Mothering Forum banner

Third trimester. Here we go!

12K views 318 replies 16 participants last post by  Yaliina 
#1 ·
I know that at least a couple of us have decided to count the third trimester at 27 weeks. I'm 27 weeks today, and I'm ready! Since I only just started feeling good a few weeks ago, I've decided to look forward in hope that this trimester will be my best. I don't care what the books say.

I started this thread because it seemed like a good place to report a milestone, or whatever you'd call this. Last night I was laying on my side, reading myself to sleep, and the baby gave me her first jab that actually hurt! She gave a sharp punch waaaay down low and off to the side, right where my leg was bent up against my belly. I think she jabbed a tendon or ligament. I jumped and shouted something. Which in turn startled my husband.

So, welcome to the world, third trimester baby! Hope you find a fleshier spot to practice your punches on for the next three months!

#4 ·
27 weeks this saturday! I have gone at 37, 39, and 38 weeks before, so I'm counting 27 as third trimester. My 39 weeker was real big and the only one with meconium in her water, so I've always wondered if she cooked too long and maybe I'm just meant to deliver well before 40 weeks.This is our first boy and first homebirth, so I'm really excited to see everything unfold! :grin:

#5 ·
OK, I've decided that what I'm feeling way down low is definitely round ligament (or some ligament) pain. For the last few days it has been happening when I roll over in bed, awkwardly get off the couch, or walk for a long period of time. It starts on the sides and then quickly migrates across my low abdomen. It's crampy and it hurts, but it never encompasses my whole uterus and it doesn't make it hard like BH should. Plus it lasts way longer. It's always instantly relieved by getting on my hands and knees, putting my head down, and shoving my butt up into the air so all those lower ligaments release and stretch. Not sure what I'll do the first time it happens at work. :)

When I had RLP during my first trimester, I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be so awful about it. It ached, but it was no big deal, and it stayed off to the sides and went away on its own with a little walking. Now I get it. It hurts!

I've noticed that my uterus is expanding downward pretty rapidly right now (which I'm thankful for, because my stomach was already almost out of room, and she had left LOTS of space down lower that she just wasn't interested in until now). So maybe this is just an adjustment period like it was in the first trimester, just some extra stretching that my body will get used to at some point. Here's hoping.

#8 ·
Ha! More like I hoped it meant I was a total badass. I thought maybe since I'm so used to pelvic pain, this pain that other women thought was so bad was just normal and easy for me, and then I thought maybe that meant childbirth would be no big deal. :) Like maybe women just don't know what pelvic pain feels like until they're giving birth and I do already.

But no. Turns out I'm just as big of a wuss as everybody else, and it all hurts. :)

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure this kid is either biting me or has fashioned some kind of rudimentary weapon in there. Whatever it is, there's this spot a couple inches from my belly button that she will not leave alone, and it keeps making me jump mid-meeting!

#12 ·
Yeah, I've considered that maybe she's trying to pick her way out through the wall, like in Shawshank Redemption. ;-) Thankfully this isn't my round ligament - she chose a much fleshier spot right in the middle of my belly to pick at. Guess I got what I asked for...

RLP is still happening, but I'm being more careful when I roll over and get up and that's helping. Plus I can always stick my butt in the air if it hits. Pregnancy is really a classy time.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse with walking. So far it seems like I have to go a fair distance before it starts kicking in, but not as far as I'd like.

Otherwise, I finally have had a week without any major afternoon/evening crashes. If I do feel weary, I'm able to eat and rest a bit and bounce back. For now. I hope it lasts, because I want to enjoy being pregnant a little. It should help that I just started 3 weeks of Christmas break!!

Oh, and I'm testing my blood sugar this week (instead of taking the glucola). My first test two hours after dinner today was good - 80. I'm so fascinated by this that I'll have to be careful I don't use up all my test strips. I can see myself doing all kinds of experiments. :)

#14 ·
I'm doing the glucola tomorrow morning. I am still kinda thinking of refusing it last minute- I haven't really gained any weight, and I'm eating pretty well. I highly doubt there is any chance I actually have GD, but it is a low-effect test (no drugs- just sugar), and it will make the docs happy. I'll need all the brownie point I can get once we start talking about the things I'm going to refuse or request to be changed towards the birth.

