nausea remedies that WORK - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
nausea remedies that WORK

Since nausea has been such a persistent feature of my pregnancy so far, I've collected a lot of remedies. I thought we could start a thread with the remedies that have actually worked for us. That way we can share and find it all in one place!

By "work," I don't mean cure or magically remove all discomfort, but the things that take the edge off or give temporary relief. Of course, if you have a cure, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it!

Here are mine:

1. Acupuncture. It doesn't always last, but I'll take the 2 or 3 good days it gives me each time.

2. Sea bands. They seem to take the edge off. I used to wear them all the time except for when I was sleeping. Now I put them on when I feel the slightest wave of nausea coming on.

3. Qigong that focuses on the liver, spleen, and gallbladder. When I can bring myself to get up and do the movements, I almost always feel better. There's a really excellent series of videos and tutorials here: http://longwhitecloudqigong.com/onli...ion-practices/ To focus on a specific organ, I just do more repetitions of the movement that targets its meridian. I have found that it's not helpful in the midst of a blood sugar crash (duh, what was I thinking??), but it's really good as a preventative or on a general nausea day.

4. Eating all the time. Sometimes hourly. I have to eat small meals that focus on complex carbs and protein. I have more gas and bloating this way, not to mention loose stools, but it keeps the nausea way down.

5. Recognizing nausea as a sign of hunger/low blood sugar and eating as soon as the first sign of queasiness shows up.

6. Being adequately hydrated, but never in dramatic gulps.

7. Ginger chews. My favorite brand is Reed's, except for how the paper sticks to the candy. If you think you can't handle these, try eating them in tiny bites. They are REALLY gummy and it can be too much if you're not crazy about the taste. But they are like magic once they hit your tummy.

8. There's this qigong pose that works really well for acute nausea. It's just a low squat against a wall. Put your back to the wall and let your body slide down with your feet flat on the floor until your butt is almost touching the ground (it may even touch the ground) in a deep squat. You can keep your head resting against the wall. Stay there and breathe evenly (not deeply if you can't) and relax until the wave subsides. It's amazing. The world really should know.

9. Staying completely away from refined carbs like white flour and sugar. Not using much sweetener or even overdoing fruit. It causes a blood sugar crash later.

10. Meditation. There's a really good meditation here, if you can get past the other lady's really loud voice. Be careful, because at the end of the meditation, as soon as she says, "How do you feel?" the other lady will start talking really loud and kill your relaxation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7dy32P3J6w

11. Taking a slow walk outside. With a snack. Especially where you can see the color green.

12. Distractions, but don't overdo it. A little distraction, especially something that makes me feel happy or light, is really helpful. Sometimes I even dance really slowly and smoothly (no bouncing!). I love talking to my pet turtle. Little distractions like that help a lot.

13. Rest. Along the lines of not overdoing it, sometimes distraction and activity help, but sometimes they're exhausting. I've slept on the floor of my office before and have been so glad I did it.

14. British television, solitaire, Yahtzee. They are the perfect amount of distraction without being all in your face about it.

15. I almost forgot B6! I take 20-25mg each day. It takes the edge off big time.

Now I want to hear yours!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My remedy is the 2nd trimester.
Your list is great! I have tried b6 and I think it helps. I have nothing else to add, but thank you for this informative post.
#3 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree with your list. But I would add that I squeeze a half a lemon into my water bottle and that helps tremendously. Huge difference. Oh, and mint gum.
#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have found that if I don't eat high fat laden foods, I'm good. Once I eat even just a nip of fatty foods or cheese, the nausea comes on.

Maybe it's just me though.

Homeschooling, homebirthing mom to 3 (10, 5 and 2). Fourth expected in late March (yeah right, I carry forever). Probably mid-April!
#5 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My magic cure all: Beans and other legumes! Seriously- I'll link to this article a friend shared with me on the science behind it. It's changed my world! Basically, our high hcg levels also raise our bile levels, causing the nausea. Then our poor livers can't process all of the bile, so progressively, there's even more of it. Makes sense, since most of us, the nausea usually gets worse before it gets better. The only foods that bind completely with bile so that our bodies can process them completely and get them out of us are beans and legumes!

After feeling like poop for a few weeks, then reading this, I went on a bean kick and haven't looked back. I started the first day with beans for breakfast and lunch and by the end of that day, I was feeling a million times better. About a week into my bean kick, I took two days back and my nausea slowly crept back in. So, back to beans for me! Today I made a yummy kale, bean, and sausage soup. So delish!

Here's the article: http://karenhurd.com/pages/healthtop...gsickness.html

Hope this helps! With adding more beans, I've been cutting the crap out- mainly white sugar and not good for you snacks. I feel alive again!

Natalie, doula lady & wife to A, mama & teacher to DD (4/07), DD (10/09), DS (12/12), & Surprise babe (3/15)
*~~*~*~Love eachother!!~*~*~~*
  Diabetes Sucks     
#6 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also, @rosa marino, the article explains that eating fatty foods will cause the further release of bile, making you feel sicker. You're onto something there!

Natalie, doula lady & wife to A, mama & teacher to DD (4/07), DD (10/09), DS (12/12), & Surprise babe (3/15)
*~~*~*~Love eachother!!~*~*~~*
  Diabetes Sucks     
#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I can't imagine eating anything fried or super heavy in fat, but I have found that good fats (in smallish quantities) go down really well and can ease tummy upset. I think it's because, along with fiber, fat slows down carbohydrate digestion and keeps me from crashing too quickly.

Beans are a tough one for me. They don't (generally) upset my stomach - although black beans sometimes do - but they do contribute to incredible bloating and gassiness since I've been pregnant. Beans have always bloated me a little, even if soaked and sprouted, but it's way worse now. Sometimes it gets so bad that the bloating will contribute to nausea, which I think is from abdominal pressure. So while they do really hit the spot and are a great source of protein, I have to be careful not to overdo it.

Oh, tofu and tempeh (controversial, I know) don't bloat me that much.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page