Do's and Don'ts Bucket List - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

#1 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Do's and Don'ts Bucket List

I wasn't going to have more children so I've forgotten most of the do's and don'ts of pregnancy. Don't make me buy a pregnancy book! Let's spell it out.

I remember:

DONT'S

--deli meats without heating or something
--ibuprophen? right?
--shellfish?
--really hot baths or hot tubs
--DEET (damn, I love deet.)

DO's

--eat bunches of protein
--sit on the floor or hard surfaces and don't lean back (this I remember because of my TWO back labors) As I type this I am reclining on my couch though.
--Sleep on the left side (or is it the right side?)

HEEEELP!

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will be interested to see what else people contribute. I definitely feel like I swim upstream and embrace some pretty out there beliefs.

Most people would recommend staying away from soft cheese from unpasteurized cheese. (I drink unpasteurized milk). Avoid roller coasters. (I am going white water rafting at 7 weeks).

I'm mostly trying to listen to my body for my DO's...I follow Weston Price Foundation principles for diet.
#3 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Oh..Hahaha...and scooping cat boxes. I am definitely cashing in on this.
#4 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

This is MDC. Be out there!

#5 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Traditional / Mainstream DON'T list
Sushi / raw meats
Heavy lifting
Skipping meals
Tylenol (now linked to ADHD/LD)
Caffeine (obviously, Nicotine & alcohol)
I recently heard that antacids are suspect

(already said: soft/unpasteurized cheeses; deli meats uncooked; Really hot water; Deet- try essential oils; shellfish- but I didn't know that; Cat boxes)

I don't know about Ibuprophen.

DO list (this is not necessarily "mainstream," since I don't really do mainstream)
Green/Leafy Veggies
Protein
Folic Acid (Folate)
Prenatal vitamins (of course)
Sunshine (just enough)
WATER
(light) exercise
Organic dairy (this may reduce your LO's risk of eczema)

Now, ask me which of these I adhere to? I try to do all the "DO List" items. I do not follow the mainstream "DON'T List," though. I don't worry about deli meat or even sushi, as long as I'm careful about where it came from. I still get in hot tubs, but I just sit on the ledge more. I've given up coffee & soda, but do on occasion imbibe in a Starbucks, and even a Christmas Egg Nog (shhh!).

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#6 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Yes on the above. I'm even planning to drink a glass of wine on my 40th birthday in December 3rd trimester not a problem.
Ibuprofen is a big no. Reclining back is only an issue in the last month or so. Recline away now.
I also don't shy away from raw cheeses or deli meats or sushi. I have never gotten sick from any of those while not pregnant. I had a friend that denied herself a turkey sandwich for 9 months. It was crazy. It was the one thing she wanted. I was like "just get it fresh it will be fine!!!! " but no. I feel like my body tells me when it is unhappy. Hot tubs make me feel icky now, so I won't do it.

No way am I touching the cat box though lol.
#7 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 PM

I think the shellfish is mercury risk?
#8 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 PM

Oh, right, sleepymama. And tuna from a can, as well, and shark or any other predator is a no-no for the same reason. I'd forgotten.

I don't take any pain meds any more, so I'm not too worried about the ibuprophen or Tylenol too much. I've started using essential oils instead. Now, there ARE a few of those to avoid- like clary sage, for instance. I need to get that list out again & double check it, actually. I'll try to remember to take it with me to work tomorrow (or I'll Google it).

No cats here, thank God. I'm not a cat fan. I have a dog.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#9 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DO: eat what you want, everything in moderation. Do what you're comfortable doing, and relax
#10 of 30 Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM

Well said, Summer. And good advice.

But it is nice to know about some harmful/helpful things that are not immediately apparent or obvious (like the Ibuprophen or Mercury or folic acid). Some people get way too stressed out over the "should" or "should not."

#11 of 30 Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post

We have 6 cats ... I am so taking advantage of not having to do this!

#12 of 30 Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't know what to contribute. I hear all this conflicting info, even on various baby sites.

I know I cut down to 1 cup of coffee a day instead of 2 ... and 1 to no cups of unsweetened ice tea ... as to limit my caffeine.

I am still eating my subway ... I get it toasted and I read since they have such a large turn over rate the meat doesn't really sit.

I still eat sushi, just nothing raw.

I am still on my asthma, allergy, heartburn and zoloft. I was told all of these were find but we'll try to wean me off zoloft for my last trimester. (I'm bi-polar, not terrible but I need the Zoloft or I cannot sleep, I've been known to stay awake over 48 hours ...)