#15 ·
I'd do something, Yaliina. I'm still pretty thin (just gaining on schedule, but I started thin) and often feel like my sugar is low (which it is in the morning for sure), and I eat pretty much exactly the way they'd tell me to if I had GD already, and I've had numbers on my post-meal checks come really close to the high limit a couple times. I was surprised. I've had way low numbers, too, so it's just all over the place. But still, knowing that even I spike sometimes has taught me a lot and will impact my food choices until the baby is born. I usually seem to spike after meals that feel heavy in my stomach. So if you don't do the Glucola, at least ask if you can prick and test!

I think I can safely say I would have failed the GTT miserably, btw, now that I'm testing. I clearly don't eat much sugar and when I do, my body freaks out. I'll test super low, super low, super low all day and then eat a rich dinner and something in my body obviously doesn't know what to do with it. I've heard if the same thing with people eating paleo diets.

#16 ·
I did the screening today. Instead of glucola I did the 4oz juice, 4oz milk, slice bread and 1/2 banana. Good too because I was hungry. I've gained 20 pounds. On track with normal me! I'm measuring 30 weeks and am 28. I look huge, but now that the vulvar veins are gone I'm just happy.

My in laws are sending us and them and Josh's sisters and their families to a CRAZy Victorian era resort for Christmas called the Mohonk Mountain House. Leaving in a week. There's a lot to do. Trying not to stress out!

#17 ·
Wow, Rosemarino! That sounds like fun!

Glad you have a handle on it, though, @indiana.

I did take the glucose test yesterday. I'd forgotten that the drink tastes pretty much just like a really syruppy Orange Crush, and you have to down it in 3 minutes or less. The baby started jumping around like a Mexican jumping bean after that! I guess they'll call me with the results at some point. I'm really not too worried.

#18 ·
The drink makes me need to hurl under the best of circumstances, and with two recent sicknesses I didn't want to risk ANYTHING. It does taste like an orange soda reduction! I won't be called unless they need me to do the 3 hour. They call you either way?

#19 ·
Two points about exercise today:

1. I danced instead of walking today because it's cold out and I can't button my coat and I'm at home now, so I can dance. I did some standing pelvic rocks while I was dancing and they fired my round ligament pain RIGHT UP! Like instantly. I decided to see over the next week whether that means I haven't been doing enough pelvic rocks, or if it means I can't do them comfortably even with practice. Otherwise, the dancing and getting my hips into it felt so good. It wore me out, though, and I'll be sore tomorrow!

2. They're not kidding when they say exercise drops your blood sugar. I've been seeing 15-30 point differences in my blood sugar when I exercise after a meal vs. when I don't. Even like a brisk 15 minute walk makes a huge difference. I had no idea it was that dramatic!

#21 ·
27 weeks! Wahoo! I'm in! Yes, I just turned in my two weeks of home glucose test papers today and I passed with flying colors but I also felt like it was an awesome educational experience. I learned so much! I'm trying to get all of my non preg family members to try it out! It's very empowering and enlightening to know how your food and activity choices directly affect your body and your baby. Really cool. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone! Especially if you're struggling to make good food choices.

#22 ·
Here's what I have to say today, to anyone who wants to try to tell me it's a good thing that I'm tired and not sleeping (and there seem to be many women in my world who want to tell me that!):

Don't give me some BS about how waking up a million times all night and not being able to fall asleep in the first place is just my body preparing me for when the baby comes. Don't try to make it sound cute. I can't sleep because my legs won't stop kicking and my hip is killing me and every time I roll over on my back in my sleep I can't breathe and I mostly can't breathe in any position because my nose is so stuffy and now the air is so dry. I don't believe this is nature trying to prepare me to be a mama. I believe that my body is very pregnant and uncomfortable.

I will gladly wake up multiple times a night when I do not also have to be pregnant all day.

My husband almost went to sleep in the guest bed last night, I woke him up so many times thrashing around.

#23 ·
:yeah

One of the most obnoxious things everyone says, isn't it? Nobody means any harm, but people forget, seriously. what it's like when it's your reality.

Pascal has been home for 2 days with an ear infection (just took him in today to confirm that.) At least it isn't strep throat, which we wondered about. Iona had her preschool holiday play today. She was a mouse. IT was cuuuute.

