Weekly Chat 9/2-9/8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#1 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Weekly Chat 9/2-9/8

Happy Labor Day to all of my fellow pregnant mamas!

So for the month of August, my hospital had a total of 353 live births (our previous record setting months were 311 and 323, so this was quite busy!). Apparently September is also going to be busy. I am on vacation from work with my family (just laying low but enjoying time together!) so I am greatly looking forward to relaxing and recharging over the next few days!

It is cloudy and rainy here.

Just bought a new baby carrier (a beco soleil). I had sold all my buckle carriers a while back because I prefer wraps, but I have a feeling I will want the quickness of buckles occasionally when I have four kids to tote around everywhere. Waiting for the mail lady to come this morning so I can check it out.

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Oooh, exciting! We'll use our sling for tiny babe and Ergo for later, but I do think I would be better served with a Beco or another SSC because I think the Ergo is too long for my short torso because I start to get shoulder issues when I wear it for too long. I still like it though and we don't have room in the budget for another SSC. I also totally want to get into wraps but can't go down that rabbit hole either.

I'm slowly but surely crossing things off my to-do list. I have two invited public lectures and an article to finish, so I'm trying to stay ahead of classwork to get those planned out before student assignments start piling up. It's going to be a busy fall. I'm also starting to get pretty worried about teaching through 40 weeks. It's not just the teaching, but the slogging around a snow-covered campus, etc. I also need to find a decent maternity coat for work. I'm checking the local mom swaps now.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man, I can't imagine slogging through snow from parking lot to class when 9 months pregnant! Especially in the snow belt that we live in! I remember how horrible it was when I was in college (and non pregnant). I bought a maternity coat on a mom swap for my last pregnancy (baby was due in March) and it was so nice-- I was able to zip it up over a baby carrier afterward, too, so we could stay warm together on walks when it was cold out.

Baby wraps ARE totally a rabbit hole. I didn't really get into wrapping until my third baby, but then it became a hobby to try them all out and I was churning carriers all the time. I never had more than 3 wraps at a time, but I was constantly buying/selling/trading. I will say that I am getting really excited about wearing a new little squishy baby again and keeping her close all winter long. That snuggly newborn stage is my favorite.

#4 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a moby wrap/sling thing. I have a snap one already, but I don't like it. It's always nice to have options in the house.

OB appt went well today. Every time the Braxton hicks kick in, I'm suppose to lay down and put my feet up. Unless there's blood, no worrying allowed. Maddy looks great, steady heart rate, weighs about 2 1/2lbs, and is officially sitting right by my hernia. Go figure, haha. I have another appt on the 18th before we start my weekly visits. My OB thinks she will make her world entrance early, which I don't mind as long as she continues to be healthy and strong.
#5 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I only have an Ergo, and since we rarely go anywhere in the winter, and baby will be born when it's probably a blizzard and negative 20 windchills, I shouldn't need anything more anyway...

This baby is a stretcher... It likes to hang out across the front of my belly pushing on my sides. It will be great fun once it's reaches my ribs. :P I'm kinda hoping that means it will want our early. And then won't like being held a ton, like my youngest now, she is a cuddler. Which is fine. But I'm not sure how to handle two cuddlers, when I'm not a touchy feely type, I need my space... I have sensory processing problems and sometimes people touching me gets to be too much.

Anyway... Got peaches, peach butter, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and bread and butter pickles canned this week! Still have tomatoes to do! I'm hoping to find some small potatoes to can too, and I need to do beef stew and applesauce yet!

#6 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
@randic116 I heard Wisconsin's winter is supposed to be worse than last, if it is even possible. With that being said I am not planning on leaving the house much. Maybe I will get my 3 quilts done. If it is worse than last winter I might have to look into having my groceries delivered LOL.

Gretchen , Mom to DD (7/09) DS (7/11) Expecting #3 12-14
#7 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goster View Post
@randic116 I heard Wisconsin's winter is supposed to be worse than last, if it is even possible. With that being said I am not planning on leaving the house much. Maybe I will get my 3 quilts done. If it is worse than last winter I might have to look into having my groceries delivered LOL.
Oh goodness, I didn't even think it was possible to have a winter worse than last! We had snow drifts so high we had nowhere left to pile it! I may consider getting my groceries delivered too! LOL
#8 of 33 Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Last year my state got record snowfall. I hope it's not like that again. I also live in the Midwest where we get lots if snow. Oh well that just means more cuddling at home!
#9 of 33 Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
It can't be as bad as last year. We pretty much had constant snow on the ground (not normal for us, usually it melts and see saws between snow and mud), but it was the constant 5 degree days that was so awful. I was taking classes in the morning and it was so miserable to have to leave the house in 5 degree weather. DH had to walk across a bridge to go from parking garage to work and he was even colder.

