Moses basket question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Moses basket question

Alright, so I recently got a Moses basket for the baby and have come to the conclusion I am not a fan of it's cover sheet/bedding. I tried using google and amazon and eBay to find a new one. So far I've failed. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend entirely too much, and I'm horrible at knitting and crotcheting.
#2 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
my thoughts- I got one of those for my first baby as a teen when shopping at Pier I. I just KNEW I'd use it for my baby one day, it was so adorable!! This despite having been raised in a LLL family with a family bed! Years later, in my first pregnancy, looking through a catalog, I saw one and remembered it, first thought- I should take the clean laundry out of this Moses basket, it would look so cute to put a baby in, just like you planned- immediately what kicked in was second thought, nah, of course you are going to sleep with your baby and nurse your baby, why are you fooling around with stuff? And that was the end of that. Actually no, it was still a pretty decent clean laundry basket until a couple years later, when our puppy decided the handles and binding around the top edge looked SO yummy... Babies hands down prefer to sleep with their mommies. Now I know this, in my gut, knew it in my experience, and I knew it as a teen, but I still bought the dang basket thinking I would someday use it for a baby. Go figure, our culture is strong. Babies sleep in mangers, cradles, bassinets, baskets, even hammocks- but not in bed with mama- you will not find that message anywhere without the message "danger! peligro! So maybe think about it- read more about natural infant sleep and shared sleep and attachment and the mother infant dyad before you make the decision to spend even more money and time on just stuff. Stuff that you may ultimately end up using as a cache all for clean laundry or diapers, not as a baby holder- two friends and a sister with cribs and cosleepers sweetly decorated and filled with clean laundry, because their babies would rather sleep with them and how else do you use all that wasted space?

If you don't know where to start looking for information on infant needs and shared sleep that isn't scare tactics google>> Dr James McKenna, mother infant sleep lab, Notre Dame University. Tine Thevinen. The Continuum Concept. Mother infant dyad. Nighttime parenting (is that by Sears?) (Does Ashley Montague touch on shared sleep? Gosh I'm old and read older books. Does anyone have anything to recommend on infant sleep that isn't decades old? oh yeah we're on Mothering, isn't there a lot of info here?)

As always, this post is coming from my own experience. Take what you like, leave the rest.
~Alison Murphy
#3 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

We can't do the cosleeping thing unless I kick my husband out of the bed. The way he sleeps is not good for the baby at all. Our dogs also sleep in our bed, and they sleep on my side because of how much he flails around. We've been trying to solve this issue for many years, but with no success.

Because of that, I have the cradle which would be going right next to my side of the bed. The Moses basket for is around the house and because I'm not confident in using slings or wraps constantly. I just can't stand the bedding it came with now (even though green is part of her nursery) and am failing at finding bedding separate from an entirely new Moses basket.
#4 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you make your own or find a tailor in your area to make it for you?

We did the Arm's Reach co-sleeper because, like you, I don't trust my hubby in bed with the kiddo until they're old enough to shove him over- lol! We always had something around the house, like a moses basket, for day time napping. I had no idea that's what we would do before baby 1 got here, but that's how it ended up happening! You guys will find your groove and it may not be what you expect
#5 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkateiam View Post
Could you make your own or find a tailor in your area to make it for you?

We did the Arm's Reach co-sleeper because, like you, I don't trust my hubby in bed with the kiddo until they're old enough to shove him over- lol! We always had something around the house, like a moses basket, for day time napping. I had no idea that's what we would do before baby 1 got here, but that's how it ended up happening! You guys will find your groove and it may not be what you expect
I can barely make baby booties, let alone an entire set of bedding. Haha. And unfortunately with the cost of the tailor, I might as well by a whole new Moses basket with the "girlish" bedding I am craving for her now. Stamford is stupid expensive in general. One of my bridesmaids had to have her dress altered, and they charged her damn near close to the actual cost of the dress.

I would take secondhand bedding in a heartbeat, but I can't even locate that! This is driving me bonkers!
#6 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
That's so weird. It seems like it would be on amazon or something
#7 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM

I just googled Moses basket sheets and a ton came up!
#8 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
I just googled Moses basket sheets and a ton came up!
I'm going to try again. I was doing all of this from my phone. If I fail, I need your reference link!

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 10 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#9 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Cancel that. Badger Basket apparently has the sets for super cheap! I was on their site earlier too, and it was only showing me the whole package including the basket. Stupid interwebs.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 10 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#10 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Awesome!!
#11 of 11 Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Sounds like you solved your problem, but if I recall, I put an extra receiving blanket in the moses basket and tucked it under. It was a short period of time - but I used the basket quite a bit - like you said, a mobile place to put baby as you move around the house.

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page