Mothering Forum banner

High BP, anyone have experience w/ meds

763 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Yaliina 
#1 ·
I Had pre-e in the past and was on metoporol while not pregnant but honestly I wasnt good about taking it (bad bad i know) So I havnt seen my OB yet, I see her on the 6th, my family doc says to take the metoporol but then i did a bunch of reading and it scared the CRAP out of me. I'm afraid to take it now. Should I wait to take it til I see and talk to the OB? or go ahead and take it til then (BP is up around 140/90)

I have high BP normally, so little chance of controlling it w/ diet and exercise alone I just want to know what i'm taking is ok. I wasnt on anything w/ my other two kids.

Animal studies have revealed decreased embryo and neonatal survival in rats at doses up to 22 times (on a mg/m2 basis) the daily dose of 200 mg in a 60 kg patient, although there was no evidence of impaired fertility or teratogenicity. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Metoprolol should only be given during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk. Metoprolol readily crosses the placenta. The maternal to fetal serum metoprolol concentration ratio is approximately 1:1. No teratogenic effects have been reported in human pregnancy. In a large study, the incidence of perinatal mortality was 2% of 57 hypertensive women who were treated with metoprolol alone, compared to 8% of 97 patients who were treated with hydralazine alone. No signs or symptoms of beta-blockade were noted in the fetuses or neonates. A case of a pregnant woman successfully treated with metoprolol for pheochromocytoma has been reported. Again, no signs or symptoms of beta-blockade were noted in the newborn. It is recommended that newborns who are exposed in utero to metoprolol should be carefully monitored for signs and symptoms of beta-blockade (bradycardia or hypotension) for at least 48 hours after birth. Incidentally, the plasma clearance (CL/F) of metoprolol is increased during pregnancy, averaging 362 mL/min/kg, compared to 82 mL/min/kg in the same patients postpartum.
help???

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't really have any advice to give, but I can give empathy. I am on atenolol; not for bp but to keep my heart from feeling like it's going to jump out of chest all the time. The warnings and such are basically the same, but the cardiologist says he gives it to prego moms all the time just for bp and has never seen any issues present.

#3 ·
I do! I have chronic hypertension. I have had borderline HBP for most of my adult life but my doc just decided to medicate me about a year ago. I tried some different meds (not pregnant or TTC)- hydrochlorothiazide, an ace inhibitor (gave me the dreaded cough) and then a calcium channel blocker which I was on until we started TTC and I switched to methyldopa. Well, my Bp actually gets better in pregnancy (both full term pregnancies started out high for the first tri and then got lower below my baseline of 135/85) so I stayed off meds. This time the methyldopa was making me so dizzy- I check my BP at home and it was 100/60 all the time. So my NP said to go off it and check my BP. It's textbook now--120/70 without meds so we are going to see how long that lasts.
I have no problem with taking the methyldopa but she said labetelol would be our next choice since it's not as sedating. I haven't gotten my high risk MFM's opinion yet though. First appt isn't for a couple weeks. Methyldopa is a cat B so I'd rather go with a small dose of that.
Good luck.

#4 ·
Just saw metoprolol is similar to labetelol. Both are beta blockers. Can you ask about methyldopa? (I think it's aldomet?) it's the only category B I think.

#5 ·
I don't have any experience with drugs during pregnancy, but I would suggest that you call your OB, even if your appointment isn't for a while. Just tell them your concern & have the nurse ask the doc. You shouldn't have to wait to figure out your meds. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.