I have a ring sling and a SSC, I forget the brand now. It is fairly new, with a short name, like four letters, and he got it free from a sales rep... Darn why can't I remember the name? Onya! Yay brain! Anyway, we had a stretchy wrap last time, and I never really got into it - too much work compared to the ring sling.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#10 of 33 Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 AM

We have the Balboa baby ring sling and it is awesome. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#11 of 33 Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Yes! I love my ring sling, too. I'm a baby wearer through and through (I don't have a crazy huge stash like some mamas do, but I wear my littles all the time. The stroller doesn't see much action until after about 18 months). I have been trying out the beco soleil that I just got in the mail and am totally loving it. (compared to the other SSCs I've had). I have some woven wraps, but am debating buying a used stretchy wrap for the first few weeks to do lots of skin to skin. (I had one for the other kids but sold it a while back).

I have also heard that this is supposed to be a nasty nasty winter. We had a horrible blizzard last year and the midwives made it to their birth that night through the storm, so I am hoping my midwives will be able to get to me. Thankfully, I am not afraid of delivering on my own if I have to (I'd prefer not to, though, that's for sure!). Last winter was bad in terms of snow fall, but it was TERRIBLE in terms of cold. We had awful wind chills. We just recently removed our coal/wood stove to turn our den into a master bedroom and I am going to miss it this year!

LilyTiger, we are in rochester for the next few days.

#12 of 33 Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM

25 weeks today. I had a dr appt today and I'm still measuring ahead. Only 1 week now.
I have a couple different carriers and a friend is going to lend me a ring sling. I love baby wearing. My 1st did not like to be in the carrier I had at the time so u just gave up. I baby wore with #2 all the time though!
#13 of 33 Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
24 weeks which makes me 6 months. Geez Louise. Lots and lots of movement, mostly a night or after I've eaten something. This baby is definitely nocturnal. I feel great for the most part. Not too many afternoon naps needed but I do look tired all the time (according to everyone who encounters me. Whatever). I've been a bit moody too but that's mostly due to the inappropriate/annoying comments I get from others. Other than that, all is well.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#14 of 33 Old 09-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We've had butchers here all morning for our steer and hogs so our school day is shot. Might as well do some chatting on MDC!

My habit is to wear my newborns in a Moby wrap the first several weeks. Then I use my ring sling all the way up to the next baby's birth. I had a Maya ring sling that lasted through 4 children before falling apart. When I went to replace it I found the color selection lacking! So I ended up getting a Sweetpea ring sling recently. I love it! Wow does she (sweetpearingsling.com) offer an enormous selection of custom color options! And it wears very similarly to a Maya. So I'm hooked now. Love it.

Randic, peach butter, YUM! I've been doing applesauce and halved pears all week. Our garden potatoes are next. And in a few weeks, lots of hog and steer meat!

I too am concerned about the weather during my birth time.... I'm due the 26th but my c/s will likely be scheduled for the 22nd. That is cutting it soo close! I usually give birth 3-7 days before my due date. What will I do if I go into labor before the 22nd?? Plan for a UC? Try to drive to the hospital? What if our driveway's not plowed at that moment? Do we keep the van parked at the end of the driveway and I'll walk allllll the way down the driveway in snow in heavy labor? My labors always come on fast and furious and some are precipitous. I just don't know! These thoughts keep me awake at night. I just have this vision in my head that I'm going to give birth in our van on the side of the road in a snowdrift. All at the same time- I very much would love to avoid the c/s! My dr said if I show up at the hospital pushing, she'll stand back and allow a vbac.

So, gah. Who knows.

It is bizarrely freezing and rainy today! But is supposed to be in the 80s again by Friday. Goofy weather.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#15 of 33 Old 09-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Just popping in. This week has been exhausting to say the least at work. Lots of drama and staff issues due to our contract renewal. But my college classes I'm teaching are going well so that's a little sliver of sunshine there. I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a bad Charlie horse in my calf and my leg still hurts. I've also had some indigestion and constipation but I guess that's all normal. My next appointment isn't until the end of the month so I'm just hanging tight until then.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

#16 of 33 Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I had another restless night. Braxton hicks are beating me up along with this new sciatic nerve issue. From how I understood, with my placenta moving to where it needed to be and Maddy moving front and center, when she stretches, she pushes right onto that nerve. No matter what the reason, it feels like fire.

