1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazyms

#1 of 5 Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pregnant with children?

Hi all,

From the introductions, it seems like many of you already have one or two (or more!) children. I have 1 son, age 3, and I have a question.

So far, my pregnancy has left me tired, nauseous, and foggy-brained (just like the first one). Those of you with children, how do you deal with pregnancy symptoms will attending to the needs of your other munchkins? My little guy is so high energy, and so sweet, but I don't know how to give him what he needs right now, when I feel so crummy.

Right now, we're visiting my parents, so it's not too much of an issue -- he's with them almost nonstop! But soon we'll be back home, with my husband who works long hours, and I'm worried how I'll manage.

Thanks for any tips!
#2 of 5 Old 07-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm sorry you're going through such unpleasantness. You just take it one day at a time & rely on family & friends as much as you can. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#3 of 5 Old 07-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Not in the DDC so sorry for crashing! DD was 22 months when I delivered DS so I had to do the pregnancy with a toddler then and it is hectic. It wasn't so bad with my 3rd since ds and dd were 4 and 6 when I had her but I still had two kids to tend to during the pregnancy. Short terms of bedrest during both of my last two pregnancies didn't help. Any help you can get from family and friends is a big benefit but was one that we unfortunately didn't have much of. Dh worked long hours and I was usually without any back up or help.

Some ideas that helped us get through:
- Easy meals and snacks ready for the little ones plus individual cups premade that they could grab out alone. Even my toddler could open the fridge to grab out a small dish or cup off the bottom shelf. I'd have dh fix easy meals and snacks into tupperware containers and pre make the cups so we had enough for the day (especially when I was on bed rest).
- Lots of couch time snuggles and loves with quiet activities or games. We would read or do puzzles and such from the couch.
- Busy bags! (or boxes) I gathered together lots of different busy bags or activity boxes and would keep them in a stack near the couch so I could swap them out as needed. This gave the little ones something fun to do that was ready to go plus I gave them different bags or boxes each day so it was fresh and new. This kept them really busy.
- Relax on rules! We watched more tv together when pregnant than I normally allow but hey this is survival!
- If you can get out then short walks are good. Even getting out in the yard and letting them get in a sandbox or something didn't require a lot of activity from a lousy feeling mom but still kept them entertained.
- Find friends/family with other kids to come visit. This really keeps the kids active and occupied plus gives you an extra pair of eyes and hands. The mama time with another mom always helped me feel not so alone in the struggle because I knew she'd been there too.
- Not a popular idea for some but I also let our routines go sometimes during pregnancy. If I felt better later in the day then I'd let the kids stay up later with me and sleep in later together in the mornings so that we got more time together with me feeling better.

Hang tight mama! This will pass and everyone will be fine in a new routine once it's over.
montessorimama1 likes this.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 5 Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two other kids, Cassie is 7 Dominic is 4. I am much more drained than I remember being with either of them.
#5 of 5 Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the supportive words!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page