Mothering Forum banner

2nd Trimester Moms?

3K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  PortlandRose 
#1 ·
This is my first day of the 2nd trimester. I've been feeling it for three days, and all I can say is ahhhh. Are you there yet or almost? How are you feeling?

#4 ·
I'm debating when to call myself second trimester. I think I've settled on 14 weeks, but really, who knows. In any case, I'm only a few days behind you, rosemarino, so if you're calling it, then I'm at least going to say that I'm "in transition."

And so far here's what I've got. My husband is cooking lentil soup with tomatoes and onions and vegetable broth and cumin, all of which would have made me run out of the house to avoid puking a few weeks ago.

Today, even though I can't eat it (food sensitivities - it never occurred to him that he could possibly be cooking for two tonight, so he put stuff in that I can't eat pregnant or not), it smells good. Like it's making me hungry.

I'm by no means out of the nausea woods yet, and I'm still exhausted and gross, but something smells good. So does the bread baking, which smelled like death even a week ago.

Progress, I think! Come on, second trimester!!

(P.S. I still could only think of one thing I wanted to eat tonight, and when I found out we were out of it I actually started crying and curled up into the fetal position before I could think of something else. So, let's not light any fireworks and break out the champagne just yet.)

#11 ·
I always thought it was week twelve, but now everything is telling me week 14, so I thought I was just remembering wrong. Glad I'm not the only one. Did they change it on us then? I'll call it second trimester for me then, at 13.5 weeks. Either way, I'm still not seeing any differences in my life yet, and found out I'm maybe son tired because my iron is a little low. I hope I see a difference in a couple days after floradix.

#9 ·
Yay for the second trimester!. Ive been feeling super great lately. I worked out three times last week (zumba and yoga) and I was actually smiling and happy during the classes rather than dreading every second, yawning and clock watching the whole time like normal. Lol! I call that progress. Since I miscarried in May and then got pregnant two weeks later I have basically been in my first trimester since february. Wow am I glad to be out of it. Woot woot! We move in 11 days and I cant wait to finally get settled in somewhere.

#10 ·
Yay, it sounds like there's hope after all! :wink:

It's great to hear from everyone. I'm still at least a week away (unless 14 weeks in second trimester? Then it's more than that) and still feeling generally not amazing. But, it passes, and I'm finally starting to look pregnant, not just heavier, which I know is a shallow little thing, but it makes me feel a bit better.

#13 ·
Lol. The Bump says week 14 Whatevs. I'm 14 weeks today! I'm feeling a lot more energy the last couple days, especially yesterday I was on fire! But I am contributing that to the floradix; magic, magic stuff.

#17 ·
Why am I just starting to throw up during the second trimester? UGH UGH UGH
Up last night throwing up my dinner. It's too far away from the last time I threw up (Thursday night) for it to be the same virus, I think. I've been feeling normal-ish.
Oh, and gotta get me some Floradix now! Headed to NH to visit my parents with the kids today so I will pick some up tax free.

#18 · (Edited)
@Rosemarino I hope you are feeling better by now. Eeek. Sometimes, the virus will inflame your stomach and make you throw up randomly for a few days - if you don't eat very carefully. The Norovirus is famous for it. I'm sure you are back on track now.

Will I ever get to the second trimester? Really? Every time I came and lurk, the second trimester gets further and further away. I'm like, really? 14 weeks? 3 more weeks of 1st trimester hell.

If i come back and someone has changed it to 16 weeks, I'm just gonna spew.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

#19 ·
Yeah, feeling much better--thank you. The Floradix has rescued my life from the couch. It's funny because I tested high (good high) for iron at the beginning but stopped taking my supplement. Can iron dip that quickly? Anyway, I feel like I have my life back. But I know what you mean, Lisa. 3 weeks feel like an eternity.

#20 ·
Rosemarino, it's good to know that you tested normal for iron. I did too, so I was thinking it must be something else (like...being pregnant) that was wearing me out so thoroughly. Maybe I will pick up some Floradix next time I manage to get out of rural world. Whatever it is, I'm so glad you're feeling better!

