ovarian cyst? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 09-28-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
ovarian cyst?

I should probably post this in the general pregnancy forum, but I've had bad luck getting threads to move on there. Maybe some of you have had experience with this!

I had a painful ovulation the month I got pregnant. I'm used to those, and I think it mostly comes down to visceral hypersensitivity and my body's response to a normal luteal cyst. I had ultrasounds on my ovaries last year and everything looked fine.

I continued to feel my ovary after conception, and that's how I knew I'd gotten pregnant (normally the pain goes away within a day after ovulation). My doc confirmed that I had a small cyst at my 8wk ultrasound, just the corpus luteum overdoing it a little bit, like normal. There was some fluid in the bottom of my uterus, too, probably from the cyst.

The twinges near my ovary finally went away after about week 10 or 11, right on schedule, and they were replaced by stretching and cramping and round ligament pain on both sides, as expected.

Now I swear I can feel my right ovary again, as painfully as ever, and it feels the exact same as when I ovulate. I feel it when I'm walking, when I sit down in a chair, when I straighten my leg lying on my back, all the places I always used to feel ovulation pain. I suspect a cyst, but naturally I didn't start feeling this until this weekend, and I just had an OB appointment on Thursday. My anatomy scan is scheduled for the 16th.

I suppose it could also just be round ligament pain, but this feels deeper, and I think I know (?) what RLP feels like at this point. But maybe it feels different once the belly starts growing. I don't know!

I just want to hear one person say, "Oh yeah, I had that too in my second trimester, and it went away on its own and I DIDN'T end up in the ER with ovarian torsion needing emergency surgery while pregnant."

Or, "Yeah, mine ruptured in the second trimester and I totally didn't bleed and have terrible pain and think I was miscarrying. It was painless and fine."

One person? This is the first real pregnancy fear I've had so far. All the rest of it has been so normal and healthy!

Last edited by indiana; 09-28-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Well, I have not had this, but my friend did, and she had a successful surgery (totally not what you want to hear, I know) and delivered her baby just fine. But if I were you, put a call in soon--like very soon--and put your mind at ease! Call tomorrow at the latest, imo. Hope it is not that.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

It is good to hear stories of women who came through surgery with a healthy baby, just in case that is what this ends up being! So thank you for sharing! I'm going to keep hoping that's NOT what it is and that I'm just associating a normal feeling with something else that I've felt before, but all the stories help.

My plan right now is to call if the pain gets any worse/more regular. I'm not even sure about using the word "pain" to describe it. It's twinges that don't necessarily hurt, but they definitely "feel," almost like something is being shoved around a bit when I move in certain ways. But it is enough to make me say, "Oh, should I be moving this way?"

But I'm also no stranger to pelvic pain, so I don't know if my tolerance is higher than others. I've had to learn to write off so many sensations as normal since childhood that these days I don't really know how to tell if it's real pain, and I tend to ignore it.

I guess the 16th is a little far away to wait. Ugh.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I second what Rosemarino said. It's probably nothing, but it's better to call your OB & see what she thinks. They don't mind calls about things that worry us. It's their job.

I haven't experienced this, nor do I know any women who have. BUT, sort-of related, my son recently woke with mild pain in his left testicle that got progressively worse, and our MD thought it could be torsion, so we went to the ER, (were there ALL DAY!), had an u/s, and turned out everything was fine. Doc said it could have twisted itself, and then untwisted itself, too. His pain subsided by the evening, and he's fine. I don't know how much that helps, but that's the best I got. Good luck. I hope it's nothing!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

And naturally I feel nothing today.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:41 PM

I was just logging in to see if you called--did you?! I would still call even if you feel nothing today--because it will only worry you if you feel it again. I agree-put a call in, it's their job and they want to do it. You don't have to go in necessarily, but it will put you (and me, lol) at ease. Obviously, I can't boss you around and I sound really bossy right now.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for being bossypants! I wouldn't have called today if you two hadn't reminded me that it's really their job. I had to leave a message and didn't really know what to say, but I did it!

They just called me back. The nurse kind of interrupted me after I said I especially feel it when I move certain ways. She said that sounds totally normal for people who have cysts, and that it usually isn't a problem unless you feel it all the time, even when you're not moving. Sometimes I do feel it at rest, but only when I have just started resting. It calms down once my insides have settled into their resting position.

She said that's OK, it doesn't mean the cyst is problematic, and that I should monitor the sensation. If it becomes constant or gets worse, then she'll want to see me. In the meantime she said to put it out of my mind.

So, watchful waiting. I can do that. Thanks for the coaching, ladies!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:09 PM

Sounds like good news to me--and it's just good to have it on record that you called so that if there is any change they can refer back. Go you!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I did have a ovarian cyst in my first pregnancy. I didn't feel anything. I bled randomly at 10 weeks, and that's when they found it. They said the cyst had nothing to do with the bleeding. By the time I got the next ultrasound (20 or so weeks) it was gone.

I don't know, I didn't worry too much about it as I didn't really know to worry about it (I was a bit over the sky high about pregnancy then). I had a "nothing can stop me now" attitude.

I hope this helps, but it went all gone bye-bye - and I ended with a beautiful and healthy homebirth.

Homeschooling, homebirthing mom to 3 (10, 5 and 2). Fourth expected in late March (yeah right, I carry forever). Probably mid-April!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have known several people with these so I have a few scenarios. #1 . They told my friend that if it got any larger (it was quite large---think orange size) they would have the operate and that may put baby at risk. #2 . Hers burst on it's own and it's what prompted her to be seen as she didn't have a ton of pain before that. Miserable at the time but her and baby are okay (this was early 2nd tri). #3 . My coworker who is pregnant has one and her OB basically told her not to worry about it as they will just continue to monitor if needed.

Pregnancy can certainly make you question every twinge hehe

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, ladies. It made me feel much better. I figured I should give a quick update. I haven't felt any twinges in that area for a few days. Which makes me wonder if maybe what I was feeling was the cyst harmlessly rupturing. Or it might not have been a cyst at all and just some new random pain in that area. Who knows. The important thing is that, for now, the feeling is gone. For a while I could feel it with every step I took, which is why it was so disconcerting.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Oh, that is such a relief. Thank you for the update.

User Tag List