As for do's
Fruit and veggies
lots of water!!!

#13 of 30 Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I like all the information about evidence based pregnancy dos and don'ts. Seems that there has been a lot more information coming out about that recently.

I had coffee the first week or so after discovering I was pregnant. Our normal morning French press coffee started grossing me out in the AM and I ended up getting an espresso in the afternoon, but that started making my heart feel freaky, so I stopped that. I am just getting one of those tiny 90 calorie cans of Coke in the afternoon when the caffeine thing is really affecting me. I am not sure how else to get a little dose of caffiene- I really don't like the refined sugar... Seems to be an acceptable solution for now.

I have a genetic blood clotting disorder but obviously other people in my family have been able to have babies. I am under the assumption that my paternal grandmother had this disorder because her good friend told me she had frequent miscarriages. She also loved booze and in the 40s and 50s it was acceptable to drink while pregnant. I assume that's how she got through her pregnancies without blood thinners . My aunts and uncles and dad are fine, and my assumption is that these family members might not even exist if people felt the way about drinking during pregnancy as they feel now. I believe the research shows that light drinking is totally fine and in other cultures it is absolutely not prohibited.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#14 of 30 Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM

Also I think the kitty litter thing was debunked since it is an unlikely way to catch toxoplasmosis BUT DON'T TELL MY HUSBAND!

#15 of 30 Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 PM

Yeah don't tell my husband either! Haha.

I am bipolar too - weaned off lamictal and Prozac for the first trimester. I think I'll be fine until winter blah sets in at least. When I was pregnant with my son -who has a severe heart defect- I did everything "right" and took no meds. With my daughter I was a mess and stayed on my meds and she is fine. I know it's probably ok but I'd like to be med free for the first tri at least.
#16 of 30 Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

I lived in Italy for a couple of years working for a fine arts college program and when I returned with my husband when pregnant with my first, I was amazed that my friends who were pregnant were drinking a small glass of wine at their meals.

#17 of 30 Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarino View Post
I lived in Italy for a couple of years working for a fine arts college program and when I returned with my husband when pregnant with my first, I was amazed that my friends who were pregnant were drinking a small glass of wine at their meals.
We weren't around any pregnant ladies but when we visited DH's family in Slovenia (about an hours drive from Italy), they drank wine or schnapps before going on a hike, with breakfast, etc.. One of my favorite memories was DH's cousin running out to give the mailman a shot of homemade schnapps at 9 in the morning, which he gratefully drank and then headed out on his scooter. I was like but it was totally normal there, and they are very hardworking and down-to-earth people. I imagine it's probably socially acceptable to drink a little bit while pregnant. And there haven't been any studies that show light drinking has a negative affect. I am still not doing it though...

#18 of 30 Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 PM

I have a picture of my mom about 8 months pregnant with my brother holding a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Cracks me up. Explains some things, maybe...
#19 of 30 Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 PM

I think we as a society are way too uptight about the wrong things. While I don't think that the "she did it & they're fine" argument holds any water (there are people who have survived jumping off bridges, but I don't recommend it), I do think that things such as having an occasional drink, eating deli meat that you're sure is fresh & having expertly-prepared sushi are unlikely to do any harm. There's some risk in almost everything we do.... getting out of bed in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your fact in a fan.

I thought of another "Do" thing: Kegels!! You should all be doing them RIGHT NOW!! My little trick that I learned with my first pregnancy is to do them at every stop light. If you don't do them anywhere/time else, you'll probably be OK (assuming you drive on a regular basis).

#20 of 30 Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Kegels! Thank you! I had forgotten. Yesterday at Zumba I peed myself doing jumping jacks. I was doing them and peeing and feeling happy about the black spandex I was wearing, especially when I was stretching afterward with my butt in another lady's face.

#21 of 30 Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
I cashed in on this as soon as I took the test hahaha! Hallelujah!
#22 of 30 Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamviddy View Post
Also I think the kitty litter thing was debunked since it is an unlikely way to catch toxoplasmosis BUT DON'T TELL MY HUSBAND!

Shhhhh!!!! Don't ruin this for others! Hahah! I'm certainly not telling my husband.
#23 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaliina View Post
I think we as a society are way too uptight about the wrong things. While I don't think that the "she did it & they're fine" argument holds any water (there are people who have survived jumping off bridges, but I don't recommend it), I do think that things such as having an occasional drink, eating deli meat that you're sure is fresh & having expertly-prepared sushi are unlikely to do any harm. There's some risk in almost everything we do.... getting out of bed in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your fact in a fan.

