Mothering Forum banner

co-sleeping info

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  maranapanda 
#1 ·
I've been looking for info on safe co-sleeping practices since we realized the Arms' Reach co-sleeper we used previously isn't the right height to connect to our new bed. Baby will still sleep in there near our bed, but I know I'll be falling asleep while breastfeeding him in the bed, too. I found this research-based website from the Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory and thought I would share. It provides a lot of good tips supporting safe co-sleeping and also has some interesting general info about infant sleep patterns, etc.
http://cosleeping.nd.edu

#2 ·
I've been a bit annoyed by the negative press, mostly through my facebook feed, on dangers of bedsharing/co-sleeping. I readily admit that I BEDSHARE and I believe it is very safe for my family because I am going into it with a plan and purpose, rather than unintentionally falling asleep in bed with my baby. There is a huge difference. So many sleep-deprived parents fall asleep with their babies on the couch or in a recliner, and that is definitely not safe! I have a designated space for the baby on my king-sized bed that does not include pillows or blankets, with no other adult in the bed sleeping next to the baby. This set-up allows me to get the maximum amount of sleep. Here is another link that I like from Dr. Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/sleep-problems/sleep-safety/cosleeping-safely

#3 ·
Don't know how people can get any sleep with out co sleeping. It's going to be interesting how everything goes since our 3 year old is still with us, but I know it will work out. Tlhere is plenty of space, we have a king and a toddler bed right next to it. I've been trying to get him into his toddler bed, but he is a cuddle, wiggle, at night.
@cactuspear if it too low I've seen those leg extenders for the arms reach for sale.

#4 ·
I think people who use formula get more sleep. The website talks about how formula-fed babies sleep longer and deeper, creating the expectation from doctors and parents of all babies that infants should "sleep through the night" earlier than is natural. It also says bedsharing can be more dangerous for these babies, since they are more difficult to rouse and their sleep patterns are different from BF babies. I remember that a lot of people around me couldn't understand why my DD woke up all the time in the night. They'd be like, "STILL not sleeping 6 hours at a time??"

Interestingly, my mom told me that when I was only 2 months old, the doctor told her to mix cereal into my bottles every night so that I would sleep longer and not get hungry. Can't imagine that was good for my developing gut, but it was common at the time and she didn't know any better. Of course, I slept in a totally different room, too.

#5 ·
I only bedshared with one out of three of my infants and I got WAY more sleep in the first three months!!

I like how that link says that safe Cosleeping (bedsharing) begins with an informed, committed, breastfeeding mother.

As a nurse, I have to teach safe sleep is baby alone, on their back, in a crib. (right after witnessing consent forms for circumcisions. ::sigh:: let's just say I parent very differently than I am "supposed" to. :p. )

#9 ·
My family practice doctor was awesome about co-sleeping. She basically said, "Here's what I'm supposed to say: X, Y, Z. Here's the reality: if you breastfeed, you'll need to co-sleep, so here's how to do it safely. No alcohol, no bulky bedding, no babies near spouses, no co-sleeping if you're obese or have breathing problems, etc. etc." Her attitude was that as a doctor she has to work with what parents are going to do and if you tell parents not to co-sleep they'll just lie about it to you instead of being honest, and dishonesty can lead to problems in assessing real risks in the home. Anyway, it seemed like a really great approach. My daughter nursed every 1.5 hours night and day for the first four months, so I would not have gotten any sleep if we weren't co-sleeping. Mom's sanity and health matters too.

#10 ·
#11 ·
How do we report a gross crazy forum troll? Perhaps a PM to somebody?

It is SO weird what some people choose to spend their time on.

#14 ·
I also flagged the posts and tagged Cynthia... she was on top of things and they are all removed now. Isn't it crazy how violated it makes you feel to have a troll in our sacred space like that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.