• 1 Post By oliversmom03
  • 1 Post By Courtlaur
  • 2 Post By Yaliina

#1 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Names

Do you all already have names in mind? We have had our names picked out for years. I hope the name fits the babe! They're both exclusively family names and both DH and I want to go with these names no matter what...
Miriam May - or - Janez Robert
gabeyho likes this.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#2 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Those are nice names team viddy! I really like Miriam May!

I think we are going to go with Sarah Rose if it's a girl. Not sure on a boys name yet. My husband didn't decide on our boys names until they were both almost 2 weeks old.... so I might be waiting awhile lol. We have an agreement where I pick the girls names and he does the boys. It has worked well so far... and of course the person not picking has to like the name too.
Courtlaur likes this.

Married my wonderful husband Jan 06

Five times blessed! 
DD - August '07
DS1 - February '10
DS2 - April '12
D? - MC Sept '14 @ 16weeks
Expecting our RAINBOW March '15 

Other than that we
#3 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We have names picked:
Benjamin Jeffery
Charlotte Kathleen

(Jeffery after my husbands uncle that passed 8/13 from cancer, and Kathleen after my Mom that passed 11/13)
#4 of 20 Old 07-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm TOTALLY clueless at this point regarding names. The only thing we know is we want Phoenix as the middle name if it's a girl (because our son's middle name is Drake, which means Dragon, therefore the Phoenix and the Dragon/female and male Chinese representations!). I'm Mexican and would love names that don't sound weird when pronounced either in Spanish or English. Thank goodness we have 9 months...

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#5 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nothing is in stone yet but we're thinking Isabella Louise or Penelope Estella for a girl and Henry Theodore or Henry Vincent for a boy.
#6 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a tradition in my family of two middle names. My son's first middle name is Huckleberry, so we'll probably choose another plant/flower name for this baby's first middle name. Our top 3 girl names are: Rosemary, Eleanor, and Ursula. Our top 3 boys names are: Sebastian, Thomas, and Solomon. I never fully settle until I meet the baby though.
gabeyho likes this.

Married to the love of my life I'm a stay at home Catholic mom who loves to read, clean, AP, and make my own herbal medicine.
Our kids: 2 babies in heaven; Peter, born at home 4/5/13 ; Baby in belly, due 3/20/15 Planning on another homebirth and tandem nursing.
#7 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM

OK wow. I woke up this morning at 4am and a girl's name came to me in that moment between sleeping and waking. I'm hesitant to put it out there yet, but I'm excited - it's perfect!!! I think we might be having a girl!!!

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and pregnant again EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!
#8 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lovely! I adore these names you've picked out! I love traditional names and unusual names that are thoughtfully chosen. There are sooo many "unusual" names that are just following trends, and were just made up recently. In my heart of hearts I don't believe there's anything wrong with it but I do work in a job that exposes me to 1000s of childrens' names and I am finding myself rolling my eyes often. The unusual spellings are kind of ridiculous (although helpful in a database searching situation ).

So I am only slightly conflicted with Janez... It is very traditional and a family name, but it is pronounced Yan-ez and I just imagine being that parent who is like, yes, in English you pronounce a J like this, but this is a special name for my special snowflake and you have to pronounce it in a special way! Maybe we can call him Ezzie? It wouldn't stop people from mispronouncing the full name all his life, but it's kind of a cute nickname and when he gets older it could be Ez. Better than Yan or Jan as a nickname. We have our minds made up about using the name for a boy, though.
Courtlaur likes this.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#9 of 20 Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 PM

teamviddy - That's such a great shortening of the name, and I love how it goes from cute and endearing for a child to short and masculine for an adult! And anyways, in other languages the J is pronounced Y (like Johann), so you can always point that out if anyone gets nitpicky!

#10 of 20 Old 07-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Nice names, ladies. I was wondering at the pronunciation of Janez. Sorry, I'd definitely be one of the people who called his name wrong. But as long as you don't mind correcting it, no big deal. I have a difficult-to-pronounce name, and have spent most of my life correcting people. No big deal & just part of life. It also means I get to go by my first name a lot, since it's unusual, I'm most often the only one.

We've been working on names forever, and since we have had all boys, the girl names we picked in the beginning are pretty much still a go, except for Olivia or Lydia, which were our top picks many years ago, before they became so popular. Now, our top girl names are either Annabelle (for DH's mom, whose middle name is Ann, and my grandmother, whose middle name was Isobel), or Emilyne, because I really like it. If it's a boy (which we're just assuming it will be, lol), we're leaning towards Cavan (which is Irish). Middle names are still very much in the air, and the lists are much longer for those. But we have plenty of time to figure it out. We'll have it decided before the 3rd trimester. We like to have time to get used to the name and fall in love with it before baby is born. Although since we don't plan to find out gender this time, I'm not sure how it'll work.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#11 of 20 Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamviddy View Post
Do you all already have names in mind? We have had our names picked out for years. I hope the name fits the babe! They're both exclusively family names and both DH and I want to go with these names no matter what...
Miriam May - or - Janez Robert
Jackson James or Adaline Mae
Courtlaur likes this.
#12 of 20 Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM

I am a bit crazy when it comes to names. I have to have them picked out by the time we learn the gender which we usually do privately around 15-16 wks. So I always start thinking the moment I get pregnant! We also get stuck on themes with our kids names. We want the initials to spell something like DHs, have something to do with fire, and be some what unique.

