Mothering Forum banner

Laboring plans?

865 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  julieandemmett 
#1 ·
Hi all, I haven't posted much, time has just been flying by. I have recently started thinking more about this birth and starting my birth plan. With my daughter, I did hypnobabies. I loved it and would recommend it. But I am tempted to try another method this time, just to try something else. Anyway, I would love input on your plans and experiences with different techniques, etc.

#4 ·
I'm planning another homebirth. I did the Hypnobabies home study during my second pregnancy, and was prepared to use the techniques if labor became painful, but it wasn't. Contractions were intense at times, but very manageable. My labor with her was only 47 minutes (3 hours with my first, and just over 90 minutes with my third).

I didn't do the study with my third or fourth, and with my youngest, I didn't labor at all. I only had a handful of contractions that immediately preceded his birth. Given the high possibility of another extremely precipitous birth, I likely won't plan a waterbirth (no time to set up), but still plan to go over the Hypnobabies scripts because I thoroughly enjoyed them. It's a wonderful philosophy, and the techniques actually work when needed.

#7 ·
I was a afraid of an extremely quick birth with #4 , after having a 2 hour labor with #2 and a 1hr 15min labor with #3 - but thank the Lord, my daughter apparently wasn't in the optimal position for a quick birth because my midwife was otherwise occupied helping another birthing mama. When midwife did arrive I was only 4cm dilated and she adjusted the baby's head - I went from mild contractions 20min apart to strong contractions 5 min apart. She was born less than 2 hours later. My midwife has said my cervix "melts like butter" :laugh:That labor took between 8-9 hours in total. So it is possible to have a longer labor after having a precipitous one! I was so concerned about having a 45 minute labor that I made a deal with my midwife that she would "induce me" with the "drink" which contains castor oil and other stuff. She agree we could do that at 40+5, but I went into labor a day after my due date. That option will still be on my mind this time around.

So many of you have used hypnobabies, I'm going to have to look into it. Other than yoga breathing/meditation techniques, moaning and positions such as all 4's, I don't have any special tools in my labor toolbag.

#5 ·
I used Hypnobabies with my other 5 births and will use the techniques again this time. I only listened to the tracks during labor during my first two births, but used the relaxation techniques during all of them. I just realized that I don't like hearing anybody talking when I'm in labor, it distracts me (my brain pays attention to the words instead of just zoning out and letting my body labor).

#6 ·
I'm trying to find someone on freecycle who will donate the materials to me so I can start studying hypnobabies at home ;)

I'm planing a home birth.. I'd like to have a water tub just in case I want it. This is my first so I'm not sure what I'll feel like doing, but I know plenty of women who loved their tub so I would like to have the option there. :thumb

#8 ·
@Vespertina- I will definitely listen to the scripts as well, regardless of what I do..they are sooooo wonderful! Also, that is wonderful that you have had such manageable births :)

@broodymama- I think the talking may have distracted me too...not sure though. I did listen to the birthing track a bunch during labor.

@3surfboys and @katelyn Rose- I think that last time, as a first time mom, hypnobabies was so great for me because it keeps you relaxed throughout pregnancy and confident that everything is going as it should. I felt super prepared and confident about everything. Also, it helps you to release any fears that you are dealing with. And Katelyn, I would def recommend the tub if you have access to one, in case you want it. I labored for a really long time in the tub. I wasn't sure what I would want, but I went in to take a shower and ended up just laying in the tub and letting it fill up. I stayed there for hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.