Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cactuspear

#1 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Weight gain....should I be concerned?

This is my first baby, so I think I just get overly worried about things....but I'm 17 weeks pregnant today, and have only gained about 4 pounds.
At the beginning I felt nauseous and basically no food sounded good to me, but now (probably starting around week 15-16) I can pretty much eat anything.
Should I be concerned at all with that weight gain?
Should I do anything to try to gain weight? I eat pretty healthy & wholesome all the time and just decided I would force myself to eat an egg in the morning (even though I hate eggs!)...and also have been consistently taking my prenatals and fermented fish oil capsules everyday.
#2 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I typically lose around ten pounds in the beginning of my pregnancies, due to extreme morning sickness, so you'll probably be ok. I think it really depends on your body type,I am not a skinny person by any means....
#3 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It definitely depends on your body type. I'm 16 weeks and have only gained 3 or 4 pounds. I'm average sized and don't want to gain a ton!! I usually make up for it in the 3rd trimester!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#4 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
don't worry, you'll catch up! I didn't gain any weight until 16 weeks and I've gained 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I seem to remember a similar pattern with my other pregnancies, too. My total weight gains for my kids has ranged between 35 and 45 lbs.

Just try to eat a well balanced, protein-rich diet and then don't worry about what the scale says!

RN, IBCLC. DS is 5, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
#5 of 12 Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Don't worry! I've noticed that Drs don't put an emphasis on weight so much anymore. The norm is 25-35lbs less if you begin over weight and more if you are underweight. However lots of women loose at first due to sickness. I'm 18 weeks and I've only gained 7 lbs as of last week. My dr didn't say anything at my appt.
#6 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've only gained around 4 lbs when I weighed my self last week at 19 weeks. This last week I've been way more hungry and seem to be eating a lot, so will see next week at Midwife apt. how much.

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#7 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Oh thank goodness You posted this thread! I've been worried I haven't been gaining enough! Since a few days ago I have upped the amount of eggs I eat in the morning to 2.5 (eating 5 between hubby and I), I add cheese (extra protein!) AND spinach to them (iron!) , and we started having two sausage patties each with the eggs. So I start out nice and full of protein. I also stocked up on a bunch of chicken because it's cheap protein, and I've been having about .5 lb of chicken per meal for the last couple of days.. And I feel much better now. My baby bump is even sort of there now that I'm staying full of protein.
I still haven't gained more than a few pounds, but adding more protein to my diet has made me feel a lot better. In the second trimester they're building bones and muscles, according to Nina Planck (author of Real Food for Mother and Baby), so the most important nutrients are protein and calcium.
Right now I've got some homemade chicken bone broth stewing in the crockpot to add to a sausage and pea soup I'm making tonight. Homemade bone broth has many many more nutrients in it than store bought broth, including tons of calcium (which store bought broth has none of, indicating it isn't bone broth). It's easy to make in a crockpot with leftover veggie pieces and leftover chicken bones. I don't have a compost, so I save all my broccoli stalks/carrot tops/pepper seeds and stems/asparagus butts/ onion tops/etc in a freezer bag, then I save the bones and juices from the rotisserie chickens we sometimes buy at the store when we don't want to cook. When I want stock, I throw the whole chicken and it's juices into the crockpot with as many leftover veggie parts that will fit, fill it with water, and cook on low for 18-24 hours. It makes the house smell DELICIOUS. One it's done, you just strain out the veggies and you can store it in mason jars in the fridge. I usually use all of mine at once though, because I have a smaller (4 quart?) crockpot, so it makes enough for me to add to one pot of soup/stew (I always make enough soup/stew to have a few days of leftovers).

Sorry that message was so long.. I've been obsessing over my lack of weight gain for the last 5 days so I am glad to know others are experiencing the same.

