baby names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

Old 07-25-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
baby names?

Has anyone decided on a baby name that you are ready to share? My dh has his heart set on a particular name - I'm not completely sold, but I haven't told him that yet. I have some others in mind and I know it shouldn't matter, but we have unintentionally given our kids names in alphabetical order, D, K, R, S - so I feel like we have to go with T or beyond, lol.

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wish I had some name ideas, but I'm so indecisive about names. I had my dog for 3 months before she got a name from me, and I think it fits her perfectly. I want to meet baby first and go from there, as nothing is coming to me or papa yet.

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Nothing. Not a clue. Not an inkling or a tickling or even a letter sound I like. And since we're not finding out the gender we have to come up with names for both! Oy.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have loads of girls names I like, but I just found out we're having a boy and I can't think of ANYTHING I like!! Crazy. I mean, there are a lots of boys names I think are fine, but I can't imagine using any of them, Oh dear! Hoping that come December, something will jump out at us and feel right
Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJB View Post
I have loads of girls names I like, but I just found out we're having a boy and I can't think of ANYTHING I like!! Crazy. I mean, there are a lots of boys names I think are fine, but I can't imagine using any of them, Oh dear! Hoping that come December, something will jump out at us and feel right
This is us. I had a girl's name picked out, but a boy name we are having a really hard time with. My dh and I have never disagreed so much on names.

Last edited by goster; 07-26-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i have this problem almost every time! my first child had her name picked out since i was 12 or something, but the other 3 didn't have names til they were days old. its horrendous. just being on a time crunch in the end, 'cause there's only so much time you have to fill out the birth certificate. (i think here in FL its 5 days or something). i could name a million girls, but boy names are so hard. i think b/c with girl names, i love them or hate them. boy names are all kinda 'ok' sounding, but never 'the one'. and we have a letter thing, too. we have to have double initials in there. whether first and last, or middle and last, whatever. you'd think it'd be easier, and narrow things down. lol. i have a boy name in mind for myself, but i'm still feeling it out. oh, and won't know til the baby is out, what it is, so that makes it crazier. sometimes its really tempting to find out the sex! good luck with everything! you got some time, at least. maybe if you each make lists of 10 names or something, then swap and cross out the ones you don't like on the other one's list? crap, i'm really not much help.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I really thought it was going to be a problem for us, but after a few days of looking through a name etymology website (I hate the baby name websites to be honest, the etymology website was much more extensive.. We wanted an older name that wasn't as popular anymore to bring back into circulation) we came up with a few options, but Titus Rex has stuck. I love it, I know that's his name I didn't think I'd ever feel certain about a name, I was sure we wouldn't name him til he popped out or even a few days later, but I was wrong!

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
We're going with Ripley for a boy or a girl. A boy will be Ripley Burnett and a girl will be Ripley Eleanor (probably). We're not sure of the middle name for the girl, but all are family names and we like them so far. Backup names (just in case the baby is TOTALLY not a Ripley) are Torin for a boy or Scout for a girl, but my husband is not sold on Scout and we don't agree on anything else. I love the nickname Rip for a baby boy. I'm not 100% sold on the name for a girl, but it's the only thing we both like and agree on and I think this one is a boy anyway. I should probably have some backup girl's names, just in case though.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I like your baby names KatelynRose and LilyTiger!

I will go ahead and share the name that we are contemplating - but no teasing! My user name is 3surfboys because when I joined I only had the 3 boys and my hubby is a surfer. Two of my kids already have nature names (River and Sky) and my dh wants to name this baby girl, Ocean. I asked him today if he was open to discussing other names and he made a face like he was going to cry (exaggerated of course). I think the name will grow on me, but I do want her to have a pretty, traditional middle name in case she doesn't like her name!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My kids all have Biblical place names. (Judah, Galilee, Shiloh). I was going to name a boy Carsten Luke (Carsten is german for Christian). When we found out it was a girl, I was stumped.

I like Ariel (which is a Bible place name) but obviously there is the link to the Little Mermaid.

My husband likes Olive (for Mount of Olives) and I also think it is cute, but have a hard time imagining my daughter with that name. People either love it or hate it.

Other Bible place names.... Petra, Magdala, Cana. (Bethany, Moriah, and Eden are all already used by people in our circle, so can't use those).

