Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   March 2015 Due Date Club (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17602-march-2015-due-date-club/)
-   -   Surprise Pregnancies? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17602-march-2015-due-date-club/1436153-surprise-pregnancies.html)

seeker1219 07-25-2014 11:20 PM

Surprise Pregnancies?

Is anyone else expecting a surprise baby?

I wasn't planning on having any more, and the timing is very very off...but I think after a little more time passes I'll be able to let it sink in more and start feeling excited. For now, it's only been two days since I found out and I'm still feeling a bit shocked! This requires a different thread of its own, I think. I would love to hear from other mamas in the same boat!

:smile:

ECmommy77 07-25-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker1219 (Post 17859097)
Is anyone else expecting a surprise baby?

I wasn't planning on having any more, and the timing is very very off...but I think after a little more time passes I'll be able to let it sink in more and start feeling excited. For now, it's only been two days since I found out and I'm still feeling a bit shocked! This requires a different thread of its own, I think. I would love to hear from other mamas in the same boat!

:smile:

Yes! This was a surprise for us too. We were on the fence about having anymore. DH was pretty much done, but I wasn't really sure. We were contemplating maybe trying in 2-3 yrs from now when our youngest was close the kinder. We had a bunch of plans for next year including a trip to HI which we are kind of bummed about and paying off some bills. Wish we had a few thing in line that made life so much easier when having DS2, but I guess life just had another plan for us. The initial shock has started to wear off and at 7 wks I am finally getting excited a bit! DH has been a little quieter about it, though. I sometimes feel a bit guilty like I let this happen even though we have talked about it and he knows it wasn't like some secret plan I had. Hopefully it will sink in over the next few weeks and you will get to enjoy your pregnancy with little stress and worry!

Rosemarino 07-26-2014 12:45 PM

Absolutely. I'm 36 and I was in complete denial for a week because a.) I hate being pregnant. I get physically hammered with out of control round ligament pain and huge varicose veins on my vulva that make it impossible for me to stand. I am so active normally that I'm having a hard time looking this reality in the face. b.) I have very long, difficult births. I'm not ruling out pain meds this time because of it. It makes me bitter! c.) I have colicky babies who scream 24/7 and no adequate support system. By scream, I mean high-pitched, non-stop, nursing doesn't help screaming. The lack of help from the medical field for this just bewilders me, although if there was a medical solution it probably would have been unearthed by now. They say "it only lasts 6 weeks" but that 6 weeks is hellacious and in my case, that needs to be corrected to 4 months. So yeah. Welcome! (ha, ha) I'm not really as miserable as I sound in this post; seeing the heartbeat yesterday was actually kind of exciting.

Sleepymama 07-26-2014 03:12 PM

I have colicky babies too. High needs screamers. Neither of them slept through the night until they were 6-7 years old. I am in denial that this will happen again. Lalalala.

I wish you both the best. We had a surprise pregnancy last year that I felt much the same way about. Our kids were older --10 and 7 at the time. And then I miscarried and we were both surprisingly devastated. It took a year for us to realize we did want another, and here I am, planned. But I know what you are feeling.

SummerL 07-27-2014 11:07 PM

TIming is very very VERY off here too. did I mention, VERY! I'm hesitant to say it was a surprise....its sort of weird. I only get 2-3 periods a year, and birth control didnt work for me because of high blood pressure and reactions. I had my second child, my son, almost 5 years ago, and we have not used any form of BC, or contraception of ANY sort since. We kind of went with the notion of I'm not terribly fertile and he pulled out most of the time (sorry if TMI). About 2 years ago we talked about having another, and werent sure we'd be able to...so we made a deal. If it happened great, if not fine too, and when I turned 30 regardless I would have my tubes tied and we'd be done. I just turned 28, and after actively trying for 2 ish years we just assumed it wasnt going to happen ever and were ok with that. Bad timing because I'm off work, and my husband's hours were cut but we are thinking things will be better in a month or two so it shouldnt be a big deal by the time this one comes. So, that was a long answer for yes this was a surprise, but not neccisarily unplanned I guess.

