Mothering Forum banner

*~*~Spotlight on LilyTiger~*~*

757 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LilyTiger 
#1 ·
Hey @LilyTiger!

How long have you been with your significant other and how did you meet? What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? Would you rather read a book or watch a movie? Tea or coffee? What are your favorite burger condiments? :)

#2 ·
Hey @LilyTiger !

How long have you been with your significant other and how did you meet? What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? Would you rather read a book or watch a movie? Tea or coffee? What are your favorite burger condiments? :)
I can't believe it's already here! I feel a little guilty that I missed the other spotlights due to moving madness, but here goes...

My husband and I have been together five years now, married for four. We met on Match and I didn't have a picture up because I teach at a university. He said I was the only person he ever responded to without a pic. Ha. Our first date was at this great local brew pub and we got engaged there six months later and then married next door six months after that (we stopped in for a beer after the wedding). We bonded over a love of good beer.

I love reading, though I will admit to not doing as much of it for pleasure as I should. I read for my job, which means I often just reread the same pleasure books over and over again. Mostly Jane Austen, Evelyn Waugh, and a few others. Harry Potter is great for times of stress. Generally I would rather read a book than watch a movie. I get antsy watching movies or TV. I need to do something else at the same time, like fold laundry. I do like movies in theaters though, but we don't do that too much.

Definitely tea. I start my day with a strong cup of Irish breakfast tea, though I love lattes as a treat.

Burger condiments... cheese, mostly. I usually go with all the toppings. Oddly enough, cheeseburgers have been one of my consistent cravings this pregnancy. Just a big cheeseburger. That sounds amazing right now...

Bring on the questions! :)

#5 ·
I'm not sure my daughter understands what's going on, really. She just turned two. She points to her belly when I ask her where the baby is and is very interested in pointing out the toys and bouncers as "baby toys." She loves other babies and is very gentle with them, but hasn't seen me hold any, so I'm not sure how the jealousy factor will be. She was definitely annoyed when my husband was holding our 5 year old niece. :/

We're really lucky we have both sets of her grandparents in town and she does sleepovers with them all the time. We'll try to explain to her ahead of time what is happening, but the actual birth will be a regular sleepover with my in-laws, probably. We might get her a little wooden cradle for her baby doll as a new baby gift, but that's probably all we'll do until Christmas.

#6 ·
I desperately want this post-partum period to be different from my last. A test for C reactive protein came back high before we left the hospital and my daughter ended up in the special care nursery for 7 days on IV antibiotics. Instead of cuddling with my newborn I ended up pumping around the clock, arguing with really awful nurses (only two, the rest were wonderful, but those two really stood out at a vulnerable time), and fearing for the worst. I was so bitter and angry that my beautiful natural birth had ended with my daughter pumped full of chemicals and I just felt really really robbed. I still cry about it. It was the hardest thing I had ever gone through until my miscarriage last year.

So in answer to your question, I'm taking the Ina May approach. We are hopefully going to curl up with this new babe and my daughter and husband in bed for the first week. Tons of skin to skin and just laying around staring at each other. I want the experience I feel like I should have had with my daughter. And I want her to be part of it too. My husband is a SAHD, so he'll be able to do cooking, cleaning, and toddler care while I bask in this new little person. That's really all I want this time around. I do love getting take-out and watching movies while nursing and we have a wood stove, so hopefully we'll just all be curled up until the family invades at Christmas.

I did LOVE walks with my daughter in the sling once she was home, but December will make that difficult, so I'll start a mellow post-partum exercise routine around two weeks with gentle yoga and then ramping things up as I feel comfortable.

Reactions: crunchymama27
#8 ·
What did you guys do for your honeymoon?

Do you have pets?

Do you live in city or country or in between?

#9 ·
We went to Cartagena, Colombia for our honeymoon and it was fantastic. We spent a few days at a resort kind of place on the coast and then almost a week in the old city of Cartagena. It was totally amazing. I lived in Ecuador for 7 months after college, so my Spanish was decent at the time and it was neat to introduce my husband to Latin American culture. He was super cute, running around and eating street mango and doing everything you're NOT supposed to do. We loved it and would love to go back.

We have three dogs. I had a Chinese crested mix (Hector) when we got married and my husband had a greyhound (Trey) -- both rescues. We rescued a lab/shepherd/something mix from a reservation in the Dakotas to make three. I really dislike the greyhound, which makes me feel like a terrible person most of the time. He's anxious and smelly and old and passive aggressive and just generally un-dog-like. I know it's not his fault, but he drives me crazy. The other two are great, but I have a lot of guilt that none of them get the attention they need since our daughter was born. It's hard to balance pets and kids in my experience.

We just bought a house in a sort of rural area on the edge of a town. We have almost an acre and a gorgeous view over cornfields. It's a great spot. We really wanted land, though we also loved city living. We sold our little house right smack in the middle of the city partly because we were worried about schools and partly because the dogs were going crazy in such a small yard. We're all much happier out here. It's close to everything but feels very far away. And we can still walk into town, which makes it the perfect compromise. It's also a really really friendly biking community, so I'm excited to start doing more of that next spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.