Nothing has really "clicked" yet.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Hey while I was at my OB's office yesterday and was forced to flip through a People magazine to pass the time, I learned that Drew Barrymore's new DD's name is Olive!

This has nothing to do with anything and who cares about celebrities. I think it's a super cute name though!

You know what, I just remembered that it's her toddler that's named Olive. The new DD is named Frankie.

I love your children's' names!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post
My kids all have Biblical place names. (Judah, Galilee, Shiloh). I was going to name a boy Carsten Luke (Carsten is german for Christian). When we found out it was a girl, I was stumped.

I like Ariel (which is a Bible place name) but obviously there is the link to the Little Mermaid.

My husband likes Olive (for Mount of Olives) and I also think it is cute, but have a hard time imagining my daughter with that name. People either love it or hate it.

Other Bible place names.... Petra, Magdala, Cana. (Bethany, Moriah, and Eden are all already used by people in our circle, so can't use those).

Nothing has really "clicked" yet.
Petra Petra Petra! Love it! It means "rock" like Peter and was also used for an awesome character in my favorite book ever, Ender's Game.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 PM

We have had our name for awhile but we don't tell. Sorry to be annoying.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 PM

We don't share any of our children's' names online so even when we do finally come up with names and I'm all excited, I won't be able to share. It's too bad.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
@Chapsie , I love Petra too! I think it's a great name and not too common. Olive is getting very common these days and I can't say I love it. It reminds me of Olive Oil from the comics (spelt differently I think?).

Names are all so personal though. I told my old DDC about Ripley and there was kind of a collective silence. I know a lot of people don't love the name, but we do, so that's all that matters. We don't tell close family or friends the names ahead of time because we don't want any judgment, particularly from my family. My mom in particular cannot avoid saying weird and awkward things about names. It's easier to make our decision when we're not getting feedback from people with vested interests one way or another. I do like getting feedback from online friends in case the name rhymes with a body part or something, you know? It's good to have the bases covered.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I've also been sort of afraid to share the name we've chosen within our family circle just because I don't want judgement. My MIL loves it but I won't dare tell my own mother until the baby is here hah I know she won't be able to hold back judgement noises and I don't know if they'll be positive or negative. I told my BFF and I could tell she wasn't impressed .. But JB and I love it so much it really doesn't hurt my feelings if other people don't like it, I just don't like hearing negative responses to anything I say about my baby to be hahahah but yeah... Everyone has something against every name. It was hard enough for me to find a name I have no problems with.. If I tried to please everyone the poor boy would never have a name.

I think Olive must've become more popular since Little Miss Sunshine as well.. That movie was a pretty big hit.. I'd never really heard of it as a child's name before that movie.. Like LilyTiger said it reminds me of Olive Oyl the cartoon hahaha I can't help it! With Popeye right?

I like the name Ocean! It does kind of make me think of Oceans 11/12/13 movies but it also makes me think of the sea ..

I also like Ripley. I like names that aren't super common.
Everyone here seems to be finding uncommon names though it's awesome.

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Our little girl is going to be Madison Lesh. Maddy for short. Majority of the family loves the name. Hubby's mom didn't comment around me, just the usual "oh okay." And in my family, my sister is the only one who is angry or judging. Lesh is a family name, and she's being selfish thinking she had claim over it. Hubby picked Madison, and I loved it the moment he said it. This baby was named well before she was even conceived. If she was a boy, the name would have been David Alan. David after hubby's dad and Alan after hubby!

Olive is very common around here, and Ripley is also becoming common. I love it for a boy, but girl would take some getting use to. Still love it though!

And I love your name pick, KatelynRose! It's very unique, and he will be special.

Good luck everyone else with your name choices!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3surfboys View Post
I like your baby names KatelynRose and LilyTiger!

