Mothering Forum banner

Exercise!!

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Frioct3 
#1 ·
Ok ladies so who's with me on staying in shape this pregnancy? :grin: I was in the best shape of my life with our first and let myself off while pregnant because I really could not breathe during cardio. I ended up with some awful psoas pain for the last two years because of it. I've decided that isn't going to happen this time around.

Anyway, I like to run. I'm slow, but I've worked my way back up to five miles consistently and am actually going to run a 10k in September. I'm also keeping with a schedule of upper and lower body strength training (nothing heavy, think lower weight higher reps) and try and do at least 5-10 minutes of yoga a day if not more, which I probably need.

Got 3.25 miles in tonight and some upper body work and core...

Anyone with me? Let's keep each other motivated!

#2 ·
Yes! I've noticed a direct correlation between exercise and morning sickness. When I run regularly I feel SO MUCH BETTER.

I'm a slow runner as well. I'm doing my first 10k in september, but I got sidelined with plantar fasciitis so I've had to take my goal down from "sub 70 minutes" to "run 6 miles without pain." It's super frustrating.

I also do circus aerials, and have a performance at 18 weeks pregnant! So that will be interesting...

I told my trainer yesterday about the pregnancy. He's had pregnant clients before so it should be no big deal to keep on my current routine, with a few modifications as my balance starts to suck.

#4 ·
Yeah that's me! I've been doing it for about two years, and should be able to keep at it until I'm 6 or 7 months along. I'll just lower the complexity of the tricks as I get bigger (and no dramatic drops or dives).

Reactions: Mi_LuBelle
#5 ·
I will never go back

I'm with you. I started a weight loss program 6 months ago, clean eating, daily exercise and lost 60 lbs. I found out I was pregnant and gained 4 lbs when my eating and exercise was impeccable. So worried about this. I am going to continue with the clean eating - lean meats, fruits,veggies, healthy fats. I will continue exercising - daily. I will probably have to change programs at 20 weeks or so, because it's really core intense, but I plan to continue - definitely. I do not want to go back to what I was - never.

#19 ·
I'm with you. I started a weight loss program 6 months ago, clean eating, daily exercise and lost 60 lbs. I found out I was pregnant and gained 4 lbs when my eating and exercise was impeccable. So worried about this. I am going to continue with the clean eating - lean meats, fruits,veggies, healthy fats. I will continue exercising - daily. I will probably have to change programs at 20 weeks or so, because it's really core intense, but I plan to continue - definitely. I do not want to go back to what I was - never.
I really related to your post. I lost 80lbs this last year and feel like id die before ever returning to that weight.. im struggling due to morning sickess nearly all day and crap eating habbits. I despratly need help with getting back on track. Im so upset ive fallen so hard. Ive gained 15lbs and im only 9 weeks!!! This needs to stop and fast! Ugh.

#6 ·
Well let's keep each other going the. :) I mowed our lawn today, which doesn't sound like much, but our house is built into a hill... A large one at that, so I literally have to run up the hill pushing the lawn mower. It rocks. Then there's the pulling the 16' trampoline around... No weights cause I ran out of time, but felt good enough.

MakeItSew, there's some women at the gymnastics place I take my daughter to that teach classes using aerial silks and it always amazes me. You rock!

Lisa, just keep focused on things this way, once you get in shape and lose it is always easier for your body to get back there. We eat clean over here too and gluten free since my daughter is allergic and I'm relatively sensitive.

Rose, I had ligament and sciatica pain with my daughter and ended up with some serious psoas and piriformis issues after I had her. This time around I'm incorporating yoga lots and lots of yoga and Chiro care again.

#8 ·
I'm a runner as well. I have a 5k planned for September. Before getting pregnant I was hoping for a time under 25 minutes but I'm not sure I'll be able to manage that anymore! My last few runs have been painfully slow, I'm just way too tired to go any faster. I do feel great afterwards though :)

#9 ·
It's so frustrating, right? I went on a run that felt like about an 11 minute pace which for me is "quick but not too challenging." Checked my time after the run: 12:45 pace! I was so bummed.

#11 ·
Alright @Lisa R. Nelson - looking amazing! You are inspiring.

I am going to get back in the groove this week. I am feeling adjusted to my new energy levels and nausea to a point where I think I can begin my lap swimming routine again. I am still seriously missing mountain biking and commuting to work by bike, which the MD said not to do. They basically prohibited anything but walking, yoga BUT only with an instructor trained in prenatal yoga, and swimming (I decided to throw caution to the wind and kayak last week-- how could that hurt anything?). I am not sure if it has to do with the blood thinners I'm on and I might ask next time I go. I feel so squishy after a month of little activity and I am ready to begin moving again.

#13 ·
Do you have a medical condition that causes your doctor to be so cautious? I can see mountain biking being a bad idea but I am regularly ridingy bike on paved paths with my toddler and can't see what the issue would be with that.

