2Likes
  • 1 Post By michanders4
  • 1 Post By 3surfboys

#1 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Seasonal allergies

Anybody else have allergies and feel like they are a million times worse when pregnant? Maybe it's just because I cease taking my Claritin during this time... I swear it's worse than ever this year!
If anybody has any suggestions to help alleviate some of the symptoms, I'll gladly listen! I've tried several things over the years, but Claritin has been the only thing that really does anything... Help!

#2 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm right there with you! I don't have diagnosed allergies but my sinuses are always so bad and they are so so so bad this year!!!! I need relief too!! I'm on the northeast (well mid atlantic) and our weather has been so back and forth with humid days and not so humid days but that doesn't help!
randic116 likes this.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#3 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have to take both Claritin and Singulair. I have asthma that gets much worse with pregnancy and so allergy meds are simply not optional for me, unfortunately. But both are category B meds and are very safe. If it's a choice between taking a category B and being absolutely miserable, I'd take the meds any day.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had an OB tell me to stop taking Claritin, but this was back in 2003 (I was taking it daily to prevent migraines). She had read some research that it could cause some malformations in boys' penises (urethra openings)?? I actually stopped having migraines during pregnancy and later determined my headache triggers so I haven't had to take Claritin daily in a long time.

I hope you find some relief!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#5 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 AM

Some websites recommend using a neti pot, but I've never found that to help at all. I'm not worried about Claritin since every doctors I've spoken with says it's fine, though I would obviously rather not take anything at all. But I can't function without it and my asthma gets dangerous during pregnancy, so I'm just stuck. It's frustrating.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#6 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well I turned on the AC, my air purifier and am TRYING to stay indoors. Although with having a garage sale tomorrow, I've spent most of today outside! I prefer not to take any meds except a Tylenol if I absolutely need it, but if this doesn't quit I may resort to going back on the Claritin. But I want to ask both my chiropractor and my midwife what they think first...
Thanks ladies!

#7 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
look what I found! Good news about Claritin and this is the study that my OB at the time was referring to way back when. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=31597
randic116 likes this.

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#8 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Seems like something different works for everyone, but here are some things that help me:

Wishgarden Herbs makes tinctures that are safe for pregnancy, and I've successfully used the allergy and cold formulas. Instead of a neti pot (too messy and I don't want to bother boiling water each time), I get a saline solution spray can from the pharmacy and use it in the shower to irrigate my sinuses every single day. I also use an air purifier and try to wash my clothes more often. I know the latter sounds weird, but it helps for any items you tend to re-wear without washing each time, like jeans or hoodies. If you've spent a high pollen day outside in your favorite hoodie, you'll continue to breathe that pollen in every time you wear it unwashed. Same goes for your hair, too.

I had a good routine going with daily nettles tea and local honey, but that's over with the pregnancy. Everything's dead from the heat right now, but I'll have to see how I do without the tea when the pollen makers come back to life this fall.
#9 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuspear View Post
Seems like something different works for everyone, but here are some things that help me:
(snip)
I had a good routine going with daily nettles tea and local honey, but that's over with the pregnancy. Everything's dead from the heat right now, but I'll have to see how I do without the tea when the pollen makers come back to life this fall.
Curious why you can't do nettles in pregnancy; it's one of the main ingredients in my pregnancy tea. Also local honey- why not? Never seen those on a danger list before.

~Alison M
#10 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried nettles, goldenrod tea my brother swears by, local honey... None of the natural remedies ever seemed to make a difference for me. The one thing I have done, but haven't done it since I was a teenager, was to go vegan one fall, and my allergies all but dissapeared. But that's much easier said than done! I wonder if it's so bad because of all the junk I've been eating? Maybe the more sugar than normal? I'm sure that's not helping! I will ask my midwife about Claritin just to get her opinion, and possibly go back on it, though. I can barely function these days!

#11 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama27 View Post
Curious why you can't do nettles in pregnancy; it's one of the main ingredients in my pregnancy tea. Also local honey- why not? Never seen those on a danger list before.

~Alison M
Local honey is usually out because it needs to be raw to have any effect, and raw honey carries as risk of botulism.

#12 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama27 View Post

~Alison M
I've seen conflicting accounts on nettles - either it's great for pregnancy or it's a uterine stimulant that shouldn't be used during this time. I don't have access to an experienced herbalist, so I was avoiding it just to be safe. Now that you've mentioned it, though, I see that Susan Weed recommends it, which seems like a pretty reliable endorsement.

@randic116 : The vegan connection may be dairy. I've had several doctors recommend eschewing dairy during allergy season. It's hard to do when my daughter and partner are crazy about cheese and yogurt, but I may try again.
#13 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3surfboys View Post
I had an OB tell me to stop taking Claritin, but this was back in 2003 (I was taking it daily to prevent migraines). She had read some research that it could cause some malformations in boys' penises (urethra openings)?? I actually stopped having migraines during pregnancy and later determined my headache triggers so I haven't had to take Claritin daily in a long time.

I hope you find some relief!
You can't take Claritin D but you can take regular Claritin. Maybe that's why they told you to stop.
#14 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post
Local honey is usually out because it needs to be raw to have any effect, and raw honey carries as risk of botulism.
This is only a risk for babies under 1. It's a different kind of botulism than in spoiled food. It has to do with their belly not being fully developed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page