Mothering Forum banner

Buying/Gathering Baby Stuff

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Yaliina 
#1 ·
Tell me I'm not the only one who's already started going baby-shopping crazy. And this is NOT my first kid- I know we won't need very much "stuff" for this one. My whole "want" list I think has fewer than 10 items (if you count "clothes" and "diapers" each as 1). But I've been browsing Amazon's Baby Registry, GMD, and anywhere else that has fun-looking baby stuff to buy.

I thought it might be nice to have a spot to post about all the baby "stuff" we need/want/get/love/hate or would like advice about.

So, I bought a few cloth diaper covers this week. I know it's a bit early, but I was browsing GMD to take a break from studying, and I saw that they were having a sale of their flip diapers with Aplix. While I don't love the Aplix past the newborn stage, Flip diapers are pretty great, and these were almost 50% off, and going fast, so I bought 4. And then, they offered free shipping for spending $75, so I bought one Blueberry Mini cover & a wool cover I've had my eye on since DS2. >:D

Reactions: Rosemarino
#2 ·
I tried to buy something yesterday to beat back the fear of loss, went into the kid store and everything. Could not do it.

Did price baby buckets though. Holy cow when did those things get so expensive!!!! The last one I bought--which both kids used--was maybe $60 in 2002. These were all 160-200!!! I almost fell over.

#3 ·
What on earth is a "baby bucket" lol?

I have given away or sold most of the baby clothing. I have the cutest things from each kid. I no longer cloth diaper, but have all of the diapers. I had to let that go. I need another Moby wrap because I loved that and sold it. I still have our Ergo, but I'm not as crazy about it (though I do use it.)

The main things I am shopping for/looking for at this point are pregnancy related, and I have a list. I have already purchased the Gabrialla maternity support belt because I get crazy round ligament pain starting at around 4 months and I have read that the belt makes it so people with this issue can function. Eager to try it out (I mean, not eager for pain, but you know.)

Here's the other stuff on my list:

belly spanx (I need lots of support for the bump and this is less for vanity than for back issues)
maternity body pillow so I can freaking sleep
v2 supporter (I got insane vulvar varicosities (varicose veins on my hooey) with Iona and I could not even stand up. A midwife in my other DDC suggested this and said it really works and allows you to function, although it gives you a double butt)

#4 ·
I second the question about what the heck a baby bucket is. I can't even imagine- I'm dying to hear about it. ;)

I want a maternity pillow, too. I got such crappy sleep with my last one & I wonder if one of those would help.

My diaper covers came today!! :) They're so CUTE!! Especially the red wool pull-on cover & the Jungle print one. I've been contacting the lady I sold my diapers to when we decided not to have any more kids. I keep hoping she'll sell them back to me. But so far, I haven't heard back. :-/ It's gonna suck if I have to buy a whole new stash of diapers- means I won't get all the cute stuff I was hoping for, because I'll have to budget to get what is actual "need." And I had such a great stash, too. I'm going to blame DH, though, because I only sold the diapers to make him happy. He kept harping about how much room they were taking up. ;)

Fortunately, I gave my favorite hand-made mei tai to a good friend, and she said she's keeping all the stuff we gave her (a truckload- literally) & will return it, plus some extra stuff when she's done with it. Her babe is about to turn 1, so great timing there. I think I might buy a Boba carrier, and a Moby wrap with this one. I am also thinking of skipping the stroller. Or at least, maybe not getting an expensive stroller again. I really don't use them very much.

#6 ·
I've made my baby registries already other than baby clothes. The only things I've purchases so far are belly bands. My mom tried to buy us a stroller and car seat the other day but I told her to wait. I don't want to make any large purchases until after 12 weeks. My mom is having a hard time not buying stuff. I'd be ok with buying like neutral toned onsies or something but that's about it.