I will go ahead and share the name that we are contemplating - but no teasing! My user name is 3surfboys because when I joined I only had the 3 boys and my hubby is a surfer. Two of my kids already have nature names (River and Sky) and my dh wants to name this baby girl, Ocean. I asked him today if he was open to discussing other names and he made a face like he was going to cry (exaggerated of course). I think the name will grow on me, but I do want her to have a pretty, traditional middle name in case she doesn't like her name!
I really like the name Ocean! My husband used to joke about giving our future daughter the name Tree. He's always referred to our child as Little Tree when talking about our future and it was cute and stuck. We have agreed that if we have a girl, Tree will be her middle and nickname, but I want to give her a more traditional name, just in case she doesn't like Tree (or becomes a lawyer or something). I totally understand where you are coming from.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have had a boy name for years but since this will be our 5th girl, we are struggling. I like a lot of girl names, just not sure I LOVE one yet. Some we are considering are River, Wyn, Etta, Charlotte (nickname Lotta), Scout and Lake.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
@KatelynRose , I love the name Titus! I love the other names you ladies have picked out too. We only just started discussing names last night, mainly because I read this thread,lol. We still haven't decided on any, although my husband is adamant that we give a boy a family name. HIS family. :P. But I am Not naming our son George. It's not happening. The other option is Ephraim, it's hubby's middle name, and his great grandfathers name. I don't mind that as much.... We like classic names, mostly. I want something that will go with our girls names. We have a Rebecca, Meredith and Kathrine. So something to go with those will be nice. We didn't name K till she was over a day old. I have a feeling this babe will be similar. Lol
Old 07-27-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay View Post
We have had a boy name for years but since this will be our 5th girl, we are struggling. I like a lot of girl names, just not sure I LOVE one yet. Some we are considering are River, Wyn, Etta, Charlotte (nickname Lotta), Scout and Lake.
wow - 5 girls! River was our girl name for babies #1 and #2 and then when we thought we were stopping at #3 we decided we would name the baby River whether it was a boy or girl, so my boy got the name. I love those names particularly Etta, Lake (and River)

Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
We have had our name for awhile but we don't tell. Sorry to be annoying.
I went on a baby naming website/forum last night and got some feedback on middle names for Ocean. Guess what one of the suggestions was? Galatea! I hope I don't offend, but I didn't realize that was a given name - I thought it was your made up user name. Is Galatea your first name? How do you pronounce it? (If you don't mind sharing)

Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3surfboys View Post
I went on a baby naming website/forum last night and got some feedback on middle names for Ocean. Guess what one of the suggestions was? Galatea! I hope I don't offend, but I didn't realize that was a given name - I thought it was your made up user name. Is Galatea your first name? How do you pronounce it? (If you don't mind sharing)
It's not my name. My name is Lillian. I chose it from the Greek myth of Pygmalion and Galatea. We have a painting of that in our home. I suppose it is also a given name, but a very obscure one. I think it is "GAL-uh-tay-uh."

Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 PM

I love the name Ephraim! And Titus. I don't dislike Ripley as a name at all, but it immediately conjures in my mind the handle bar mustached Ripley of Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Our children have very unique first names (my husband prefers names that can't be Googled), but very traditional middle names such as James and Michele. There are some names I like (like Brielle! Love that name) but my dear husband prefers unheard-of-ever-before names. So I only name search on days I'm feeling creative.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay View Post
I love Wyn! That is so pretty!

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks Chapsie! I think it's my fave so far.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We still don't know what we're having yet....but will be finding out soon! If we're having a boy we will be naming him David after my Dad. He passed away in 2009 from carcinoid cancer and it was one of the things I promised my Dad when he was in hospice.
If we have a girl we're not sure what we will name her but so far I'm loving the names Violet, Luna, and Lily. Although my husband doesn't like the name Luna so we probably won't go with that one.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Yep! We decided on Ruby Eléonore Rose around 11 weeks.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
For those of you with more than one child, do you have naming patterns for your kids?

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I like to choose the name based in part in the meaning. I also like my kids to have a symbol for their name too. So far my children are named
1. Ava
2. Cyrus
3. Sol

For this guy I like the name Forest. (Which my husband is against because of Forest Gump.)
I like Forest, with a possible nickname of Frost, a nod to his December birth. His symbol could be a frost tipped evergreen.

My other thought would be a name meaning "Sun" since I accidentally have my other boys that meaning. I just can't find a sun name that sits right with me.

I totally love the names you all have picked out. Fantastic job so far mamas. And for those of you that need to keep it private, I respect that. It also makes me crazy with curiosity!

User Tag List