Mothering Forum banner

*~*~Spotlight on Goster~*~*

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  goster 
#1 ·
Hi @goster!

What is your favorite month of the year? What is your favorite movie? What is your favorite thing about mothering? What is your plan for this upcoming birth?

#2 ·
What is your favorite month of the year? What is your favorite movie? What is your favorite thing about mothering? What is your plan for this upcoming birth?
My favorite month of the year. . ..that is a good question. There are bits and pieces of each season or month that I could pick out, but since that is not the question I will go with October. Here in Wisconsin October can mean a lot of things. Generally in the begining of the month we still have an abundance of fresh produce which makes for amazing food, there is a chill in the air but just enough to need a sweatshirt, and the sun shines a ton. By the end of the month cold starts to really set in and you never know if you might start to see snow. Add in all of the excitement with Halloween and the anniversary of me and DH's first date and the month is just wonderful.

My favorite movie is probably spaceballs. I find it so silly still. I watched a lot of Mel Brooks movies growing up so there is a bit of nostalgia in it as well.

Favorite thing about being a mom or mothering.com? I guess my favorite thing about mothering is having a community to bounce my random thoughts off of. During my first pregnancy this was especially helpful because I had so many issues towards the end and was terrified. My favorite thing about being a mother is getting to experience all the newness in life and exploration. My DD freaked out the other night because the rice at dinner was so good (she's five). It was steamed basmati with no seasoning other than salt. We take for granted all of the small experiences that can be transformative and see the glee and excitement when a child has one of those experiences is amazing. I also love cuddles.

My plan for my upcoming birth is pretty simple. I plan on having a hospital birth with a midwife. I will labor at home with my family as long as I can, my mother will take the kids, and my husband will bring me to the hospital whenever it is time. My DH will be my only support person outside of hospital staff and that is just the way I want it. At the hospital I birth at they only generally have one RN and one midwife attending the birth. My DH is amazing and does what the midwives tell him to do, he also keeps me laughing which takes my mind off of things. The midwives are very relaxed and open to trying new things/positions/etc. I plan on going drug free as I have with my first two (first one at a different hospital was pitocin induced with manual breaking of the waters and lasted almost 18 hours with quite bad tearing) so I know I can handle whatever is thrown at me this time. The midwives I work with are so relaxed I am allowed to move about as I please, take baths, birth in the water, have the baby standing up, or whatever I may need. My midwife said to me you decide where to birth and I will figure out how to catch. I couldn't have asked for a more natural or supportive environment. I had a lot of fear going into my second birth, but having such a good experience last time I am welcoming it with open arms.

#3 ·
your midwives sound amazing! I so wish I worked at a hospital that was supportive of natural birth like that! I love your answer about what you love about mothering (being a mom!). So true and so sweet!

How did you meet your husband? What was your wedding like? Do you prefer being cold or hot? What is your favorite breakfast food? :)

#4 ·
What is your favorite genre of books?
What are some of your kids' favorite toys and activities?
Do you guys have any pets?

#5 ·
I met my dB 11 years ago at our local children's theater. We did a traveling production of Stuart little together. I was 17 and he was 22. We were married 4 years later. It was in a church by dhs dad who is a pastor. Much different ceremony than we would do today. Since we were young and had no money the wedding was done largely by me. I made the food, the cake, my veil, the flowers, the favors, the invites, everything. My dad helped by buying the beer lol. Although it was did it was quite a fun party. Unfortunately the stress I put on myself caused me to be sick the first three days of my honeymoon. But we just celebrated 7 years and I wouldn't change a thing.

As far as hot or cold, I generally prefer cold when pregnant and hot when not. Although I don't know ifi can handle another Wisconsin winter like last. At least I will have a baby to cuddle.

#7 ·
What is your favorite genre of books?
What are some of your kids' favorite toys and activities?
Do you guys have any pets?
Genre of books is hard for me. I don't stick to one, but it would probably fall somewhere between coming of age and literary comedy. I love Kurt vonegut books.

My ds loves his action figures, and playing super hero.he is really physical and likes to play fight. My dd loves to play school. She is always the teacher. As a family we love to go swimming. After 28 years I am finally become calmer in the water.

For pets we have an eleven year old hound mix, a goldfish, and a 3+ foot green iguana. Someday I want bunnies but ds and dh are allergic.

#8 ·
That's cute. I loved playing teacher too. Now I'm a homeschool teacher. :grin: I also had an enormous iguana years ago. She suddenly dropped dead one day. I worked at a vet hospital at the time so I took her body to work with me and did a necropsy. :p It turned out she had apparently commit suicide by eating her bedding- she was full of it through her entire digestive system. Isn't that weird! It's not like she was short on food.

Iguanas are pretty cool though. :)

We also have rabbits. But we eat them. Lol!

#9 ·
@zjande, if we ever do have rabbits they will likely be raised to eat. Someday we want to have a farm and move out of the city. . .we are so close just not quite there yet.

As for the iguana, this is our second. The first died about 6 months after his limbs started to atrophy. It is very weird that yours started to eat the bedding, I had read that due to how they are bred there is a lot of health/brain issues that happen. Sometimes I wish I could know what my pets are thinking LOL. I wish our iguana was a little more friendly but it is very fun to watch climb and jump, she lives in a giant 6x4x5 cage and has lots of climbing room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.