I just wanted to report that this weekend I finally had real moments of planning for this baby. Imagining names, trying to figure out if we could cloth diaper with our mega-hard water, cooing over knitting patterns. I still don't feel great - well, now it comes and goes - but I think that being able to think past my stomach gunk must be a sign that the second trimester actually means something!

#21 ·
I had two great days with bad evenings, and then last night something fired up my IBS on top of everything else. I laid there and massaged by belly and realized again that once the baby gets bigger, it will be almost impossible for me to reduce IBS pain, since massage and heat are the only things that work for me. Last night it fired off because I was so incredibly bloated. Just unreasonably, obscenely bloated to the point of the pressure nearly forcing the contents of my stomach upward. Today I woke up not fully restored and had to be at work on time for a meeting. So today I'm miserable. What a roller coaster.

I think I need to have a conversation with my placenta about moderation.

#22 ·
I don't know if we're posting symptom updates here or on the symptoms thread these days (or if I'm the only one doing it!), but I've got a couple!

1. My first leg cramp! Holy cow! It happened when I stretched in bed when I woke up this morning. Note to self: don't stretch with your toes pointed! It hurt so bad and so suddenly that I grimaced and held my breath and stiffened my whole body, and then I thought, "Wait! I could use this as contraction practice!" So I relaxed myself and took deep breaths and calmed down and reminded myself that I was OK. That helped a lot, and then I was able to work out the cramp with gentle leg and toe movements.

2. This happened last night (I was extra exhausted and stressed yesterday and didn't even get home from work until 10:30, and I was too keyed up and stressed to fall asleep before midnight): I woke up in the middle of the night super mega queasy. I don't know if I had been laying on my back or if I overheated (it felt kind of like that) or if I needed to poop (sometimes the added pressure down there makes me feel a little off all over). Or all three! Whatever it was, it sucked. I hope it's not because I rolled onto my back, because I do that a LOT. If it is that, I hope my body learns not to.

#23 ·
Sorry you're experiencing leg cramps already, indiana, but glad you thought to use it as contraction practice. That's a great idea. Also, try eating some mustard (straight-up, any kind) if you have a bad cramp. The Terragon in it (apparently) works like magic to disperse the cramp.

As for the nausea, I hope it was a fluke.

#24 ·
@indiana the leg cramp could very well be a nutrient deficiency. Up your sodium, potassium or Magnesium. I think deficiencies in these nutrients do cause cramps.

Just a thought.

I also always end up on my back, but I don't get queasy - I wake up with a very very very sore back. It's like it's getting numb. Why do I roll onto my back?

Lately I have been experiencing numbness in my hands and sometimes feet. I remember from last time it's due to the different blood flow. It's happened to me in all pregnancies - around this time. Does this happen to anyone else?

#25 ·
I think it is a magnesium deficiency. I bought magnesium oil to help calm down my restless leg syndrome, which has been a million times worse since pregnancy, and it has helped a LOT. The day I got the cramp, I had skipped it for three days in a row. I've tried to be vigilant ever since!

So your back gets numb when you're on your back...my hips get numb when I'm on my side! When I lay on my side, they tingle, then go numb, then start hurting. I have always been a side sleeper and it has never been an issue, but as soon as my uterus started growing, I started getting the numbness when I laid down. Problem is, the rest of my body is so much more comfortable on my side. Oh well. No hand or foot numbness, yet. If you don't count the 20-degree weather.

Oh, speaking of side sleeping, I'm amazed at how much more transparent my physiology has become since getting pregnant. Like you know how the stomach leans to the left? I never would have cared about that until now. But these days, when I roll onto my right side, I get reflux. When I stay on my left, I don't. Because there's more room for the food that way, I guess! Bodies!

#26 ·
One of those big pregnancy pillows helps keep me from rolling on my back. It's a space hog, but having a pillow between my knees keeps my hips from hurting and the part behind my back keeps me from rolling on it. I still try to roll but the pillow keeps me propped so I'm not totally supine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.