Mothering Forum banner

If you could write a book, what would it be about?

801 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  LilyTiger 
#1 ·
Cookbook? Autobiography? Novel? Self-help?

I would LOVE to write a book all about my experiences with birth... personal experiences and all the things I've seen as a nurse. Kind of like Peggy Vincent's Baby Catcher. :)

#2 ·
My husbands an author, so I always feel pretty self conscious about my writing. Not that I should, he is very supportive I just know that I could never stick to it like he does or write as much as he does. . .but if I could/would write a book it would be a cookbook. I love to cook and I think there should be more cookbooks with nuturing family meals.

#3 ·
I would definitely want to write a novel. When I was a child I used to write all kinds of stories. I wanted to be an author before I was 18. Then I hit the teen years and decided I sucked and threw away all my work! Ugh! I've been busy ever since.

It's a goal of mine to take up writing again in the next year or so. I feel like I have stories to write somewhere inside of my head, but I've not used that part of me for so long. I imagine it's going to take a lot of work, time, and crappy writing to hopefully get to some hidden literary gems lurking in the forgotten recesses of my mind!

#4 ·
My first book was actually just published this spring. It's a book on the family; it's somewhat dense political philosophy, so not really a page turner. ;) I published an edited volume before that, but I only count the single-author one as *my* book.

But my husband and I are tossing around ideas to write a book together on some modern political issues that would be more of a popular book. We'd like to approach some modern parenting dilemmas like helicopter parents, but I suspect Free Range Kids has done it all already.

I've dabbled in creative writing, but it never gelled for me. I have a bunch of short stories and poems from college and while they're not awful, they're not really great either. I never come up with great plot ideas, which you sort of need. I'm more of an abstract thinker, I guess.

#5 ·
My first book was actually just published this spring. It's a book on the family; it's somewhat dense political philosophy, so not really a page turner. ;) I published an edited volume before that, but I only count the single-author one as *my* book.

But my husband and I are tossing around ideas to write a book together on some modern political issues that would be more of a popular book. We'd like to approach some modern parenting dilemmas like helicopter parents, but I suspect Free Range Kids has done it all already.

I've dabbled in creative writing, but it never gelled for me. I have a bunch of short stories and poems from college and while they're not awful, they're not really great either. I never come up with great plot ideas, which you sort of need. I'm more of an abstract thinker, I guess.
Well, what's it called? How can you not tell us?

I have three books in mind (and it's really sad that with all this time, I'm not writing one of them):

1. Circumcision
2. Memoir surrounding addiction and recovery in my family
3. The case for having kids, social psychological cultural issues surround the childfree, personal growth in parenting

#6 ·
That's awesome that you are published, LilyTiger! Is there any way we can have a peek at your recent book? Though these days I rarely finish a full article in Vanity Fair :frown:, I got through my husband's Phd (on post-cold war peacekeeping) so I might still have it in me to read smart stuff... As for writing about modern parenting, there are always new issues cropping up - that's one area where we'll never be able to say that everything has been covered.

Chapsie, a book about your experiences with birth would be priceless! I haven't read Peggy Vincent's book but will look for it. I learned more from the birth stories at the beginning of Ina May Gaskin's books than any other birth-prep resource. I also really enjoyed a blog that was around several years back - hilarious stories from a L&D nurse. You must have seen it ? It stopped abruptly and I always worried that she might have been found out and got in trouble for it.

I'd love to write novels and always thought I would someday. I think though that I was more interested in the romantic image of a writer sitting at a typewriter by a window in a cabin with a cat...as I definitely don't have what it takes to fully develop plots and characters the way the greats do. I really admire anyone who does!

#7 ·
Chapsie, Peggy's book is one of my all time favorite books I've ever read! :)

I'm not a fantastic writer and would never actually try to write something seriously. Babbling about myself in my blog is about as good as it gets. If forced, I'd probably choose to write something related to large family living and organizing. Or maybe the funny-crazy story of our move from the huge city to the uber country. 🌽

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.