Working Moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Working Moms

I just told my bosses today that I am pregnant, and it went much better than I expected. Not that they were not extremely supportive with my first, but it always makes me nervous!

Anyhow . . . I have a few questions for you working moms:

How long are you taking off after your baby is born?
Have you told your employers and how did they take it?
Any tips for keeping supply up when pumping?

Any other experiences and recommendations about working with 2 little ones welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'll have 9.5 or 8.5 weeks of PTO and extended illness built up by mid-March, depending on whether we decide to take a week vacation in December. Not sure yet if I will keep my leave limited to the time I'll be paid, or if I will just take a few weeks unpaid so I can spend the full amount of time with baby. I am talking to my HR department now about picking up more hours so I will accumulate more PTO, but it's been a few days and I haven't heard back about whether the department that's shorthanded will take my help... And I don't plan to tell HR until the week after next, around 13 weeks.
I'm fairly worried about my boss. I like my job and my boss is very competent but kind of harsh. When I started my job I replaced someone who just came off of FMLA for surgery, and my boss "restructured" her job as soon as she returned, and she was let go. I have my ear to the ground for any concrete indicators of my competence at my job so I can record them but there's so much that can happen in six months, and even if I keep my nose super clean during my pregnancy I'm afraid she'll think of a reason to let me go that would pass legal muster.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
That really sucks, @teamviddy ! Not much worse than an unsupportive working environment.

I only work part-time, and plan to continue that at some point after the baby is born, but I don't know exactly when. With my first, I was only working 2 hours each day, and was able to work it out so DH took long lunches & kept DS during those hours, so I only stayed out 6 weeks. I went full-time, then, when DS was around 2 years (different job). Then, when I got pregnant with DS2, I told my supervisor right away, because she was super-supportive, and I planned to work up until the birth and then quit. My supervisor and our office manager were wonderful, and we worked it out so that they knew, so they could plan ahead (looking for my replacement), but we didn't tell HR, because I wanted to take all of my sick leave and vacation, which I couldn't have done had I resigned. So, technically, I resigned at the end of my FMLA/sick time. I just post-dated the letter, and gave it to the office manager to hold on to. I'm still working there, actually. I started back just PRN, filling in when someone went on vacation or got sick when DS2 was 8 months or so, and now I'm p/t, working 2-3 days a week (alternating). I already told the office manager and my colleagues about this one, and that I'll probably be out for a good while after the birth. DH & I are trying to plan, financially, for an extended leave for me. I really have respect for those of you who can pump, because I never could. So, probably at least 6 months out.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#4 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I had the option not to go back. With my DD I quit and than when my DD was 10 months old my job hired me back 3 days a week. We lived in an area that had a much lower cost of living so even though it was TIGHT we were able to swing 10 months. Now I am basically the one who financially supports us and I am trying to figure out how to swing longer than 6 weeks because that is just NOT long enough. I am also hoping to go down to 3 days a week rather than the 4 I am doing now (10+ hour rotating shifts), and maybe set days so the new little one doesn't increase my child care expenses TOO much and can be with her daddy?!

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

#5 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I hope that works out for you, LexiDrewMama. It's so hard to go back to work with a wee one. I really feel for moms who have to do that. I'm so lucky that we are in a position that allows me to stay home for an extended time. Of course, Ill be paying off my student loans for the next 30 years, and we won't be eating out, and will probably have to cancel cable, and who knows what else, but it' totally worth it. Then I can go back part-time again, and we'll be back to having a little money. At least, that's the plan.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page