Forum Jump: 
 297Likes

#1 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
My current status

I thought I'd move back in here.

Today I'm 23w5d and it has been 7 days of broken water. Monday I had 14 AFI, Wednesday 12 AFI, and Friday 7 AFI. I only seem to bleed if I lie down flat, so I spend all my time sitting in various positions in bed in the hospital. I am here until the baby's born.

I upped my water intake to see if I can get the AFI higher for next time. I'm also getting a cold, which sucks, because I don't want them to think I'm getting an infection. I gotta tell the doctors that.

Today we toured the NICU. It was upsetting because the smallest baby they had was 28 weeks, and I don't think we will get there. I'll be 24 weeks in 1 or 2 days. I did get one MFM doc to tell me the stat that after PROM, 90% of women deliver by 10 days. That would only be Monday, just barely over 24 weeks, which they say is 40-50% chance survival. I'd love to be here at 28 weeks, but no one thinks it will happen.

Tonight DH went home as his mom could no longer keep all our kids overnight. I saw the kids for awhile and it was nice. I really don't want any other visitors at this point. Maybe when I'm past 26 weeks and feel in less danger of the baby dying.

So I definitely need sleep. The depression overcomes me when I get tired.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#2 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have no words for what you must be going through. My thoughts are with you and your family! Wishing you the absolute best of luck!!

Gretchen , Mom to DD (7/09) DS (7/11) Expecting #3 12-14
#3 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My prayers are with you Galatea!

#4 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Oh wow. Tons of hugs! I'll be sending you & baby every good thought, good vibe, and prayer I can!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#5 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OMG! Praying for you and your baby!!!!

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#6 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
DDC here...

Things in NICUs bounce around a lot, like who's oldest-youngest-sickest and comparisons are impossible. My DD was born at 27 weeks, but in some ways did better than a woman in my community whose DD was born at 35 weeks. Getting steroids, being at a hospital with a NICU when you birth, makes a difference. Your uterus and baby are calling the shots now, and are going to guide you going forward (when to birth, what interventions are needed/worthwhile) more than any statistics. Like, what does "one in a hundred" mean if you are the one? The hundred? You are going to have 100% of your experience. What an awful ride to be on without being able to be in control...good that you've noticed about the sleep- whenever things felt like they were falling apart the most, I would sleep more (sometimes missing morning rounds or a late night feeding) and it would make a world of difference in coping with the endless psychological drain of the NICU. I imagine it's similar in the OB unit. Except there's probably more enforced awakenings (vitals, blood draws). Kick people out and have a respected nap time in the day if you need to, maybe with earplugs? It's not wrong to want to keep away visitors, even if it's family. You are entitled to do anything you need. It's survival mode- mental health wise for you.

I'll be thinking of you and your baby,
Xerxella and crunchymama27 like this.
#7 of 332 Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Much love to you.
#8 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Your strength is inspiring.
#9 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will keep you in our prayers!!
#10 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I slept 10 hours last night, kinda propped upright, and no gushes of blood - just some pinkish ness when I first peed.

Ds3 has a cold and so now I am paranoid that I will get it, too, and they will think I am infected, so I told DH not to bring the kids again today.

#11 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM

you are a strong mama - sending love and positive thoughts!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#12 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Praying for you always.
#13 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
My last birth was a totally different situation than your current one, but hearing about your childrens' visit sure brought back memories for me. The most stressful part of my being away at the hospital and NICU, for just 16 days, was how hard it was on all my children at home! I know your kids are missing mama sooo much! It's so tough to be away and I'm sorry you're needing to be in the hospital. It is most definitely where you need to be, but I understand the hardship of hearing your children cry for you! My 18 mo old had never been away from me before my hospital stay, and my 4 yr old was really quite depressed.