With DS1 his name was easy. After Gladiator came out DH told me we would have a Maximus someday and then his middle name is ASHer to go with fire and he is a M.A.D Max! DS2 wasn't as easy and follows the themes very slimly! Basically found on some random site and agreed on Bayde the night before our u/s and chose Orion because we saw on ONE site that it was the son of the god of fire and we just liked it. His initials spell B.O.D...not really the word we had hoped for but we liked the names. For this one, I really want the initials to spell END since this LO will be the end of our little family. The girl name is easy. We have had it picked out for four years...Ember Niyah, but our boy name has proven to be harder. Thinking Emerson or Emeric. I have also toyed with Eagan which means fiery one, but DH doesn't like it much and I am having a head time not thinking of Ghostbusters! We don't have any real middle names other than Night which doesn't follow any themes or Nash.
#13 of 20 Old 07-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If its a girl she'll be Brielle. If its a boy he'll be Nicholas James. I'm undecided about Brielle's middle name. I like Mackenzie but I also like Rose. Rose is my mother's middle name and she hates it, but I like it. Nicholas's middle name is after my Grandfather.
Yaliina likes this.

Last edited by Courtlaur; 07-26-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
#14 of 20 Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, I am so impressed by those who already have a solid feeling of what names they are going to go with. I really love the names Nina and Lucy for a girl but DH doesn't like either of the. I have always loved the name Xen for a boy, but with three girls haven't had the opportunity to use it.

My three daughters are Isabella, Sophia and Fiona and now I am wondering if the 4th needs to end in an "a" too (although I didn't plan the first 3 that way)
#15 of 20 Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I like Ynez or Ines (pronounced the same) but Josh doesn't love it. Thats for a girl. A boy maybe Wyeth.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#16 of 20 Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I love that name Miriam, it's been on our list a few times. We find picking girls names to be really easy, and we have this short list if names we love, so when we have a girl we pretty much just go the next name on the list. Our three daughters are Genevieve, Annelise, and Abigail. If we have a girl this time, she will be Cecilia. I'd like the middle name arose, as it's in my family, but hubby hasn't warmed up to it yet. He will . We like our girls names to be long and very feminine, since we have a very short last name.

We find boys names to be harder. Our two sons are Gabriel and John-Paul, and we have a short list as of last night of boys names, but I think it will take a while to settle on one. I don't think we will settle until we find out if we're having a boy. Sebastian has always been a favorite, also Augustine, Benjamin, and Maximilian. I just fell in love with the name Thaddeus a few days ago, and it is a name that is used interchangeably for St. Jude, which makes it a very old and strong name, but also not common, but for a commonly known saint. I just love it. I'm holding out for it, and that's why we won't agree on anything for a while, because dh is not thrilled with it yet.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#17 of 20 Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Beautiful names, ladies. @forgetnever , I read a really good name blog recently that talked about setting "rules' with kids' names. She suggested that if you have 2 kids with the same naming convention, but break it with a 3rd or subsequent child, and then it is no longer a rule. But, if you have 3 kids with the same naming convention, then it makes it more of a "rule" & is obvious if you decide to do something different with the 4th, unless you plan to have more. So if you have 3 girls that end with "a" and the fourth doesn't, it might sound a little "off" when you call all their names on the playground. That being said, it's your kid & her name will not always be said in the context of her sisters, so you should do what you like.

The link to that blog, which is quite interesting, is: http://www.swistle.com/babynames/
forgetnever and siggitysarah like this.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#18 of 20 Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Girls name top runner is Veda Grace. I also like Astrid.

I'm totally feeling boy though... And boys names are harder I think. So far I like Bryce, Bastian, and Torin. I like Bastian the most, but am having a hard time with a middle name.
#19 of 20 Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM

This is the fun part!

My partner and I found the one boy's name we agree on with our first, so if we have a boy, I have no clue what we'll name him! I like River, Tucker, and Kai.

As for girl's names, there are so many pretty ones. I think Nora will be our first choice, but in there is Amelia, Maple, Claire, Fiona, Juniper.
#20 of 20 Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 PM

It's fun to read all the beautiful names you ladies are thinking of.

My DD is Rosie May after my grandmother and her great, great grandmother. I love having family names.

If it's a boy, we are thinking James Bradley (after his grandfather and my dad) or Roland James because my husband loves the name Roland after the main character in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. That wouldn't be after any family that i'm aware of, but I may give in For a girl, I like the name Cora - but don't know about a middle name. I think we have a long way to go with girls names...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page