2nd time around registry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2nd time around registry?

Anyone doing a registry for their second baby? I have a four year old son and I saved everything but I am currently pregnant with a little girl this time. I tried to have most of the big stuff be neutral colors the first time around but obviously there are other things that need to be purchased.

I'm also thinking about just using the blue sheets, blankets, etc and everything and not worrying that it is not cute girlie stuff. I figure she won't ever know and I don't feel like buying all new stuff. Plus my kiddos are going to share a room, so she won't be having the cute new nursery like my son did.

In some ways, I don't want to start down the path of nothing special for her which I don't think will happen. But I hate the thought of getting all new stuff.

Thoughts???
#2 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Consignment shops, goodwill, tag sales, craigslist. Also, check Facebook for tag sale groups in your area. And freecycle.org

I'm in your exact situation and I put everything on that I would need to be safe. Anything we find, we take off the registry. I have found a lot of like new items through tag sales and freecycle, which has been amazing.

Hope this helps.
#3 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
Consignment shops, goodwill, tag sales, craigslist. Also, check Facebook for tag sale groups in your area. And freecycle.org

I'm in your exact situation and I put everything on that I would need to be safe. Anything we find, we take off the registry. I have found a lot of like new items through tag sales and freecycle, which has been amazing.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I started my registry just in case people ask but I am not going to go out and buy pink stuff, I don't think.
#4 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm sure you will get plenty of "girlie" clothes, blankets, etc as gifts from friends and relatives - I sure did (after having 3 boys). I do have a slight addiction to consignment sales - it can be fun to seek out hidden treasures, unique baby clothes, "new to you" items at a big discount!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#5 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We get a ton of hand-me-downs from nieces and nephews, but I also found a bunch of local Facebook groups (Mom Swaps, garage sale pages, etc) where people are always selling large lots of baby clothes and other stuff for very inexpensive. Even cheaper than consignment.

We did mostly gender neutral stuff for our daughter, so we're set until around 9 months if this is a boy. Once we hit that age though people started flooding us with girl stuff. I'm hoping my sister-in-law hasn't jettisoned all her boy gear yet. That's the one disadvantage of not finding out the gender ahead of time -- you sometimes miss out as people clear things out of their closets.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#6 of 6 Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
agreeing with everyone on here about thrift stores, consignment, etc. also, you could maybe dye some of the blue sheets and stuff? even if not girly, you could just make them different. if they're pastel, i'm sure you could tie-dye. maybe try to dye them red, and they may turn out purple? (you'd wanna research that, i don't wanna screw up your stuff with my ideas lol). maybe sew on girly appliques to the blue blankets? i think you could totally re-vamp what you have just a little, so it was 'new' to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page