I'm also still playing beach volleyball once a week so I realise my comfort level with activities may be different than others! :)

#12 ·
I have a friend that is going to come on my lunch break 3 days a week to do Yoga. I have definitely lost some of my exercise habits since the birth of my first. Looking forward to doing some great resistance band training as well as a great squat routine. It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one that has slacked a little. Back to it!:grin:

#14 ·
@Frioct3 Kind of - I am on blood thinners so I can see a traumatic injury being more traumatic. Mountain biking can result in collisions and bike commuting has those unexpected driver errors that can result in trauma so I can see the issue with that. The activities they said were ok have such a low possibility of impact/trauma so I think that's their thinking behind it, but I didn't check to be sure.

#15 ·
For me, the worst part isn't about being pregnant, I handle myself with eating right and exercise while pregnant. It's what happens after :eek:. That's when I gain my weight. That's when I become very very unhealthy.

Not this time. Cardio fix this morning. That includes cross jumps, high knees, cross crountry skiers, mountain climbers, burpees, and these up and down thingies on your forarms in push up position. Way I figure, I better work hard before my belly gets big, cause it will be all about PiYo (pilates/yoga) combination.

For me, the sick feeling doesn't come until later in the day (thankfully). I get up, eat half a banana - and that seems to be okay for my 30 minute workout. Let's hope it holds true today.

#16 ·
I get the sickies later in the day too, Lisa. The other day I was going to an evening Zumba class and was feeling disgusting and figured I probably wouldn't make it, but the class actually took care of it for me and gave me tremendous energy. Of course, I missed Zumba this morning because I forgot about it. Oops.

#18 ·
THIS is what i just wrote in a pregnancy running group because i have been feeling terrible.... i really needed to read this post just now..

"Im stuck in a terrible cycle right now... please help me... I was running regularly before I was pregnant.. I hurt my knee and was trying to recover from it... during found out I was pregnant... I am not 9 weeks and STILL have not started back running.. Not to mention I have gain 15 lbs!! and I eat like crap.. mostly because I am in the middle of kitchen renos and its very hard to make meals and so on. We have been eating out a lot. Also I feel sick pretty much all day everyday and have hardly any energy. :( I want SO badly to get back out start running and eating better and stop gaining weight. .. but every time I say I'll start tomorrow... it just seems impossible come the time to actually do it. :( Any tips?? Ideas?? Anyone in the same boat?? How can I just get back on track? :( Feeling terrible.."

#21 ·
I feel I can relate to a lot of you. For the past month I've been eating refined carbs and fruit every hour to manage the morning sickness. I used to work out 4 days a week (30 mins strength circuit and 30 mins of cardio sometimes) and now just get a couple blocks walked before feeling winded and tired. I recently lost 17lbs as a goal before we tried to conceive. I'm naturally an anxious person so I've been worrying about completely stopping the workouts. This is my first pregnancy. I am soooo looking forward to the second Tri when women say the nausea wanes and energy returns. For the more experienced moms did you get back to normal workouts in second Tri? How long did it take?

#22 ·
@PortlandRose I have been working out regardless. Although, I can't do doubles yet. I do 30 minutes a day everyday, and every 3rd week, I do 2-30 minute workouts. Well, it's the 3rd week and I did a double yesterday and really really wanted to do a double today - but my body wasn't allowing me.

I find that it helps just to do it all the way through that way you stay on the same routine. IF necessary, just cut it down to only 1-30 minute workout and alternate until you get enough energy back to go back to your 2-30 minute workouts. No shame in that.

Are you guys still working out?

#23 ·
Yoga and dance! Usually do a yin/restorative yoga class everyday and there are prenatal yoga classes at the rec center I go to. There are also weekly ecstatic dance meet ups in town where bebe and i can wiggle as freely as we choose! I like walking also, small hikes by the river are so healing. The negative ions of the flowing water are wonderous!

:flowersforyou

#26 ·
I can't even imagine doing Zumba right now, and I think all of you who have kept up some sort of real exercise routine through the first trimester are amazing. You give me something to aspire to!

I've been going on leisurely walks every day - one 15 minute walk at work with a nice break in the middle to take in the sun and the river view (...sometimes I even lay down on a bench by the river), and then one 30 minute walk in the evening. The only time I've felt my heart rate get up to anything that feels remotely athletic is when I have to go up a hill that didn't even look like a hill until I was walking up it. There are a couple actual hills, too. But I take them slowly. Anything more active than that and my blood sugar tanks.

Today I felt like actually exercising for the first time. It started when I had to take a "walk" through my house because it is so hot and muggy outside tonight. I was bored and feeling pretty good, so I picked up my little 3 lb weights and started doing some easy arm stuff as I paced back and forth. Then I started doing some gentle ab stuff. Then I did a few squats. Then some calf lifts, all as I walked. My heart rate went up, my muscles felt like they were working for the first time in months, and it felt SO GOOD. I could feel the endorphins kicking in, which is a feeling I haven't had for a long time, now.

It was kind of a weird exercise session, but I'll take it. It felt good to remember that my body can do things besides feel like crap (and build a baby, yeah, yeah).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.