bshea2 07-29-2014 08:24 PM

Me! We had been talking about having another but I would have liked to wait a little longer. I am in my last year of school and this baby is due a few weeks before my very last semester ends. I am conflicted about what to do but I think I am just going to go for it and try and finish. It would be SO awesome to just be done and not have to put it off for another year or two. I am just worried about the logistics of finishing my last few weeks with an infant. I know I won't want to leave them, even if it is just for a couple of hours. I am hoping my professors will be understanding and we can make something work. Not the best timing for sure!

siggitysarah 08-04-2014 03:22 PM

I am! My step-daughter and DD are 4 years apart which I thought was great. I figured that would be a perfect time to start trying for another little one. DD just turned 1 at the end of June. Whoops. I recently moved to a different office for my job and gained much more responsibility, so I'm not looking forward to telling my employers. Will be telling the family this weekend. My step daughter knows and is very excited. She thinks it's a boy - but will be much less excited than if it is a girl. We are hoping for a boy as well but what will be will be! I'm not sure if the timing is ever right? 3/3 surprise pregnancies for my hubby, 2/2 for me! Oh, and natural family planning only works if you adhere to the rules. haha.

Lisa R. Nelson 08-04-2014 03:30 PM

Ummmmmm? Still in shock.

gabeyho 08-05-2014 12:23 AM

Sarah, let me tell you all about my experiences with NFP. Lol! It took us five kids to decide the rules were there for a reason. Then we did great for three years! Lol. NFP, it's all about motivation and the right method, right? ;-)

Carys3 08-07-2014 05:52 PM

This is a shock for us, too. Our kids are almost-11, 9, 7, and 5 years old. I've given away all of our baby stuff - including all of my cloth diapers and baby carriers!!! Ack! Starting over is going to be rough! But I'm actually really excited about this new little nugget and I'm really crossing my fingers that it sticks!

naturalmummy 08-13-2014 02:45 PM

In the same boat

I got the positive test this morning and sobbed on and off all morning. This will be #4 and I am feeling overwhelmed anxious and generally miserable. Life was just getting back to "normal" but now my next 2+ years are dreary. I am being very negative right now, and I apologize for that, as I know there are people who are TTC unsuccessfully. I know I will eventually get excited but right now all I feel is dread and am so nervous for my morning sickness to set in. With all 3 others I had 20 weeks of 24/7 brutal nausea. Ahhhh!!! I want to scream but I don't want to alarm the kids. Btw- my kids are only 5,3 and 18 months!
Hugs to all of u in the same boat

Carys3 08-14-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalmummy (Post 17917634)
I got the positive test this morning and sobbed on and off all morning. This will be #4 and I am feeling overwhelmed anxious and generally miserable. Life was just getting back to "normal" but now my next 2+ years are dreary. I am being very negative right now, and I apologize for that, as I know there are people who are TTC unsuccessfully. I know I will eventually get excited but right now all I feel is dread and am so nervous for my morning sickness to set in. With all 3 others I had 20 weeks of 24/7 brutal nausea. Ahhhh!!! I want to scream but I don't want to alarm the kids. Btw- my kids are only 5,3 and 18 months!
Hugs to all of u in the same boat

Big hugs!!! My first four are just under 6 years apart, so I know exactly where you are. I'll be honest, for me, going from two kids to three kids was WAYYYYYYY harder than going from three to four kids. Sounds crazy, I know, but once I hit that level of kid vs. me, #4 was so much easier than I expected. And because they're so close in age, he just picked up what they were doing and went with the flow of things. He's 5 now and he's one of the coolest easiest-going kids you would ever meet. You're hormonal, probably hyper-emotional, and worried about what's coming - and that's OK! Don't apologize for your feelings! And I agree that screaming might alarm the kids just a smidge :wink:

naturalmummy 08-14-2014 08:08 PM

Thank you Carys3, I really needed that today!

jackall77 08-14-2014 11:08 PM

I am in the same boat!! found out 2 weeks ago and I'm still in "this is really happening!!" mode! I'm calculating ins costs, space needed, etc. etc and it is overwhelming because we just got around to being sure that we were happy with three kids. I am happy because I love babies and love motherhood but I am worried because it's going to an added challenge for all of us.

Rosemarino 08-15-2014 07:57 PM

Ugh, I am so sorry! 20 weeks of nausea. Huge hugs. Yes, feel free to process your feelings. I hope it's like carys3 said!

Carys3 08-16-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalmummy (Post 17921810)
Thank you Carys3, I really needed that today!

I'm glad I could help! Please keep the dialogue open.