Indigestion! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Indigestion!

I've just started having indigestion the past 2 days. Gets worse in the evenings and when I lay down at night. Anyone have any good tips, (I don't get this normally)? I remember having this happen a few times last pregnancy, but not this bad! I was up for hours last night, between that and not being able to get comfortable...

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
papaya enzymes are decent. for me, they didn't do so well if it was major, though. peppermint anything can help. in tea form, it may also help digestion, so you could maybe try that? i usually break down and have a tums. lol. but don't take that advice, i don't think its supposed to be ok in pregnancy. so for my final thing, and its totally gross to some people.... half and half. if you're not lactose intolerant, or have moral objections, of course. now, i'll say, i do not handle dairy well, but a shot of half and half has totally stopped heartburn and indigestion for me. it makes zero sense, but i don't even question it if it works. lol.
#3 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@momOplenty - Thanks for the tips! Sleeping is getting harder and harder for me to get comfy and with the heartburn/indigestion its been worse. I'm trying to also eat dinner early. Will look for some papaya enzymes too!

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have terrible indigestion and heartburn too. From the moment I get a positive pregnancy test, all three times. It then gets worse as the baby grows and puts physical, in addition to the hormonal, pressure on my digestive system.

Here is what works for me:
- papaya enzymes
- broad spectrum natural enzymes (Papaya sometimes isn't enough), ask at a natural food store and they should have a few to choose from
- keeping milk beside my bed and sipping it when heartburn wakes me up
- sleeping a bit propped up on pillows, or propping my mattress up at the head end
- sucking on peppermints
- sipping kombucha
- when all else fails, ZANTAC. I try my hardest to stick to natural solutions but it often gets so bad that I need to resort to zantac (or generic brand version). I believe (hope!) that it is safe in pregnancy and it works very well for me. It also helps with pregnancy nausea.

Good luck! It can be so uncomfortable but disappears the minute you give birth.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had lots of GI problems over the years, and both the GI doc and my CNM said Zantac is safe during pregnancy. I also do papaya enzymes and the occasional Tums when heartburn gets bad. Try to time your sleeping so that you're not laying down right after eating. (I know that's hard during the periods when you're super hungry and super tired at the same time, though!)

Something else you might try is keeping a food diary. I've found there are some foods that I simply can't eat due to horrible heartburn once I get to a certain point in the pregnancy. For me, it's things like citrus juice and anything made with canned tomatoes (pasta sauce, saucy pizza, etc). It will subside when the baby is born!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page