stroller thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
stroller thoughts?

So, we are planning a vacation to NC in September. We have three girls, 8, 4 and 2, we don't own a decent stroller, and I'm trying to decide if I should purchase one for this trip. We do have an ergo, but dd doesn't particularly enjoy it, as she is a very active child. I'd like to be able to "contain" her some of time, in museums, shops, etc. I'm also a bit of a stroller snob, so I don't want to just purchase a cheap umbrella stroller. I don't think it would work well for beach areas anyway. So, my question is, any suggestions for an inexpensive, lightweight, folds up small stroller? Right now I'm looking at the Maclaren. But I'm cheap. also, I'm short, barely five feet, but hubby is tall, almost six foot, so it needs to work for both of us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I just got a sit and stand. They have a seat and a bench and then also a baby seat clicks into either where the seat is or where the bench is. It also had a little part that comes out where a kid can stand and ride. Your 4 year old could go on the bench or stand and then your two year old could ride in the seat. I see them on Craig's list all the time for $40-60, but new they are $120-140. It golds up nice too.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
My husband is 6'2" and our old MacLaren was too short for him, though I loved it. We have owned two Baby Jogger City Minis now and I really love them. We got the GT for this baby because it has air tires, too.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yes, a jogging stroller with pneumatic tires is the easiest to push by far!!! Way smoother of a ride (and less of a workout to push) than anything else I have tried.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I haven't ever spent a ton of a stroller so I don't know the better brands really but we bought a Jeep brand stroller I found a Walmart for about $50 but liked it. It was a small lightweight stroller with the easy close feature and it was better suited to pushing off nice paths than the little cheap umbrella types. It had better wheels. We used it at parks, renaissance fairs and everywhere we went like that. We were very happy with it.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM

This is mine (got the blue color): http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-mini-gt/

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, for the advice! Still not decided what to do... I really want a jogging stroller, because we live on a gravel road and it would be nice for walks, but there's no way I could fit one in the car for our trip.... so we'll see!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I love my Combi. It has been really amazing for travel and every day use too! It is lightweight, folds small and has a carrying strap for easy transport over your shoulder, which we have used to go up escalators and stairs easily. I throw the baby in my maya wrap and up we go with the baby, bags and stroller. We easily reassemble at the other side. I have felt much more mobile with a Combi. It comes with us on every trip! You can watch the fold system, carrying strap and other features on their website:

http://www.combiusa.com/Cabria-p/2482.htm
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracha04 View Post
I love my Combi. It has been really amazing for travel and every day use too! It is lightweight, folds small and has a carrying strap for easy transport over your shoulder, which we have used to go up escalators and stairs easily. I throw the baby in my maya wrap and up we go with the baby, bags and stroller. We easily reassemble at the other side. I have felt much more mobile with a Combi. It comes with us on every trip! You can watch the fold system, carrying strap and other features on their website:

http://www.combiusa.com/Cabria-p/2482.htm
Ooh I like that one! How does it do on rougher terrain?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have not tested the Combi on rocky surfaces, but it does fine in tall grass! I have no personal experience with this stroller, the Mountain Buggy Nano Travel Stroller, but it looks awesome:

http://mountainbuggy.com/us/Products/buggies/nano

I wonder if it would work better on rough terrain? Good luck!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I also have to vote for the Baby Jogger City Mini GT. I've had a lot of strollers and this is my absolute favourite. It is very good on trails and folds up so easily. Not as tiny as an umbrella but much more comfortable and folds up nice and flat so you can easily fit it in the car, on a bus, etc. Being able to fold it with one hand is brilliant. Not as great going over logs or big rocks as something with larger wheels but larger wheels = larger fold (much larger in most cases). I find the BJCMGT wheels go just about anywhere.

They are about mid-range in terms of cost but have been available for 2 years now I think so used ones are probably starting to come available.

We also have the stand-up board that goes behind it and, though it's not as good for my posture as the Phil & Teds or Uppa Vista models (yes, I've had both of those too!), it is pretty decent. DS1 usually sits rather than stands on it.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
I also have to vote for the Baby Jogger City Mini GT. I've had a lot of strollers and this is my absolute favourite. It is very good on trails and folds up so easily. Not as tiny as an umbrella but much more comfortable and folds up nice and flat so you can easily fit it in the car, on a bus, etc. Being able to fold it with one hand is brilliant. Not as great going over logs or big rocks as something with larger wheels but larger wheels = larger fold (much larger in most cases). I find the BJCMGT wheels go just about anywhere.

They are about mid-range in terms of cost but have been available for 2 years now I think so used ones are probably starting to come available.

We also have the stand-up board that goes behind it and, though it's not as good for my posture as the Phil & Teds or Uppa Vista models (yes, I've had both of those too!), it is pretty decent. DS1 usually sits rather than stands on it.
I think DH bought the board, too. I'm not sure. Anyway, I had to add that over 10 years, we have had 7 strollers, and the City Mini GT is by far our favorite. Even over the Bob, whose big wheels are super-smooth, but stupid hard to fold and still giant when folded.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you found a good stroller yet?
I've just started searching for something, as my back is getting sore pushing a old jogging stroller a friend gave us. The front wheel is fixed and I was having to lift the stroller up every time I wanted to move a bit in either direction, and with my 35lb guy plus other stuff was just too much for my poor back. I've started looking in all the kid consignment stores locally and really just have not seen anything that looks good to me thats affordable. The only one that I think looks ok is the Phil & Teds Navigator because it can be either a double or single, but its pretty new so not finding it used.. I live where the roads are rough, steep and many not paved, so need one that can handle well.
I've seen some Bugaboo strollers that look good and I like the stand they have for older kids, but even the used ones are mega pricy! Talked with mamas that like the Mountain Buggy, and they always say to make sure to get the slimmer model one.
I did find a used Maclaren triumph that I will use for now, and so far its better on my back than the jogging one we have. It does fold up small, but this model is pretty padded and seems better for cooler weather.
Oh how I miss the easy days of baby wearing my guy everywhere!!!

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

Old 08-01-2014, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I found a Peg Perego Skate on Craigslist for $40! Was super excited because I wanted a stroller that had a bassinet so I had another option besides the Moby for the babe to take naps in when we are at our homeschool co-op and church. The deals are out there, just have to check a lot!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
If you are visiting a vacation destination, you might be able to rent a jogging stroller while you are there - less to pack!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

No I have not found one yet. I am seriously considering the Combi though. I want to check a thrift store in a large city but its an hours drive so I haven't made it there yet. A friend told me they usually have a whole bunch of nice strollers. If I find nothing there i'll buy something on Amazon. craigslist in our area doesn't have much because we live in one of the poorest counties of the state. (How this is, I don't know, because houses and land are not all that cheap compared to the norm for income...) so i've been checking, but haven't seen anything yet!

User Tag List