Mothering Forum banner

This baby's coming!

3K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  LexiDrewMama 
#1 ·
PROM. I can't believe it. I'm not in labor. They gave me a few hours and plan to give pitocin at 8. I'm so pissed it's going this way.

I mean I'm going to have a baby soon,. That's great. But emotionally that's not where I am yet.

#3 ·
Nipple stim worked! Like magic. I don't know if it will keep up, but I've avoided pitocin for now! I'm in for real labor now thanks to a very skilled husband. :)

Contractions are not painful right now at all. I can feel the tightening and they're about 2-4 minutes apart. Some light cramping down low, but otherwise things are fine. So I'm sure it's early labor stuff still, but it's regular! I think we're going to have to keep up the nipple stim pretty regularly for a while, just to make sure this keeps.

#7 ·
Oh, wow, Indiana! I'm so glad nipple stim is working. I've had Pitocin induction without pain meds, and it hurts like a bitch, but it's totally doable. Mine lasted 9 hours & I didn't have ruptured membranes. You are a goddess when it comes to pain management, so you'll do just fine, no matter what gets thrown your way. And you get to be the FIRST of our group to have a baby!!

Good luck & prayers your way. Let us know when you can. Can't wait to see pics of your precious little bundle!

#11 ·
I'll probably write a whole birth story soon, but I wanted to share some of the best parts!

1. Right now there is a tiny 6 lb 11oz, 19" (and something...I was trying not to pass out when they told me that - more about that later) baby resting in the crook of my knee while I type in the hospital bed. She had a long night/day and is interested in nothing but sleeping. And she makes as many faces when she's asleep as when she's awake. She still doesn't have a name, but we're working on it. We have to get her to keep her eyes open long enough for us to get to know her as anything but oh-so-snuggly! No pictures yet, because our camera died right after we finished taking them and we didn't get a chance to upload them.

2. After not one, but three threats throughout the night to put me on pitocin, I managed a completely natural labor in spite of the OB being unhappy with my decisions. I advocated for myself like a BOSS. And my partner and doula were amazing with that, too.

3. It wasn't really as hard as I thought it would be! There was never a point where I considered pain meds even for a moment. It hurt. And it was very hard. And there were sensations that took me totally by surprise, but it always felt like something I could do. Something I was doing. I'm really in awe of myself and my baby today.

4. I got a 2nd degree tear, which I honesty expected given my pelvic floor history (in fact, I was just grateful it wasn't worse). Stitches suck big time. Big time! I keep thinking of how much less complicated this day would have been if I was intact. I still would have been so swollen and sore...but stitches extra suck. I'm dreading my first poop. Just peeing is a disaster. I feel like I'm going to need some of my new labor skills to get through it.

5. I did cheat with food/water and don't know how I would have done it otherwise. Food I feel I was reasonable about. A half a banana here, a smoothie pack there, a teaspoon of honey every few hours... And I did sip my water instead of gulping it. I just sipped OFTEN. I peed all the time.

6. I cheated with food and I STILL almost passed out in the bathroom once my adrenaline had come down. And then later when the pediatrician came in to do the check-up and I tried to sit up and talk to her. I had to lay on my left side (not facing the baby!) for that AND later for her vitamin K and eye drops and stuff. I was pasty and yellow-green for most of the day. I still don't have all of my color back. I'm clearly deficient in lots of things at the moment. But I'm getting there. I think it's because I totally would have eaten a full dinner if I hadn't been in the hospital during those first easy contractions. Instead I was just nibbling on sugar throughout the night, basically.

7. I am having phantom baby squirms in my belly. And it was so, so cool how I recognized some of her squirming patterns today from before she was born!

I guess that's it for now! Pics and a birth story coming eventually!!

#13 ·
@indiana! Thrilled for your new family. Thrilled! Been checking like a maniac for this update. You rocked it!!!! Can't wait to see her. And given your account if your coloring you are remarkably coherent!
Poop: have you asked for stool softeners? I have twice had 2nd degree tears and worried just like you, but the stool softeners make it no big deal! Really a life saver.

Keep us posted!!!!!

#16 ·
Congrats!! Can't wait to see a picture and hear the name.

I read an article about first poop after birth on huff post (I think). She recommended stool softener and applying counter pressure with a frozen makeup removing cotton pad soaked in witch hazel and soothing stuff. I'll see if I can find it.

#20 ·
Dear @indiana thought about your birth a lot today, so happy for you! Congrats! Really in awe of your ability to feel always this was something you can do- even in the hardest of moments. Cherish this journey now, especially the first few days, the new thoughts, the new observations, if you can write them down in a notepad- they will recharge you always.
So happy for you mama and your new family! :x:thumb
And hope you are getting sleep.

#21 ·
@indiana, I'm SOOOO HAPPY for you & so PROUD of you!!! You did so great!!!

I can't wait to see pics & find out what you decided to name your little precious bundle! It sounds like you are a goddess. I hope that feeling sticks with you forever.

Love & hugs your way!!

#24 ·
OH MY GOSH I am so glad I got on the computer today! WOW, congratulations! And that is SO amazing that you were able to avoid the pit and get it done like a boss! What an amazing birth story! I hope your recovery goes well. So many hugs!

#26 ·
OK, I have so many things to write, but we left the laptop charger at home so I was stuck on the ipad after day 1. Now I'm stuck on it cause I'm lying on my side off the stitches and holding the baby. I'll write more soon though!

For now I just wanted to say:

Hey you! Remember all that nesting you're putting off because you're too tired/pregnant/busy/sore to do it? Or because you're trying to strike a balance between work and rest? Or because you "still have a couple weeks?" Do your nesting! Do all of it. Now.

That was just a little PSA for you.

But seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.