's just a 3 bd rm, 2 bath. Nothing at all fancy but has lots and lots of windows which I adore (also my husband installed wood floors through out and I looooove them). Right now, my DH, 2 yr old DD and 1 yr old son and I are in the master bedroom. My 16 yr old has his own room, and our boys who are 8, 6, and 4 share the 3rd bedroom. I'm sure everybody will get moved around eventually, more than once. It will be so interesting to see if this new baby is a boy or girl! Eventually our DD will be in her own room (not with brothers). We may move the herd of young boys to the master bedroom one day.

We've discussed the possibility of buying some sort of little trailer to put on our land someday for extra storage or space for all those little boys when they become man sized! ❤️
crunchymama27 and KatelynRose like this.
#18 of 21 Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How did you learn to handle cows and to milk? Do you milk by hand or machine? Tell me about the learning curve! We'd like to have a cow someday soon.
#19 of 21 Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Thank you so much for your response! It's very helpful, and I am glad to know you're able to make it work with an average amount of space, because I suddenly thought of that the other day and wondered how on earth we would make it function since I don't expect to have a mansion sized house ever! Hahaha!

I feel verrrrrry very lucky each and every day to have been united with JB! I am only 23, but he is 32 and he spent all of his 20s partying them away, plus we spent a few years partying together.. But I've always been sort of an old soul, and it is good he tired himself out some before we met hahaha it is a great blessing that we were put here on earth 9 years apart. The universe knew what it was doing our personalities met at exactly at the right time.

#20 of 21 Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama27 View Post
How did you learn to handle cows and to milk? Do you milk by hand or machine? Tell me about the learning curve! We'd like to have a cow someday soon.
Honestly, I am the last person on the planet you should ask about milking! LOL! I've never heard of anyone who had a harder time trying to learn How The Heck to properly milk a cow. I am simply not a natural. It took me a good 3 mos before I felt like I actually knew how to milk a cow. We hand milk by the way.

Though it didn't come naturally to me, there was a 2nd issue we weren't aware of until we got our next cow. I'd never milked a cow before we bought one. So, I had nothing to compare milking her to. It turns out that her teat holes were teeny tiny! It took a LOT more work and time to empty her udder than it took with the next cow. With the next cow, the milk came spraying out like a shower and it took about 1/3 the time to milk her!

However, that first cow (Gertie) had the perfect attitude for a beginning milker. Soooo patient and mellow while I yanked on her all those months I was learning. Our 2nd cow, Elsie, is a big old butthead. I've never quite bonded with her like I did Gertie. She just doesn't really like people. But she gives us near 3 gallons of milk daily right now!

We milk once per day. My 16 yr old son milks on the weekdays now because after about 18 mos of daily milking I had developed awful mean wicked carpal tunnel syndrome. I still milk on the weekends and whenever my son is off on his frequent Boy Scout adventures.

It'll be 3 yrs in Sept since we bought our first cow.

It's not easy to be tied to a cow- we can never miss a milking. Last week I had someplace I needed to be at 8am an hour away. I had to get out to milk Elsie at 5am! That wasn't fun, but I enjoyed the sunrise and the deer bouncing around the fields! More than anything though, its just worth it to us because we don't want to rely on the dirty, processed, homogenized, pasteurized, nutritionally inferior milk sold at the store.

Elsie had a little girl calf about 19 mos ago. We named her Heidi she is off on a date with a neighbor's bull. Hopefully she will come back with a calf in her belly! ❤️

Now that I have positively talked your ears off about cows , I need to get ready for my OB appt. 😊

#21 of 21 Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Love your cows' names!!
zjande likes this.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page