levorotation of heart - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
levorotation of heart

Hi everyone,

We had our anatomy scan yesterday (21 weeks) and found out we're having a little girl! We're so excited and I'm quite amazed that my (and my husband's) gut feeling was correct. The sonographer noted what she called a "slight" levorotation of the heart, and although the midwife assured me it may turn out to not be anything, they recommended we get a second opinion at UVA, where they can do an EKG and other testing if necessary. I can't help but feel kind of freaked out. My pregnancy has been totally uneventful until this point, and while I recognize that this may or may not actually turn out to be a problem, I have read that levorotation often indicates a possible congential heart defect. I have no idea how "slight" it was, though. Has anyone had experience going through something like this? I have to admit, it kind of eclipsed the joy we felt at seeing our baby for the first time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am sorry to hear that! I don't know if this any consolation, but an older friend of mine told me the other day that "there is always something." I hope that with further testing you learn that it is in fact slight, or more likely, as your midwife said, nothing at all. Sending positive vibes your way!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience- that definitely sounds stressful.
Do they mean they think her heart is turned a little bit the wrong way? More than likely it'll be determined at the next scan/EKG that it's really nothing. .

Congratulations on you new baby GIRL!!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

They didn't really explain the term to me, but from what I've read it sounds like it implies that the heart isn't quite symmetrical from some axis they use to measure it. I sure hope you're right! In the midst of this I was getting ready to hire a doula and 86 the hospital midwives in favor of a birth center, and now I'm a little hesitant until I know what may be in store....

Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your support, ladies! I'm trying to stay as calm as possible until we know for sure if something actually is wrong. It does seem like there's always, something, though! Technology is such a mixed blessing...

Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I hope further testing shows better results for your baby's heart. I would move forward with hiring a doula who may be able to provide some support for you while this current situation plays out. I have a friend who received similar news. Thankfully, all was well with the baby's heart. She went through months of ultrasound and significant stress though and ultimately went into preterm labor. Both of them are doing really well, but it was dramatic at the time.

From what I understand, ultrasound technology has become more precise and with that comes some uncertainty with what doctors are seeing, because it's new. They order more tests, say wait and see, and meanwhile parents worry sick. I believe that many of these cases turn out to be normal or normal variations. I hope this will be the case for your little one.

From seeing my friend overcome with stress, I think it's really important that you stay calm and centered as much as possible. Stay connected with your baby and talk to her about what you are feeling. Take a hypnobabies course for relaxation skills or practice yoga and deep meditation. Hire a doula skilled in high risk births who may offer information, advice, coping skills and comfort. Enjoy being pregnant and focus on what you can do and not what you can't. Nurture yourself and your baby throughout every day.

I hope you hear good news soon.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Oh Much love mama. I hope your next appointment gives you the reassurance that your daughter is perfectly scary.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
sending you hugs and healthy baby thoughts! I too have known mamas who have been told about possible heart issues in their babies and the issues resolved by the end of the pregnancy. Congrats on having a girl!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

Old 08-09-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I agree that the U/S technology is so good these days that they see things that turn out to be nothing - they've just not been able to see them before.

Best wishes for your baby and you!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List