Hypothyroidism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hypothyroidism

At my first prenatal visit last Friday they did all of the usual blood work. Everything came back normal except that I have a hypothyroid and they have prescribed Synthroid. I am an all-natural, organic-food-eating type of woman who is very skeptical about synthetic anything. I have heard of alternatives, like Armour, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with either drug and it's effect on your body (and baby!).

Any help would is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi I have never heard of that but I just wanted to tell you that I too am
Hypothyroid and I miscarried in may because of it. They put me on levothyroxine but it was already too late. This pregnancy is going well since I'm on the medication and its keepign my tsh levels at bay. My point is dont ignore this bc you are against medication or only want whats natural. My endocrinologist stressed to me that a baby cannot make it past ten weeks with tsh levels as high as mine were ( 5+). I was devestated when i miscarried and really mad at the drs for not treating my hypothyroidism back in 2013 when they first discovered it. Whatever medication you choose do it quick before its too late. Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Looking at the chemistry of Armour, I'm not sure the word "natural" really matters much here. It's still a very processed compound, it just happens to be derived from a natural source (generally pig thyroids). I think at this juncture finding something to manage your hormone levels effectively is more important than whether they're allowed to label it natural or not.

If you're interested in trying Armour, I would definitely find a doctor who is experienced with prescribing it. They are more likely to be well versed in the nuances between synthetic and dessicated medications. Because hypothyroidism is so closely associated with miscarriage, I wouldn't try to 'wing it' with a doctor who is really only experienced with Synthroid.

As for effects on baby... a friend of mine is pregnant and on Snythroid. So far so good, I'll let you know when the baby comes out.

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, dealing with recurrent miscarriage.

Last edited by MakeItSew; 08-06-2014 at 05:27 AM.
#4 of 4 Old 08-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dropping in from the April 2015 DDC ...I just started Synthroid since it seems I get all hypothyroid when I'm pregnant. My TSH was 5.5 so I'm taking 75ug a day. I hope the medication will make me feel better. Did you end up taking it, SmithBaby? If so, what dosage were you prescribed?

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page