How/when are you sharing the news? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talking How/when are you sharing the news?

How do you plan on telling your husband, family and friends the news? Any cute ideas? Since I miscarried in late May/ early June im sceptical in telling people too early but im pretty excited too so im scared I just might blurt it out. I need a plan. Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 08:11 AM

I told my husband immediately. Because I was in shock. I've told a handful of close friends just by telling them. I'll probably write a blog with photos to tell most people.

jess-  capturing His creation from behind my Nikon and nurturing what bit of it He gave me when He made me a mother.

www.thehodgepodgedarling.blogspot.com

Old 07-14-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were in Michigan at my in-laws lake house and my husband knew I was going to be taking a test before our family and friends arrived for the 4th of July weekend. I took two tests in the morning and then we went for a golf cart ride to the beach and I told him that afternoon (BFP-July 3rd).

I told my best friend a week later on July 10th and we told my parents the next day (July 11th). This is their first grandchild so I bought my mom a children's book "Grandma Loves Me" and my dad "Goodnight Moon." On each book I put a note that read, "Dear Grandma/pa, Please read this book to me when I arrive in March. Love, Baby K." I wrapped the books, made a surprise visit with DH and told them we had an "anniversary" gift for them (their wedding anniversary was two days beforehand). They unwrapped the books and there were lots of happy tears that night! I also told both my brothers that night that they were going to be uncles.

We are planning on telling my in-laws tonight the same way we told my parents. We will also tell my sister-in law, her husband and our nieces and nephew as well as Grandma sometime this week. As we see some of our close friends, we may tell them if the opportunity arises. I'm so excited, but so nervous to announce to too many people until we hear the heartbeat!

Of course we will do some sort of announcement on Social Media, but not until the first trimester is well over!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
On the 4th of July we rode our bikes to a parade and drank wine in the sunshine, etc., and I thought, eh, I should test just in case. So I tested in the afternoon after behaving in an un-pregnant way and there was the positive. I wanted it to be special since it's been so long, and the chances of this baby surviving are higher than before. So on Saturday I called around and found three handmade marbles, one smaller one and two normal sized. I bought them, and got some tissue paper and ribbon and fashioned a little pea pod. I also got a cute little card and wrote "Another pea in our pod. March 2015." It was way more special than any other time I told him, and we can treasure it for a long time.

I told my beloved granma and have been talking to her on the phone. Everyone else (even super close friends) will have to wait till September, if baby sticks around. I am trying to think of creative ways to do this. We each have a - ahem - super productive - sister, so this baby will be #4 for one set of grandparents and #5 for the other.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have only told my husband so far. I waited a week after my missed period to test; partly because I desperately did not want to be pregnant (and for this I ask forgiveness of those of you who have had trouble conceiving. I know so many people would love to be in this situation; for me it is what it is.) I also have had weird periods since the return of af after my daughter. Strange cycle lengths. My last period came so much earlier than expected. I told my husband after being in knots inside for that week and then I tested and told him right away. He's wonderful and although he's grieving the loss of what we thought our future looked like he always thought our family wasn't done. I wish I felt that way! I am still struggling to accept this. I made it well known that I didn't want more children to so many that this is a little bit humiliating, to be honest. Thanks for listening to this less-than-upbeat post. I will tell people after I hear a heartbeat I think--in a couple of weeks. (My in-laws are staying with us in two weeks and they're from CA and love wine, so I'll need to explain why I'm not sharing. I love wine!)

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM

teamviddy I wish that I had a grandma like yours to talk to! That's so special.
I have also told my Oct '11 DDC about it. I love having some people I know (we've had meet ups and all that) but who aren't part of my immediate circle.)

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I love reading how you told your news! I told my mom and dad this morning as soon as I got my +++ because we were flying home today (my son and I were visiting them in Mexico) but I haven't told my hubby yet (he's working and I'm waiting for him to get home). I bought him a bag of his favorite Mexican chocolates, put the HPT in a baggy and put it inside the chocolate bag. I hope he's in the mood for chocolate!

I told a cousin and my mom's best friend, but that's it. I will tell a couple more very close friends and we'll tell my in-laws when we visit them in early August.