My OB tried fighting with my insurance for us. Since we moved 35 min from the hospital, he was trying to get us able to deliver at a closer hospital. Insurance wouldn't budge and flat out said no. Schedule a delivery and keep me in the hospital in my old city if it's such an issue. If I don't deliver in my original hospital, I have to pay for everything out of pocket. How nice of them.

Besides the negative things, we are doing well. All the animals are happy, hubby's job that he's an external contractor for gave him a raise and now pay OT, and officially reimburse travel and gas. And I get to sit around and be "lazy" as long as these Braxton hicks keep at it.
#17 of 33 Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
I had another restless night. Braxton hicks are beating me up along with this new sciatic nerve issue. From how I understood, with my placenta moving to where it needed to be and Maddy moving front and center, when she stretches, she pushes right onto that nerve. No matter what the reason, it feels like fire.

My OB tried fighting with my insurance for us. Since we moved 35 min from the hospital, he was trying to get us able to deliver at a closer hospital. Insurance wouldn't budge and flat out said no. Schedule a delivery and keep me in the hospital in my old city if it's such an issue. If I don't deliver in my original hospital, I have to pay for everything out of pocket. How nice of them.

Besides the negative things, we are doing well. All the animals are happy, hubby's job that he's an external contractor for gave him a raise and now pay OT, and officially reimburse travel and gas. And I get to sit around and be "lazy" as long as these Braxton hicks keep at it.
Sorry for the restless nights! So weird about your insurance. I can deliver at any hospital I want. I know all insurance is difficult and complicated though. I'm sure it's different state to state too. My hubby has been getting up at 3 am for work so I wake up with him and then can't fall back asleep until 5 or 6. So I'm with you in the no sleep. It was ok in the summer bc DS was sleeping in until 9 but now school has started and I have to get back up at 7 to get us all ready. Thank god though today was his last day getting up at 3. So that will hopefully put an end to my restless nights. Yeah right huh? Then I'll be getting bigger and bigger than baby will come lol. It never ends.
#18 of 33 Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
26 weeks this week! Woke up with reflux and then diarrhea last night, ugh. I'm hoping it is more emotion based than systemic. I was able to get back to sleep. Found out yesterday that we have till September 30th to be out of this house, landlady agreed to not file eviction papers if we can be out by then. We have power (that was last weeks struggle, but it's now in my name with the huge bill attached) but we won't have a deposit, and our income is laughable for renting anywhere, much less here, so I think we're going to end up camping for a month or two. Not really my dream, it's cold and foggy at night (maybe we can find warmer campgrounds a bit inland) but the section 8 apartments LDS church referred us to are really awful, no way are my kids living there. If we qualify to get one, we might do that instead of renting storage for belongings, so we can go "home" and bathe, do laundry and batch cooking a couple days a week, but we're not living somewhere the tenants online have all rated 1 star and where they videotape your every move. Hoping too that some friends will offer room to plug in a fridge and do batch cooking and laundry, if the apartment doesn't gel. We don't know anyone here with a big enough house/land to offer us space- I also haven't asked yet, just been working on keeping the power on last week and milking.

Milking may be coming to an end since I did not get a good yield yesterday or the day before, if so I will be sad to lose the milk and for the damage to my relationship with farmer friend, but happy to have more time to pack. Next week we have dd1 coming back from SoCal- I won't have to pick her up from Monedocino after all, a friend is going down with her dd and will get her for us- this is good because she is 14 and can be a big help with moving, besides the fact we've all missed her terribly. Then the following week I have a legal clinic to work on getting birth certificates for the 3 youngest, and I finally have my appointment to meet that midwife. Week after that one of us will need to spend 3+ days in Sacramento to get ds2 to spina bifida clinic and neurosurgery appointments. This month is so full of emergency, it doesn't look as if I'll be able to do much activism on behalf of the VBAC program here, which is disappointing, but I'll be happy to just be out and packed in a timely manner.