#7 ·
Planning to make all my diapers :)
Used to be a wahm back in the day. No you have probably never heard of me. But I make killer fitted diapers. Never got rid of my snap press either!! So many lovely fabrics available too :) bamboo velour mmmmm. I use wool soakers or wrap covers mostly. I do plan to buy some imse vinse wool wrap covers. I seem to remember those were my favorite. There is a lot more on the market now too. It's crazy.

#10 ·
Now that's hilarious. I've never seen one of those! I will probably just take this babe in the shower with me like I did the other two. A water sling will be useful all summer too I imagine.

Reactions: Rosemarino
#15 ·
I have made some awesome cd's of my own in the past, too. I always wanted to get a snap press, but then admitted I didn't really have the time I needed to realistically make that many diapers. I wasn't committed enough. I don't know if I even want to deal with that this time. I love the cloth on the newborns, but now I have a front loader machine and have heard awful things about cleaning the diapers in those.

#17 ·
My daughter's closet sort of makes me look like a hoarder because I kept EVERYTHING, as I was hoping to keep baby #2 super cheap. We shall see :)
@Sleepymama so many of the new(er) carseats are for 5 lbs and up that I am considering skipping the baby bucket seat and just going with a diono or something so I will only have to buy one carseat? They are pricey but maybe it levels out in that they last quite a long time.

#19 ·
I'm leaning that way too now. I wore both my kids and they hated the bucket like it was torture, but I was happy it could be removed from the car easily because we lived in the desert at the time and I was glad to keep the seat in the a/c in the summer and not have to strap them into a scalding hot seat. Now we live in the opposite climate-long below zero winters. But even if the baby is early it won't be that freezing in mid march I think. Still in the 20s but not sub zero so I think keeping a blanket on the convertible seat will be ok. If I'm going to spent $200 I don't want to do it twice especially since this is definitely the last baby.

#20 ·
I think we'll use my parent's bucket seat if they still have it from Iona. I don't want to buy another one, but I do like the transportability of it if the baby is asleep. Not that either have ever really stayed sleeping in them. I used to carpool a little girl to preschool with Pascal and she took to wearing noise canceling headphones for the car ride to tune out Iona's squealing.

#21 ·
Is anyone else doing the opposite, and purging? DD1 has SO MANY CLOTHES we saved, some of which I'm pretty sure she never wore. I went through and ditched any that were sad/stained/torn. Arguably I should have done so before we packed them up in the first place...

The nursery room closet is getting a major reorganization. I've been stalking The Container Store for their next elfa shelving sale.

On my wishlist for baby #2 upgrades: a lighter folding stroller, better swaddling blankets, and a baby monitor with video.

#22 ·
I wish I was doing this! I'm almost grown out of my bras and I can't even bring myself to buy new ones because I still have trouble believing this is really happening. Managing to get my head around the reality that I'm pregnant has been a huge enough undertaking - whenever I start thinking about planning for what happens AFTER the pregnancy, I get overwhelmed. I'm sure that once my body quiets down with all the first trimester symptoms I'll be able to take a deep breath and start preparing.

Nursery colors? Car seats? Man, if I manage to think about maternity pants in the next few weeks it will be a victory!

#23 ·
I was like you with my first, too. I didn't really get anything much except maternity clothes until about a month before he was born. With my daughter we found out the gender and I went nuts with clothing. It was completely absurd! I hope to sort of walk a middle path this time! I haven't gotten anything yet for the baby.

#24 ·
@MakeItSew, I did the purge between the other two- ditching anything that was too old/stained/torn, and pairing down to just the "good" stuff. But after DS2, we decided not to have any more, so we gave away or sold EVERYTHING baby, so now we're back to almost- square 1. I do have one small bag of baby stuff in the attic that I kept, but I'm pretty sure it isn't practical stuff so much as sentimental stuff.
@indiana, you shouldn't worry about getting stuff for the babe yet. It's really WAY early still. In some cultures, it's considered bad luck to buy anything for the baby before s/he is born. There's certainly no rush. Just do what you are comfortable with. I just like baby shoping, and it makes it seem a little more real in these early months, when you can't see/feel baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.