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)
m/c 07/14 and Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my first, I took the tests (like 5 of them!) before work because I was in complete shock. I was certain it was another missed chance. DH was at work so I couldn't tell him then and didn't want to over the phone, so I made him drive the hour to my school! After that we tried to put off telling anyone, but we're just too excited and couldn't so we started calling everyone to share the news.

With our second, we were trying so DH and I took the test together. We waited a bit longer to tell others, though. We went in for our first appt at around 6 wks and had our first u/s. I took that picture and a picture of DS1 and put them in a frame I made that said "grandkids-the more the merrier!" We gave those to my mom, MIL, and FIL. We didn't make it public until after we knew the gender at 16 wks. We then posted a picture of DS1 in a big brother T-shirt holding blue balloons that said "its a boy!"

This time, I kind of suspected that I could be pregnant after getting a bit of spotting around 6/7 DPO. I watched for other symptoms and when I had no sign of starting on the 7th I finally blurted out to DH that I needed to buy a test. We haven't really told anyone else yet. Both of us are still trying to wrap our heads around this. Thinking of waiting again until we find out the gender and then creating a #1 , #2 , #3 collage with the boys' pictures and the gender u/s picture. Or maybe using pumpkins with a saying "Adding a new pumpkin to our patch!" Since it will be in Oct.

2nd Grade Teacher
Wife to a Firefighter
Mommy to Maximus Asher (Dec '10)
and Bayde Orion (Feb '13)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarino View Post
teamviddy I wish that I had a grandma like yours to talk to! That's so special.
I have also told my Oct '11 DDC about it. I love having some people I know (we've had meet ups and all that) but who aren't part of my immediate circle.)
Thanks, she is special... Plus the warm, loving listening thing kind of skipped a generation (which my mom is very self-aware about ) so having granma there is super special. I am treasuring every day; she's very lively and healthy so I am hoping we have several more years together on this earth.

She thinks it's a good idea to wait till 12 weeks too. I just don't want the family drama if there's a MC, just doesn't make it any easier... Although, my estimated due date is the same day as my baby sister's wedding so that drama should be interesting.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Haven't told anybody but DH and one friend because I knew she could keep a secret. I'm really struggling with when to tell our kids. They're 8 and 11 and I'm going to have betas done today and I told DD that I am having a blood test because of some meds I am taking. She has to come with me. I hate lying but we never told them with our miscarriage last year and I'm glad. They cry for a week when a pet fish dies. They are sensitive kids I'm thinking after we get a heartbeat on ultrasound we'll tell them and family and close friends. I want to keep it secret at work until thanksgiving at least (complicated reasons) so no Facebook announcement. We are going to get a lot of "but your kids are older why do you want to start over" comments that I'm not looking forward to
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM

Told hubby last night... I gave him the bag of chocolates and he said, "thanks, I'll wait until later to try one." I'm like: "No, really, they're super tasty, try them now." He did, pulled out the HPT and got totally red in the face! Good thing he was sitting down b/c he was speechless for a while!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I tested positive three days ago, the day I would have gotten my period. I knew I was pregnant because I had a couple intense dreams about it. I told my husband right away. He smiled and said "Yeah, that was obvious". Between the dreams and my inability to stomach salad and a bunch of smells for the last week, he had a good idea.
We share a house with another family, so I told them right away. They were also not surprised.
We decided to wait a few days before breaking the news to our immediate family and closest, just to let it all sink in. We like to tell those close to us early because we would want them to know even if the baby doesn't decide to stick around and I miscarry.

The next day I had a playdate scheduled with a good friend of mine and I called to cancel because my morning sickness was bad that day. I decided to tell her the truth and break the news. Turns out that she is also 4-5 weeks pregnant! I'm really hopeful that both our babies stick around because it would be so fun to have a pregnancy buddy!

We'll wait until we hear the heartbeat to let acquaintances know and 2nd trimester for social media.

:-)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I told my husband last night. I put a poppyseed in his hand and said "that's how big your baby is." He was dumbstruck and then so so sweet. He's excited and immediately went into financial planning mode. This is our first so it's all really new.

I may tell my sister and my best friend soon - I think they can keep quiet. We are going on vacation next week so maybe we'll tell our parents the week after. I want to catch their reactions on video if possible.

