Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   March 2015 Due Date Club (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17602-march-2015-due-date-club/)
-   -   car seats (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17602-march-2015-due-date-club/1438322-car-seats.html)

SummerL 08-02-2014 09:11 PM

car seats

I'm like 10 steps ahead of myself, I know. But It's been 5 years since I had a newborn. I used to keep up with carseats, ratings, safety etc. but after i bought our last seat and havnt had to think about it for a while I havnt. Whats the latest on infant seats. What do you choose? I will be looking for something rated well, but also affordable.

Sleepymama 08-03-2014 08:05 AM

It's been 8 years for me. All I know is they are so much more expansive now it's insane!!! The chicco key fit has good rating but it's $180-200. Oy.

teamviddy 08-03-2014 08:42 AM

We have one of those fully convertable Diono seats since we are short term foster parents. We haven't decided if we'll be fostering around the time baby comes but I have heard that the Diono seats aren't that great for newborns anyway. Not sure what we'll do.

Yaliina 08-03-2014 03:12 PM

My favorite one right now (online and in reviews) is the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 with tinyfit. It doesn't do the bucket seat thing- but it's one of the very few convertibles that is actually rated for newborns, and converts all the way up. It's pricey ($290 on Amazon), but since it's the only one you'll have to buy, I think it's worth it. I found a really great review of it on Crash Test Mom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgCNDxXuhNI which is honest and thorough. I wish it came in more colors, though.

Sleepymama 08-04-2014 01:11 PM

So britax seats not the top of the charts anymore? Those were the shiz when my kids were little.
I like the chicco nextfit. It looks super easy to install. And if these things cost $300 I am not buying one for DH's car too. I need to be able to swap it out and put it in his car easily. Unfortunately my car is a manual and DH can't drive it so he can't just take my car. Teaching him is on my list, but divorcing him is not on my list, so it should wait until I am not under pregnancy hormones. Or postpartum ones. Or ever, maybe lol.

Yaliina 08-06-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepymama (Post 17889026)
So britax seats not the top of the charts anymore? Those were the shiz when my kids were little.
I like the chicco nextfit. It looks super easy to install. And if these things cost $300 I am not buying one for DH's car too. I need to be able to swap it out and put it in his car easily. Unfortunately my car is a manual and DH can't drive it so he can't just take my car. Teaching him is on my list, but divorcing him is not on my list, so it should wait until I am not under pregnancy hormones. Or postpartum ones. Or ever, maybe lol.

:rotflmao
You could get one with a base that you could just buy the extra base. They're usually like $30 or so, aren't they?

luckiest 08-06-2014 06:38 PM

So, I admittedly go a little nuts researching things, especially car seats. We won't be buying much of anything for this babe, so I'm willing to pony up for a really good seat. Anyhow, I found one that I think looks amazing, the Cybex Aton Q.

The big pros for me are the safety features - it has a "load leg" that goes from the base to the floor board of the car, so it absorbs energy in a frontal crash (the Nuna Pipa also has a load leg). It also has telescoping arms that absorb energy in a side impact crash (American brands are apparently behind in side impact technology). And it's designed so infants lie almost totally flat so they aren't scrunched up and reducing lung capacity. Then as you raise the harness the angle a adjusts to give more incline.

I guess it must be popular; the online retailers are all sold out of it now. I'll probably buy it as soon as it's available again so I can let it off-gas over the next seven months. It's $350, which is not too insane I don't think.

Yaliina 08-06-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckiest (Post 17897090)
So, I admittedly go a little nuts researching things, especially car seats. We won't be buying much of anything for this babe, so I'm willing to pony up for a really good seat. Anyhow, I found one that I think looks amazing, the Cybex Aton Q.

The big pros for me are the safety features - it has a "load leg" that goes from the base to the floor board of the car, so it absorbs energy in a frontal crash (the Nuna Pipa also has a load leg). It also has telescoping arms that absorb energy in a side impact crash (American brands are apparently behind in side impact technology). And it's designed so infants lie almost totally flat so they aren't scrunched up and reducing lung capacity. Then as you raise the harness the angle a adjusts to give more incline.

I guess it must be popular; the online retailers are all sold out of it now. I'll probably buy it as soon as it's available again so I can let it off-gas over the next seven months. It's $350, which is not too insane I don't think.

That's a great-looking seat! I'd be completely sold if it were a convertible. For me, I really just can't see spending that much on a seat that will only last a few months. But if I were in the market for a bucket seat, I think that would be the clear winner. I LOVE the telescoping impact-absorbers!! :)

luckiest 08-07-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaliina (Post 17897658)
That's a great-looking seat! I'd be completely sold if it were a convertible. For me, I really just can't see spending that much on a seat that will only last a few months. But if I were in the market for a bucket seat, I think that would be the clear winner. I LOVE the telescoping impact-absorbers!! :)

I'd been on the fence about skipping the bucket as well. I think I'm going to replace DS's Britax Marathon with one of the new Radians (the Pacifica or Rainier) because he can undo the chest clip on his own and it's become a problem. Anyway, I thought about just getting two and putting this babe straight in the convertible. The 35lb weight limits on a lot of the new buckets has me leaning toward going ahead with the infant seat though, since it seems like we'd use it for longer. I'm pretty sure most of them maxed out at 20lbs when DS was a baby. His did, anyway.

Yaliina 08-08-2014 03:24 PM

I keep going back and looking at that Cybex seat. I want it. But I want the diapers I'll be able to buy with the extra money we'd have to spend on a second seat within a year, too. We had the Chico Keyfit30 for DS2, and although he wasn't heavy, he outgrew the height around 6-8 months, and was uncomfy in it. So we bought a convertible & he's still in that (at 4 years). If you find a convertible with similar features to that Cybex, let us know. I'm keeping my eye out. I still like the Maxi Cosi the best of them, but I'm still looking.

luckiest 08-09-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaliina (Post 17903602)
I keep going back and looking at that Cybex seat. I want it. But I want the diapers I'll be able to buy with the extra money we'd have to spend on a second seat within a year, too. We had the Chico Keyfit30 for DS2, and although he wasn't heavy, he outgrew the height around 6-8 months, and was uncomfy in it. So we bought a convertible & he's still in that (at 4 years). If you find a convertible with similar features to that Cybex, let us know. I'm keeping my eye out. I still like the Maxi Cosi the best of them, but I'm still looking.

The only convertible I've seen that seems to have extra crazy safety features, is the Clek Foonf, but it is prohibitively expensive and also not rated for newborns, so you'd still need a bucket. I've looked at it a lot and honestly don't see what the fuss is about, or what justifies the price tag ($400 I think). Plus I felt it in a store and it has virtually zero padding - it's just like a thin cover over the EPS foam. Tall base would be good for extended rear facing, I guess...

One that I think is worth looking at is either of the two new Dionos (Pacifica or rainier). The don't expire for like 12 years (8 for the harness I think, four more used as a booster), has a high RF weight limit, can fit three across, rated for infants, and the new ones, particularly the Rainier, have new side impact protection features. I think the head wings is really all that differentiates the two. I can't find the review I originally read...they're brand new seats so I'd wait to see what consumer reviews look like, but they look promising.