Wow, I wanted to share support and commiseration with you but instead I've posted a big ol' downer of a comment! How about I just stop talking and share some hugs instead? .
crunchymama27 likes this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#14 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
My last birth was a totally different situation than your current one, but hearing about your childrens' visit sure brought back memories for me. The most stressful part of my being away at the hospital and NICU, for just 16 days, was how hard it was on all my children at home! I know your kids are missing mama sooo much! It's so tough to be away and I'm sorry you're needing to be in the hospital. It is most definitely where you need to be, but I understand the hardship of hearing your children cry for you! My 18 mo old had never been away from me before my hospital stay, and my 4 yr old was really quite depressed.

Wow, I wanted to share support and commiseration with you but instead I've posted a big ol' downer of a comment! How about I just stop talking and share some hugs instead? .
No, it's ok. My baby is almost 4 and he is so cute - he tries to make conversation like a big boy, so when he visited, he looked at my tray and said, "How was your water and salad?" He made me laugh so hard. Dd drew me lots of pictures. Ds2 just wanted to tell me about his new game for Nintendo. Ds1 is 10 and he understands enough to not assume that the baby will live. I told him about 50/50 chances there (I padded the odds a bit to make him feel better.). He really loves babies and I can tell he is worried about me.

Today I saw my favorite MFM doc. He is upbeat and talks to me on an even level, not simplifying anything. He has hope. I met the famous old head of the NICU briefly, and he said, "Stay pregnant a few more weeks," before his pager went off and he had to run. The MFM doc and the annoying resident said I've already done better than expected, still being pg after a week of being ruptured, so seeing the annoying resident's attitude change slightly was refreshing.

Now I just gotta take a sit down shower. I'm gross. The waterproof bed pad makes me sweat at night. Baby is kicking so much.

So many of you pray. Pray for my baby. I don't have any religion and never did, but I think it will help if you ladies pray for her.

#15 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
You and your sweet baby girl are definitely in my prayers! Sounds like she's holding on alright so far, she is kicking at least! There's definitely plenty of reasons to be hopeful. Stay strong, Mama!

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#16 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So many of you pray. Pray for my baby. I don't have any religion and never did, but I think it will help if you ladies pray for her.[/QUOTE]

Hi Galatea,
I hardly ever chime in here bc I am seriously trying to curb my screen time, but I do check in once in awhile to see how all the ladies are doing. And I have been following your story (well, stories!) and just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about you a lot and praying for you and your little girl and your whole family. You are amazingly strong and resilient. Keep updating, and please know that many good thoughts and lots of love are being sent to you and your baby right now.
#17 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I'm always praying for you. You are strong and so is your daughter. I'm not sure how you feel about trying to bond with her right now, but some reading and talking to her never hurts. Doesn't matter what it is, just that it's your voice.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#18 of 332 Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For sure am praying and I know that He hears. I hope you are able to have some beautiful moments in the midst of this crazy stressful and scary time.
#19 of 332 Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 AM

praying here too, Galatea. I'm also a believer in positive affirmations, please give it a try if you haven't already - something along the lines of "we are strong", "we are healthy", "we are safe"....

eta: I see your ticker says 24 weeks! that is something to celebrate today

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#20 of 332 Old 08-24-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3surfboys View Post
praying here too, Galatea. I'm also a believer in positive affirmations, please give it a try if you haven't already - something along the lines of "we are strong", "we are healthy", "we are safe"....

eta: I see your ticker says 24 weeks! that is something to celebrate today
Yep, 24 weeks today! Officially viable. It means that now I get one NST per day, which is a pain in the butt because DD moves like crazy and it ends up taking way more than 20 minutes to get a strip. But after 45 minutes during which my breakfast got cold, she made a perfect little printout that my OB said looked amazing for a 24 week baby. Also, still not a single contraction. My OB said she has a good feeling I will get to 28 weeks. I really hope so. A baby born at that stage, with the steroids and such that I am getting in the hospital, has an excellent chance.

They're going to call me in some PT, which is good, because my joints are getting sore and I am losing whatever muscle tone I had. My OB had triplets and she said that she was so weak by the time they were born because of all the bed rest.