But we won't tell anyone else until 12ish weeks I think - is that the guideline? I have my first appointment at 8 weeks with an NP and then my husband is coming with me to meet with the Doc at about 11 weeks. Seems like a good time to start shouting from the rooftops after that!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichael77 View Post
I told my husband last night. I put a poppyseed in his hand and said "that's how big your baby is."
I love how that is so simple and so sweet!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I told my husband right away. I've told 2 friends that are not local.
I will tell my 3 closest friends right away (I kept it secret last time, miscarried/got really sick and had to explain)
The general population will know after my 1st tri is over
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For dh I sent him an invite for an all day event with no title on my due date. He called me a few minutes later. I was surprised he figured it out! I sent my bff a picture of the positive test, she knew I was late and were trying. Our parents and siblings will probably be told at 6 weeks or so, I'll get my two year old to tell them when we are all together. And everyone else can find out after the first trimester is over.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
It's so early I have no idea.... I told my partner right away and my closest friend. I haven't told my almost 3 year old because I don't want her to tell and I would hate to explain a loss (which totally is NOT going to happen).

I have never done a cute pregnancy announcement so I would like to do a 2nd trimester cute thing (like all the cutesy pinterest crap)?! I would like to tell family sooner but 3 weeks seems TOO soon ya know?

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey ladies, I am loving reading how you all have shared the news!

Last Friday I was so proud of myself for surprising my DH in a really great way. I got my BFP while he was at work. We had been trying for several months so my excitement was hard to contain. We had plans that night to go on a family walk after dinner... so I wrapped up the test in a cute box and went out with DS and planted it under a little foot-bridge over the creek along our walking route. Then when we walked by a few hours later, I "noticed the box" and I was all "hey what's that? go check! open it!" and he was so excited. It felt nice to give him a fun surprise, outside in the fresh air too.

Two years ago with my first pregnancy I totally freaked DH out by waking him up in the middle of the night (lights and urgent "get out of bed" and all the drama) to come see the test for himself. I didn't plan it that way but I had tested a week earlier (too early) and got a bfn...so then a week later I realized that maybe I was pregnant and took the test the next morning on my first trip to the bathroom...which just happened to be at 3am. I know, I was a little overzealous at the time. So let's just say it wasn't hard to top that one. We still laugh about how that was such an unpleasant way to share really great news!

I'm wondering if you all have any clever ideas for telling the grandparents? They live far, so it'll be over FaceTime. We do have a "big brother" shirt as a prop if need be. Looking for some way to build up a little "suspense" before sharing the news...they'll be surprised, and thrilled for sure. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 AM

HappyMama - What an awesome way to surprise your husband!!! I'm also stumped about how to tell the grandparents. I told my parents flat out because I tested at their home while visiting them (they live out of town). But we're going to visit my husband's family in two weeks and want to give them the news in person. We're arriving late at night, so I was just thinking of doing the "big brother" t-shirt in the morning when our son wakes up. But more creative ideas are welcome, since I think that's how my SIL surprised them with her second baby! Time to hit Pinterest, huh???

Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi, ladies. I love reading your creative ways of telling!
I found out after my hubby was at work. We'd been trying for just 2 cycles (and have a history of fast uptake), but we thought it was a no, since DH knew I kept getting BFNs. But then I got a BFP the day AF was due, while he was at work.

We had dinner plans (not fancy), so I wanted to tell him at dinner. I cam up with the plan to take the digital pregnancy stick with me, along with a little strip of paper with the due date & a note. I snuck the napkin-wrapped silverware behind my menu & surreptitiously switched the fork/knife for the stick/note, and re-wrapped it. Then I put it at his place while he was in the bathroom. When he went to use his napkin, he was very surprised!! I got it on video.

My in-laws came the next day to return my kids (they were at "camp grandma"), and since they live far away, we decided to go ahead & tell them & the kids. Since I couldn't find any t-shirts that said "I'm being promoted to Big Brother", I bought plain T's and inkjet transfer paper & made my own shirts for the boys. Then I bought a couple of pacifiers with little soccer balls on them, and wrapped those with the t-shirts for my kids. We had to explain what it all meant to them, lol (oldest is 8.5), and then we put the t-shirts on them and sent them outside to kiss grandparents. My MIL is a former police captain, so she's pretty observant & she noticed the shirts right away.

