Braxton Hicks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Braxton Hicks

OK ladies, tell me about your BH. How do they feel? What other things do you feel during one? What number pregnancy is this, and how do they compare to how they felt during the others (if any) ?

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#2 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
They feel like a strong tightening. Not painful at all, but they can be uncomfortable / crampy at times. I always feel all kinds of contractions (BH and labor ctx) all up front in my abdomen. This is pregnancy #6 , baby #4 . I start to get them really early, like 10-11 weeks. I didn't have ANY at all during my first pregnancy and only for the last couple of weeks in my second. These last two babies, though, i started really early. Staying hydrated helps keep them at bay. I tend to get them a lot when I'm running around on my feet all day at work.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 5, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
#3 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This my first
A infection (which I suspected earlier) was finally detected at about 25-26 weeks. It caused me painful contractions. I told the doctor this and she said with a smile " dear they are just braxon hicks this is your first pregnancy, you dont know the differance."

Well shortly after that I was in the mall with awful contractions. I could hardly walk through them and the world around me was a buzz and I could only focus on getting through it. That was the final straw for us- we demanded a test and it came back for bacterial infection. (Also caused me a thinning cervix, funneling, and dilation)

Fast forward to today- all is clear and Im 36 weeks! My BH are great. I have them throughout the day, sometimes I dont even notice them. Other times It feels like someone is squeezing my torso evenly and It sorta takes my breath away. Always accompanied by a rock hard belly. But they are in no way alarming

Young Momma + Wife Baby #1 On His Way God Willing (9/11/2014)
Looking Forward To & & &
#4 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have an "irritable uterus" meaning absolutely everything irritates my moody uterus and makes me contract. They don't lead to early birth though. I was put on bed rest and given terbutaline now and again through my first 3 pregnancies. Then I finally learned to put my foot down and say "that's just the way my crazy uterus is" to my caregivers.

Mine start at 11 weeks each time. I have just a few weak ones daily that slowly increase in pain and frequency until I'm around 30 weeks when they are a true nuisance.

I personally feel them in several different ways. Sometimes a tightening with no pain, sometimes just a "quadrant" of my uterus and it's quite painful, sometimes short, sometimes lasting longer than a minute. I get them when I have a full bladder, when my skirt is right against my belly, when wearing a seat belt, after intimacy (always the longest lasting ones!), and just throughout the day for no reason.

The way I know it is labor is 2 things change about them. I begin feeling them down in the cervix area, and they become too painful to talk through.

By the time I'm 30 weeks I get them more than 4 times an hour which is always the cut off. I'm always told to call if I have that many. I never do unless those 2 things change that I mentioned above.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#5 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
This is my third pregnancy (2nd baby) and I noticed them much earlier this time. With my daughter they were always just a tightening of the belly, unless I had to pee, in which case they were strong and uncomfortable. I remember getting out of bed and having such a strong B-H when my uterus hit my bladder that I had to squat there desperately holding my bladder shut because the contraction was so strong I couldn't walk. I laughed about it later, because I must have looked idiotic having to pee so badly and not being able to go anywhere. But that was late third trimester.