I sold a 6 piece pewter table setting that I bought for less than $10 on eBay for $180! Love that. Helps a lot with Christmas presents. :)

#24 ·
@willsmomm , congrats on passing the test! I just had an appointment today and was given a big PASS, too. I'm still going to check from time to time, mostly because it's fun. I never had the chance to test with any crazy holiday desserts or anything. Another really interesting thing I noticed was that my blood sugar was highest (not high, just higher than normal) whenever I had played video games before the test. Seriously. My husband and I like to play Mario Kart, and I had no idea how much it stresses me out! It's not just because I've been physically inactive while I play, because other periods of sitting around don't seem to do that. It's the stress from all those damn Koopa shells and bananas! I wonder what real stress would do. I've been relaxing on break the whole time I've been testing. I'm sure if I test a couple days into our visit with the parents/siblings next week, I'll find out. :)

@Rosemarino , it sounds like poor Pascal could really use a break from being sick. And I imagine you could use a break from it, too... But you're right, if I had to choose between ear infection and strep throat, I'd be right there with you. At least you made a big sale and had a cute mouse to cheer up the week! I'd love to have a surprise $180 to spend on presents right about now! I'm keeping poor Pascal in my thoughts in hopes that he can have a healthy holiday.http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

#25 ·
Two third trimester developments:

1. I wish I could be naked all the time. Not because I'm hot. But because my maternity clothes are starting to feel tight and they bunch where I don't want them to, and I feel much more free and at ease when I'm naked. I did prenatal yoga naked today and it was so much better. And I've had to sleep naked since like week 8. Is that just a weird me quirk, or is anybody else starting to really hate clothes?

2. My body clock has officially reverted back to teenagedom. If I had it my way (and I do now, since I'm on break), I would fall asleep at 2am and wake up at 10:30. Unfortunately, even when I'm working I fall asleep that late every night - the only difference is I have to get up way before I'm ready. I've always been a night person, but normally when I have to get up for work I can fall asleep earlier with a lot of practice. Not anymore. 9pm-2am is like my most awake, energetic time these days.

#26 ·
Indiana, I empathize with you about being sick of feeling miserable in your own body & being unable to sleep or even just find a comfortable position 22 hours of the day makes everything seem so much worse! I also understand that people telling you it's a good thing makes you want to punch them in the mouth. Just bear in mind that most of them (moms, at least) are just trying to help you see the silver lining- not trying to belittle your pain. It's still annoying, though. And feel free to bitch to us any time! ;)

Rosemarino, I'm sorry Pascal is sick- ear infections suck- especially because 9/10 you can't really do anything about it but wait for it to be over. If his ears are hurting him, a warm compress really helps, and if they're really bothersome, some tepid olive or almond oil dropped in the ear may relieve him some. I sometimes infuse olive oil with garlic to drop in my kids' ears. It smells very potent, but feels really good. Be aware that he won't be hearing properly for at least a few weeks around the time of infection- and the hearing thing can last 3-6 weeks after it's gone, sometimes. Hope he's better soon! Also, "Yay!" for your success in selling stuff at a good profit! :)

Indiana, I do feel you about the clothes. Mine isn't so much because I'm too big- yet. I'm actually not very big this time, which seems odd to me, but hopefully is just because I'm carrying this baby differently. This baby seems to be all down in my pelvis. Most of the kicks I feel are way down low- like bikini scar low. But I do already hate my clothes because nothing fits right, and everything gets more sensitive while pregnant. Today, my bra started fitting wrong. I wish I could sleep nude again, but I have 2 little boys who sometimes come to bed in the middle of the night with me. I'm also with you on the time thing- though it's not pregnancy-related for me. I'm a night-owl anyway, and would much rather be up until 2am & then sleep late. So far, I have one son who's on my schedule (my oldest), and the other who is a cheery morning bird. I love him, but the morning thing is a challenge.

#27 · (Edited)
I just found the perfect solution to my nakedness needs. It's too cold to just sit around the house naked, although you can bet I'm still sleeping naked. I found this maternity dress that I bought online early in my pregnancy. It was way too big, but I thought maybe I'd grow into it. Not so. It still hangs on me and is super frumpy. But it's made of the softest, smoothest cotton and it isn't restrictive on a single body part and it flows loosely over my whole belly. It is made even less flattering by the fact that it's black and comes down mid-calf (I was going to hem it), which really brings out my pasty legs. Combine that with a pair of white crew socks to keep my legs warm and these black Mary Jane-type slippers that I wear around the house, and I don't even know what word you would use to describe it. Nerdy or frumpy don't do justice to how ridiculous I look.

And I couldn't be happier. I go commando in it and forget I'm wearing anything.

My new plan for today is to knit some quick leg warmers since the crew socks don't come up high enough. And then I'm going to wear this dress every day until the baby is born. I'm so happy and frumpy and comfortable!

ETA: To get across the perfect roominess of it, I've been calling it my "house dress." I haven't taken it off at all today. I don't know what I'm going to do when laundry day arrives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.