DH visited yesterday for about 5 hours without the kids and it was really nice. He is coming again today, not for that long. I gotta find something to do today - feeling bored already. Maybe I'll research post c-section panties.
zjande, Xerxella, Lydia08 and 3 others like this.

#21 of 332 Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thinking of you today!

Your update sounds good! It seems like your OB is really nice and positive too. I hope the PT helps you feel stronger and less sore. Bed rest is not easy!
#22 of 332 Old 08-24-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So glad!
#23 of 332 Old 08-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Happy "Viability Day!" I am so happy for you! I agree that it is a great sign that you haven't had any contractions. Things are looking so much more hopeful. Have you come up with a name for this amazing little baby? What have you been doing to pass the time? Thinking of you often!!!
badwolf092087 likes this.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 5, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
#24 of 332 Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post
Happy "Viability Day!" I am so happy for you! I agree that it is a great sign that you haven't had any contractions. Things are looking so much more hopeful. Have you come up with a name for this amazing little baby? What have you been doing to pass the time? Thinking of you often!!!
Yes, we have had her name for a while, but we never tell until birth.

I have been watching shows on my iPad. I finished a book yesterday so I need to give it a few days before I start another. I haven't had Facebook in over a year but I may start it again just to get visitors. I have an old gameboy and can play Tetris on it.

DH took me for a walk in the wheelchair outside and and I cried. It was so nice to be outside, and I just got overwhelmed.
Chapsie likes this.

#25 of 332 Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This sucks, I am sorry you have had such a tough pregnancy. This little baby will be so grounded when she comes out!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#26 of 332 Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Oh Lillian!!! I have been away for almost a month and just finally checked in and saw your news here and on the main I'm Pregnant board. I'm stunned and my heart goes out to you and your family. I don't have any personal religion in me either but I am sending all my strength to whatever little piece of the collective conscience that I have any influence over. I am so impressed by the calm and determination with which you and your daughter are handling this very difficult situation. She sounds like one amazing little girl!

I can't imagine the stress yet at the same time boredom you must be feeling from day to day. When you are ready for a new book, I recommend "The Signature of All Things" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I picked it up in an airport recently and am just finishing it. It's deeply researched (I always love that), riveting and very distracting!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, you have the support of hundreds of friends here rooting for you and your daughter!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#27 of 332 Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Hi! DDC crashing. I'm in the January club, but unfortunately, I may be approaching your scenario. I'm only 19 weeks tomorrow with a very short cervix and a poor prognosis. (Cerclage in place, progesterone started and on bedrest). Did you have any warning signs?

It's always complicated. I just wanted to send you hugs and good wishes.

And, hey, @3surfboys ! Congrats on your 5th surfer kid. . I had no idea.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#28 of 332 Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
Hi! DDC crashing. I'm in the January club, but unfortunately, I may be approaching your scenario. I'm only 19 weeks tomorrow with a very short cervix and a poor prognosis. (Cerclage in place, progesterone started and on bedrest). Did you have any warning signs?

It's always complicated. I just wanted to send you hugs and good wishes.

And, hey, @3surfboys ! Congrats on your 5th surfer kid. . I had no idea.
Well, the fact that you got the cerclage without rupturing membranes is a really good sign. Do you have fluid? I have had no labor whatsoever, so I guess it is kind of different. No warning signs. Just started leaking fluid 10 days ago. Likely caused by amniocentesis but no way to be sure.

Good luck!

#29 of 332 Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
My current status

No leaking. No labor.

But, one of the twins has severe hydrops. The other looks healthy. It's medically and ethically complicated.

But, this isn't about me. I'll start my own thread when I'm ready. I just wanted to jump in and cheer you on.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#30 of 332 Old 08-25-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
No leaking. No labor.

But, one of the twins has severe hydrops. The other looks healthy. It's medically and ethically complicated.

But, this isn't about me. I'll start my own thread when I'm ready. I just wanted to jump in and cheer you on.
That sounds very scary. I am here if you want to talk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page