I thought of another "Do" thing: Kegels!! You should all be doing them RIGHT NOW!! My little trick that I learned with my first pregnancy is to do them at every stop light. If you don't do them anywhere/time else, you'll probably be OK (assuming you drive on a regular basis).
Actually even the kegels thing has been up for debate, and the researchI've done all points to kegels being pretty worthless. And from experience with my first I can't argue that.

Skip the kegels and do your squats, lots of squats... Ina May would agree

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fit...-women-and-men
#24 of 30 Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not ready to dismiss kegels! But I think they're annoying, so what's this research?

#25 of 30 Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still stand by kegels, but thanks for the reminder about squats!! My legs have somehow felt weaker the past couple of weeks, so it seems doubly important to make sure muscle strength is still up.
#26 of 30 Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

With my first baby I was a professional fine gardener and I squatted all day for the first 6 months. It helped!

#27 of 30 Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarino View Post
Kegels! Thank you! I had forgotten. Yesterday at Zumba I peed myself doing jumping jacks. I was doing them and peeing and feeling happy about the black spandex I was wearing, especially when I was stretching afterward with my butt in another lady's face.
I did zumba today for the first time!! I didn't know that I was that uncoordinated until today!

Natalie, doula lady & wife to A, mama & teacher to DD (4/07), DD (10/09), DS (12/12), & Surprise babe (3/15)
*~~*~*~Love eachother!!~*~*~~*
  Diabetes Sucks     
#28 of 30 Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

They say you need to do 3-4 classes before you give up! I have a dance background so it's always been natural for me. But don't quit if you like it!

#29 of 30 Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_LuBelle View Post
Actually even the kegels thing has been up for debate, and the researchI've done all points to kegels being pretty worthless. And from experience with my first I can't argue that.

Skip the kegels and do your squats, lots of squats... Ina May would agree

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fit...-women-and-men
OK, my computer keeps losing this post, so I'm going to sum it up.

I'd not heard this about Kegels, and they make perfect sense, since muscle exercises work to strengthen muscles, so I looked it up on PubMed, and here is what I found.

1. Mohktar, et al., 2013. A quantitative approach to measure women's sexual function using electromyography: A preliminary study of the Kegel exercise. Medical Science Monitor.
Basically, they found that women in the study group (who did Kegels) showed a significant increase in quantitative and qualitative pelvic floor strength and sexual function.

2. Park, et al., 2013. Effect of Kegel exercise to prevent urinary and fecal incontinence in antenatal and postnatal women: A systematic review. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing.
They found that Kegel exercises did significantly decrease urinary and fecal incontinence in women from pregnancy to postpartum.

3. Kashanian, et al, 2011. Evaluation of the effect of pelvic floor muscle training (PFMT or Kegel exercise) and assisted pelvic floor muscle training (APFMT) by a resistance device (Kegelmaster device) on the urinary incontinence in women: a randomized trial. European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology.
They found that although there was no significant improvement with the device, Kegel exercises with and without an assistive device "are effective for improvement of urinary incontinence in women."

There were a bunch of others that were the same thing. I didn't see any that concluded that Kegels were useless. Mi_Lubelle, can you give us some references to this. I'd be interested to read what authors found Kegels worthless and why. I'm always for learning new things.

#30 of 30 Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepymama View Post
Yes on the above. I'm even planning to drink a glass of wine on my 40th birthday in December 3rd trimester not a problem.
Ibuprofen is a big no. Reclining back is only an issue in the last month or so. Recline away now.
I also don't shy away from raw cheeses or deli meats or sushi. I have never gotten sick from any of those while not pregnant. I had a friend that denied herself a turkey sandwich for 9 months. It was crazy. It was the one thing she wanted. I was like "just get it fresh it will be fine!!!! " but no. I feel like my body tells me when it is unhappy. Hot tubs make me feel icky now, so I won't do it.

No way am I touching the cat box though lol.
Sleepymama, I am going to be 40 in December as well! I don't drink though, so you have to have a sip for me.

Exercise - if you are doing exercise before baby, there is no reason that you can't continue - if the pregnancy is low risk. In the long run, it helps you out. I just do it in between the waves of morning sickness!

Homeschooling, homebirthing mom to 3 (10, 5 and 2). Fourth expected in late March (yeah right, I carry forever). Probably mid-April!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page