Anyone over 40? Are you "High Risk?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 09-25-2014, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone over 40? Are you "High Risk?"

I realize that I am probably one of the more elderly members - and won't be surprised if I don't get any comments. But that's okay too.

I have learned a lot about being pregnant at 40. I have learned why I am high risk and it's certainly not for medical reasons.

Yes, I would agree, that I am at higher risk for sprouting a gray hair or two during pregnancy (which I have yet to do), but more importantly, I am at very high risk for being intolerant to morning sickness and the pangs of pregnancy. I am also very high risk for being grumpy at the continued nausea, and just in general, a preggo crankanker.

How about you? Are you at higher risk?

Homeschooling, homebirthing mom to 3 (10, 5 and 2). Fourth expected in late March (yeah right, I carry forever). Probably mid-April!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, I'm not over 40 yet, but I'll be 36 when this baby is born, and I completely agree with you. It definitely gets much harder as we age. I was 19 when I got pregnant with my first, and this is my 4th, so I've experienced pregnancy throughout my childbearing years, and I've learned that it gets harder the older I get.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hilarious, Lisa. If that's high risk, I'm right there with you. I'll be 37 in November. I'm still coping with the fact that I did not want another baby ever, so Im at high risk for negative thinking. Usually round ligament pain afflicts me right at this point, but so far so good with that. IF I can just avoid the vulvar varicose veins I think I'll survive.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I hope it's ok for me to jump into your forum (I come from the April DDC) ... but I found this an interesting thread.

I'm not over 40, in fact, I'm just a tad over 30 ... 31 to be precise, but I'm definitely high risk in that I have horrible anxiety issues that have been exacerbated by the pregnancy (just a few months before falling pregnant with this one, I had a missed miscarriage right at the end of the first trimester)... And the fact I'm sick at the moment (mild fever, painful body, chills) is definitely not helping either ... grrr. Where is the zombie smilie.

I think the OP's point was that the age definitely doesn't make anyone automatically 'high-risk,' that's ridiculous to claim. I'm still 'young,' yet I'm having psychological issues that make it super hard for me to relax and actually enjoy this pregnancy ... and I'm constantly worried about ... well, everything, haha.

Btw, I already have a few gray hairs ... not that it bothers me or really means anything, haha.

I just really want both my baby and myself to come out of this unscathed, haha. And the age thing? Ah, who cares ...

Proud mommy to our stellar Stella (3/2011). Cautiously expecting our in April 2015 after loosing a sweet little angel in April 2014.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

@rose , I think we are very similar in that I was also done. I was getting my sexy on, and I was ready to move on with my life from diapers, being pregnant, having toddlers - and here i am starting over - again. Everyday, my sexy and all my hard work feels like it's slowly drifting further away. My weight loss (already a very long and grueling process) has been put back by a year.

Pregnancy for me is never easy. It's not like I am riddled with complications - but I have to take very very careful of my health. Moreover, it's very mental process - especially this time around. I have to start the endless number of supplements, potions, concoctions, etc. With just me, my health is great - but when the baby enters into the scenario - my body goes into shock. It's like it says: Oh no, now I have to take care of two people. I'm overwhelmed.

Sigh.

Then, doing burpees during morning sickness. When your growing and everything is out of whack- is not always easy to dredge up the motivation and energy. It's not easy to exercise each and everyday.

Alas, it has to be done - and it's not forever. In 7 months, I won't be pregnant anymore, I will be back to my old self, exercising easier, and crying because I miss having my little companion. It's always the same.

Homeschooling, homebirthing mom to 3 (10, 5 and 2). Fourth expected in late March (yeah right, I carry forever). Probably mid-April!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelmina View Post
I hope it's ok for me to jump into your forum (I come from the April DDC) ... but I found this an interesting thread.

I'm not over 40, in fact, I'm just a tad over 30 ... 31 to be precise, but I'm definitely high risk in that I have horrible anxiety issues that have been exacerbated by the pregnancy (just a few months before falling pregnant with this one, I had a missed miscarriage right at the end of the first trimester)... And the fact I'm sick at the moment (mild fever, painful body, chills) is definitely not helping either ... grrr. Where is the zombie smilie.

I think the OP's point was that the age definitely doesn't make anyone automatically 'high-risk,' that's ridiculous to claim. I'm still 'young,' yet I'm having psychological issues that make it super hard for me to relax and actually enjoy this pregnancy ... and I'm constantly worried about ... well, everything, haha.

Btw, I already have a few gray hairs ... not that it bothers me or really means anything, haha.

I just really want both my baby and myself to come out of this unscathed, haha. And the age thing? Ah, who cares ...
@Wilhelmina I hear you. Seriously. You are a baby - but I am very very similar. I am having a lot of mental issues this pregnancy - that is also making it very difficult to enjoy the process. Instead, it's more that I'm looking around the corner, waiting for the "heat" to come down. I know that sounds crazy, but it's somewhat true.

Being that this is my last - and I mean it. Hrumpf, i am really trying to enjoy the process. I want to glow in being pregnant, and not worry about flax seed oil, dandelion, red raspberry leaf, milk thistle - and what my body is going to do next week, at my next appointment, etc. I just want to love feeling my baby move inside me - the joy of life!

I want to stop worrying about being cut open, having my voice taken away, having my options go to pot, etc.

Honestly, it's really really hard when you are so afraid of what "might" happen. In 4 pregnancies, this is the first time I have experienced this psychosis. I wish it would go away.

It doesn't do anyone any good, most of all me.

User Tag List