This pregnancy I'm already feeling them a lot and I swear I was already having them at 10 weeks. They happen when I'm doing too much or when I have to pee. Tightness and discomfort. They don't feel anything like real contractions for me at least.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#6 of 17 Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I didn't have much of any BH with my third pregnancy, had them late with my first two. This time I just started having some, but they are so light its no big deal. It feels kind of like a burning sensation almost, like when you do heavy lifting or a nice workout, but its across my lower abdomen. I wish it was working my muscles, I could totally use some toning there...
#7 of 17 Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had them in the 3rd trimester 1st pregnancy. This time I've had them much earlier. Mine right now just feel like my belly gets really tight and firm instead of soft. Can't really figure out if anything causes them, as they just happen whenever. I had a good one the other night when I was taking a shower before bed. They do seem to be getting more stronger recently. Mine are not really like labor contracts, just outer belly muscle tightness.
#8 of 17 Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mine are crazy this time. I was told by an ER doc last pregnancy that I probably have irritable uterus.
These are so strong sometimes. I can tell when one is about to happen because my heart speeds up and starts beating really hard, and my chest feels super tight, making it hard to breathe. The only thing that seems to slow them down is laying down for extended periods of time, and I don't really have that luxury. I swear even a bump in the road can cause one. It's nuts.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#9 of 17 Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I didn't have any with my son (20 years ago) so slightly hard to think back, but I am sure I would of remembered them had I of experienced them.
I had thought I was experiencing pains due to my uterus expanding, but reading this now I'm not sure if they are BH. Would they be obvious strong contractions or can they be mild ones too?

*******Feeling blessed******IVF Success****** Darling baby boy is due in Dec 2014*****
#10 of 17 Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 PM

@DBurri , they can be very mild. Some I don't even notice except that my uterus is just hard -- no "feeling" of a contraction at all, just hardness.

I've noticed a ton on the right side. Sometimes it feels like the baby is balled up over there, but I'm guessing it's just B-H on one side. It's weird that it's always in the same place though.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#11 of 17 Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get BH occasionally, but not as often as I did with my last pregnancy. I usually get them when I go from a sitting to a standing position. This is baby #6 .

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#12 of 17 Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

OK mamas, I've done some research and I'm going to pick up some Natural Calm. I've read that it's a miracle when you have bad BH. I don't know how long it will take to start working, but I'll let you know how it goes! FX!!

#13 of 17 Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is baby #5 . I didn't notice BH until 32 weeks with my first, and with my others, I know I had them, but don't really remember the frequency

I definitely notice them with this baby, and they started picking up in frequency around 20 weeks. I notice them here and there now. They just feel like tightening.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#14 of 17 Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

The natural calm seems to be helping. The day after I started taking it, the BH were not nearly as strong, and no longer painful. I forgot to take it yesterday morning, and by the afternoon they were getting bad again. I took a slightly larger dose, and they were calm again by bed time. I'll give it a few more days, but so far it seems to be working well! Not the yummiest of things, but heck, it's worth it!

#15 of 17 Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM

I might have to get the natural calm stuff. I'll ask my midwife at my appt next week.

Any other suggestions? I'm really struggling over here. I've been trying to add in 2 mile walks to get back on the exercise wagon after moving craziness. The problem is that my bladder and my bowels set off massive B-H on even the shortest walks. The only time I can walk is immediately after waking up when my bladder and bowels are totally empty. If I have any food or water I end up walking with bladder/bowel spasms and B-H the whole time, which is obviously really uncomfortable and not at all enjoyable. I'm taking a break from my prenatals with iron to see if that helps the bowel discomfort, but everyone says to drink more water to avoid B-H and for me having a full (or any amount full) bladder makes them go totally berserk. So the more I drink water, the worse they get. Has anyone ever experienced this? It's driving me totally insane and preventing me from getting decent exercise, which is super frustrating.

#16 of 17 Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Updating- the Natural Calm works pretty well for me. The BH are less frequent, and far less intense. If I forget to take it, it's quite noticeable.

LilyTiger, have you tried a support band? Maybe shifting the weight will help.

#17 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 06:46 AM

@dmariev , they've actually calmed down quite a bit since I started exercising and doing more ab work. I think I wasn't engaging my abs enough (or at all) and the extra support form those muscles has made a huge difference. I have a support belt that I'm wearing at night, but I haven't tried it for walks because I haven't been walking much and because it shifts annoyingly. Most of my B-H now seem caused by the bean being smashed all the way into my right side and so whenever he or she moves it triggers B-H all along my right side. Sigh. I just wish this kid would move head down and maybe that would help. But things are much better than when I last wrote, so that's good.

I'm glad to hear the Natural Calm helped too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page