I'm crazily looking forward to some aspects of camping- like not having to worry much about being grounded, and no fights over screen time, and no sweeping up piles of pet hair- but I'm sad to rehome the chickens, the rooster has been a good sport and will likely get eaten- and I'm not positive if we'll find people we know to foster the cats, or how camping with dogs will go, or how on earth my dh will physically manage it. Getting up and down from the ground is quite difficult for him, and he's too big for an air mattress. He has only looked for work locally for the last two months, (more about my stubborness on location later) and not found anything he was qualified for and could apply for- his disability and lack of a degree and recent work experience rule out a ton of jobs, and 215 status rules out many more, discrimination against his chosen medical path for treating the pain and muscle spasms associated with his MD. He's had constant back pain for the last 11 days- it would be so amazing if he woke up with it barely aching this morning. He's applied for disability once and been turned down immediately because he was still working full-time on his own business, but he'll be renewing that application once he finally gets in to see a doctor. The agencies I've contacted here don't have lots of transitional help, lots of full apartments, full programs and long waiting lists, but they can offer immediate help to families that are homeless, so going through a period of camping may be a necessary step for us to be able to get help to get a permanent home again. Our families have already helped a lot in the last 3 years, and with the power, and I know they'll continue to help as they are able, but they are far away. I'm not ready to pack it back to Tennessee Jed just yet, the kids have moved across the continent or the state 4x in 5 years, and I'm feeling very stubborn about staying in this area with some established friends when I have this baby.

I won't be on many threads but I'll be checking in once a week at least- knowing we are not the only ones riding a rollercoaster at this time, thinking of Galatea and takeiteasy303

~Alison
#19 of 33 Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 AM

@crunchymama27 , that's a ton on your plate right now. I wish I had some advice or help to offer, but I really just have support and positive thoughts. I hope employment works out and you're in a home sooner than you think. I can only imagine how stressful that would be while pregnant. As a minor aside, we've done extended camping with three dogs and it was fine, though I'm sure it depends entirely on the personality of the dogs. Good luck!

#20 of 33 Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Oh Alison, that is so much to be thinking about/organizing/worrying over! I'm really sorry to hear how challenging everything is for you guys right now. I'm sure you're good at sending calm and peaceful thoughts toward your wee belly baby. I do hope things start falling into place for your family.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#21 of 33 Old 09-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I am at least still milking! Cow had mastitis, that is why she was dancing around all over the place, and the machine quit twice because it needed to be oiled, something I had not yet been taught to do. Glad we still have our milk source! 20 quarts a week is not cheap, even if we were buying pasteurized crap.
#22 of 33 Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Well that's good news! Having your own raw milk source is a wonderful blessing! There's nothing better to raise your kids on, imho. .

#23 of 33 Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Ok so tell me what your feelings are on this. I have a friend due September 16th and already for a week all they talk about is how they want her to go into labor. I know two weeks early isn't a huge deal but she already has small babies, 5lbs at full term are what both her other children have been and this one is measuring small too. Don't you think you would want to keep it in there to the last Minute if this was the case? I mentioned that to them without trying to sound like I was butting in and usually I don't make comments to people but I Couldn't help it. Their response was no we are ready now.
#24 of 33 Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
Ok so tell me what your feelings are on this. I have a friend due September 16th and already for a week all they talk about is how they want her to go into labor. I know two weeks early isn't a huge deal but she already has small babies, 5lbs at full term are what both her other children have been and this one is measuring small too. Don't you think you would want to keep it in there to the last Minute if this was the case? I mentioned that to them without trying to sound like I was butting in and usually I don't make comments to people but I Couldn't help it. Their response was no we are ready now.
I agree we you, but people in their last month aren't rational. Hell, I want my baby out so I can have sex again.

#25 of 33 Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 PM

I'm vey Crampy tonight. Not like Braxton hicks though. More like it feels like I'm going to start my period. Just dull achey cramps. My legs are Crampy too, I have a lot of varicose veins taking a hot bath and hopefully it will relax me enough to get some sleep
#26 of 33 Old 09-08-2014, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
@apeydef that is exactly how I felt last night too, and enough to worry me. I drank water and that seemed to help. I feel better this morning. How are you feeling?
#27 of 33 Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Are you pooping? Eat fruit or stool softeners. How about magnesium? Take a supplement. These two things usually help.

#28 of 33 Old 09-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Are you pooping? Eat fruit or stool softeners. How about magnesium? Take a supplement. These two things usually help.
Yes I've been going a lot actually, more than once a day.
#29 of 33 Old 09-08-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracha04 View Post
@apeydef that is exactly how I felt last night too, and enough to worry me. I drank water and that seemed to help. I feel better this morning. How are you feeling?
Yea I think I need to up my water intake and get some rest. my sleep is very broken up.
#30 of 33 Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Team No Sleep over here. I have a sick kid at home with what I hope is just a passing cold but since he's asthmatic, I have to really watch him. More than likely I will be keeping him home from school tomorrow as well.

My sleep has been completely jacked up all weekend. But on a positive note, Dh and I managed to DTD for the first time in almost a month! I can barely stay awake these days so he caught me at a good time LOL

I'm 25 weeks and things are going ok. Lots and lots of movement.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page