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#8 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynRose View Post
Oh thank goodness You posted this thread! I've been worried I haven't been gaining enough! Since a few days ago I have upped the amount of eggs I eat in the morning to 2.5 (eating 5 between hubby and I), I add cheese (extra protein!) AND spinach to them (iron!) , and we started having two sausage patties each with the eggs. So I start out nice and full of protein. I also stocked up on a bunch of chicken because it's cheap protein, and I've been having about .5 lb of chicken per meal for the last couple of days.. And I feel much better now. My baby bump is even sort of there now that I'm staying full of protein.
I still haven't gained more than a few pounds, but adding more protein to my diet has made me feel a lot better. In the second trimester they're building bones and muscles, according to Nina Planck (author of Real Food for Mother and Baby), so the most important nutrients are protein and calcium.
Right now I've got some homemade chicken bone broth stewing in the crockpot to add to a sausage and pea soup I'm making tonight. Homemade bone broth has many many more nutrients in it than store bought broth, including tons of calcium (which store bought broth has none of, indicating it isn't bone broth). It's easy to make in a crockpot with leftover veggie pieces and leftover chicken bones. I don't have a compost, so I save all my broccoli stalks/carrot tops/pepper seeds and stems/asparagus butts/ onion tops/etc in a freezer bag, then I save the bones and juices from the rotisserie chickens we sometimes buy at the store when we don't want to cook. When I want stock, I throw the whole chicken and it's juices into the crockpot with as many leftover veggie parts that will fit, fill it with water, and cook on low for 18-24 hours. It makes the house smell DELICIOUS. One it's done, you just strain out the veggies and you can store it in mason jars in the fridge. I usually use all of mine at once though, because I have a smaller (4 quart?) crockpot, so it makes enough for me to add to one pot of soup/stew (I always make enough soup/stew to have a few days of leftovers).

Sorry that message was so long.. I've been obsessing over my lack of weight gain for the last 5 days so I am glad to know others are experiencing the same.
I LOVE making homemade broth too! I always get the whole mini chickens and cook them in the crockpot and then use all the chicken for lunches and then use the bones for broth. Its crazy how much better it tastes than store bought broth!

I should probably up my protein intake...I wish I liked eggs.....I will have to come up with some way to eat them that doesn't make me gag.

Thanks for all the responses...its making me feel a bit better! I feel like its gotta be more important that I eat lots of healthy/wholesome foods instead of worrying too much about gaining weight.
#9 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelasm1th View Post
I LOVE making homemade broth too! I always get the whole mini chickens and cook them in the crockpot and then use all the chicken for lunches and then use the bones for broth. Its crazy how much better it tastes than store bought broth!

I should probably up my protein intake...I wish I liked eggs.....I will have to come up with some way to eat them that doesn't make me gag.

Thanks for all the responses...its making me feel a bit better! I feel like its gotta be more important that I eat lots of healthy/wholesome foods instead of worrying too much about gaining weight.
Ohhh yummm! Yes it really does taste SO MUCH BETTER it's really unbelievable..!

Don't feel bad for not liking eggs, plenty of people have that problem. Since I've been pregnant, I will say I do not ENJOY them as much as I used to. I eat them without gagging, but I'm not like "nom nom nom scrumptious" if you know what I mean.
Do you like Irish Oatmeal/Steel Cut Oats? They're very high in protein and iron as well! I just got myself a nice big baggy of those for snacks during the day, or just in case I don't feel like the usual eggs and sausage combo. I soak them overnight in milk & cinnamon and make them the next day (either in the morning or just during the day when I want a snack). JB adds a bunch of sugar to his, but I've been trying to reduce my sugar intake, so I add just a bit of maple syrup and I think they're quite delicious.

Yes DEFINITELY just focus on the healthy/wholesome foods without stressing about weight. That's what everything I've been reading the past few days has been directing me to do, and it makes perfect sense to me! So I'll be doing the same thing.

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#10 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Try not to worry about it. At my last appt (13 weeks), I had only gained 1 pound, which seemed crazy because I couldn't button most of my pants. Now my belly is bigger, so I'm sure I've gained a few more. In my last pregnancy, I gained about 35 pounds, but it mostly piled on in the last trimester. Everyone gains differently.

Look up weekly baby development info if you need some reassurance - your baby doesn't even weigh one pound yet!

Oh, and don't forget nuts if you want more options for protein and healthy fats. They're also an easy snack to keep in your bag when you're on the go.
KatelynRose likes this.
#11 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I only gained 5 lbs the first half of my pregnancy with dd and still managed to gain about 40 by the time I had her
#12 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I gained 20 lbs with dd in the first trimester, and then gained and lost the same 5 lbs throughout the last trimester. I worried a lot about lack of weight gain then, but dd just kept growing! Net gain was 20 lbs, and dd was 7 lbs.

This time, I'm up 10 lbs and almost 20 weeks along. Last checkup showed everything to be fine though. I'm told every pregnancy will be different, so have no idea what to expect.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page