Now for my parents, whom I will tell when I go visit them the 1st of August. I'll probably just use the kids' t-shirts again. I bet it will take them longer to notice, though.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:24 PM

I just ordered my daughter a "I'm a big sister!" shirt since I can't keep my mouth shut much longer but I want to do something cute

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Given my history of miscarriages, I don't think we're gonna do a big reveal this time. I'm telling people individually as needed, and eventually the gossip will work its way around. Or I'll start to show.

So far I've told my athletic coach, boss, and a couple close friends. My parents spilled the beans early with my first pregnancy, intentionally and against our wishes, so I figure we'll tell them when we're en route to the hospital for delivery.

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, dealing with recurrent miscarriage.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM

I have yet to tell my own family and my MIL just spilled the beans on FB that she is expecting another grandchild. She didn't mention us but now I feel like the pressure is on to tell my dad before he sees it on FB haha. She is not the most socially appropriate person... oh well!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyJess View Post
I told my husband immediately. Because I was in shock. I've told a handful of close friends just by telling them. I'll probably write a blog with photos to tell most people.
Same here! I was in such shock that I couldn't even be excited. My husband was like "aren't you happy?" And i was like "I...I don't know. I think I will be I'm just shocked." Then after I took the second test I started cracking up and was so excited. Then I called my mom. I told my step dad two days later because it was his birthday (he and my mom have been wanting a grandbaby for a while) and I wrapped up the test for his birthday. Best birthday present I've ever given! I told my best friend right away too. I told some more close friends pretty soon, and then told the rest of the family and close friends after my dating ultrasound. Still haven't announced on social media yet. That's still something I'm trying to figure out whether or not I'm ready to do. I want to so badly but I'm still nervous.

7 weeks, 5 days.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiDrewMama View Post
I have yet to tell my own family and my MIL just spilled the beans on FB that she is expecting another grandchild. She didn't mention us but now I feel like the pressure is on to tell my dad before he sees it on FB haha. She is not the most socially appropriate person... oh well!
Oye! I'd be so mad! All of the family and friends we've told we made sure to tell them NO SHARING ON SOCIAL MEDIA. So far they've been respectful. I'm still waiting for the day that one of them slips or something. Especially family members that weren't told specifically by me.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Alright what do you all think?? Cute? I can't keep my mouth shut much longer! In fact I may put this up on FB tonight since family knows now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicMonkey Collage.jpg (278.2 KB, 17 views)

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM

@LexiDrewMama , I love it! She looks so excited. I am having trouble not announcing it as well Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm telling no one at all. In fact, I contacted the homebirth midwife to see if she would be around next March...but nobody else will know until at least 20 weeks if not further. I tend not to show really until 30 weeks...so. Nobody needs to know really. I don't want any pregnancy drama, and for some reason, this seems right that people don't know. Let's see, last time around my mother died, and then I had a previa bleed at 14 weeks. Somehow, it seems like if I hide it from people, then things will proceed more smoothly. Funny, isn't it?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM

Oh Lisa, that is so sad. I am sorry that has been your experience. hugs to you.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
LexiDrewMama, that is SO CUTE!

Lisa, I'm sorry that your previous experiences were so sad. You should do it your way- if you don't want to tell or make a big deal, more power to you.

AFM: We're driving (right now, actually) to NC to visit my folks for the weekend so we can break the news. Although my mother already knows. She always knows everything! We were talking earlier this week about the plans for the weekend & she just busted out with "do you have any news?" I couldn't outright lie (she IS my mom), so I just told her she'd have to wait and see. So, she knows. And realistically, so does my dad, since she's no good at keeping secrets. But my sister doesn't know yet. We have "I'm being Promoted to BIG BROTHER" T-shirt for my DS2, and "I'm the Big BIG BROTHER" T for my oldest. I was thinking that when we arrive at Mom & Dad's, though, I may just hand Mom an apple seed. And see if she puts it together, or let the boys tell her & Dad. Then the T-shirts will be to tell my sister tomorrow. I may post pics, if I think about it.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)

User Tag List