Mothering Forum banner

March Thread

6K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  Rosemarino 
#1 ·
Well, it is time to switch over to March! Come on, babies!!! :)

Reactions: Rosemarino
#2 ·
March is not being terribly cooperative at the moment.

We're supposed to have our 36-week home visit today, but it's logistically a nightmare. We're currently housesitting 2 miles away for my in-laws. ~4 inches of snow fell last night, and their driveway is steep as all get out, plus I only have MIL's car here, which I'm not super comfortable with. My car and FIL's car are snowed in at our house with no shoveled-out parking. I'm not allowed to shovel in my current state, so even if I can maneuver MIL's giant car over there, where do I park it? Where do hubby and the midwives park? It's not neat or tidy or nested or cozy over there. Hubby's trying to see if he can leave work early (he teaches, but even if he gets out at 3:30 on the dot for our 4 p appointment, he'll just make it). Hubby has meetings Tues/Wed and the midwives are busy Thursday, so rescheduling doesn't look good. People I would ask for help are working or out of town.

I'm so sick of housesitting I want to spit. We've been here since the Friday before last with my in-laws' anxious, stubborn, annoying dogs (I like dogs. I do. I love our dog. But these dogs are driving me up the wall). In-laws are supposed to get back around 9 pm tomorrow.

I just want to go be in my own house with my own kitchen and my own bed and my own everything. No one is sleeping well here. But I also get hubby not wanting him or me having to come over here 4 times a day (6:30a, noonish, 6:30p, 10p) to feed and take out these spoiled dogs.

#3 ·
@teegan db March hasn't been cooperative for me either. We had our 36 week appoint,net as well. Not only did we have an ice storm, my midwife delivered 2 babies the previous day. How does one deliver 2 babies in one night?

Right?

Anyway, we have rescheduled. All my birth stuff is almost ready to go.

Called for GBS results today. NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!

Sigh of relief. Antibiotics suck for everyone.

Reactions: Rosemarino
#4 ·
Oh that snow sounds so tough! We got another dose but it wasn't too bad. More weather on the way tonight.

Horay for negative GBS!! This was a huge relief to me as well.

Just went down to half days at work and I have been LOVING having this morning for errands, cleaning etc. About to lay down for a minute and then head to work, with dinner already in the slow cooker and all of my nagging bills/errands DONE, between the weekend and the extra morning. So great. My sister's wedding is on Saturday so things will get busy again, but at least I only have 4 hours of work each day. Due date is the 11th and I have a family history of going 2 weeks late (mom and grandma- my sister has not gone into spontaneous labor for any of her 3). I am going to at least try to work till the 13th. I have 12 weeks off, and my partner was approved for 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave, which I am SO happy about.

#6 ·
I spent the last two days with my laboring friend whose water broke Friday morning and got home at 4 this morning. She is now finally having the baby and I'm missing it! Actually I'm getting lots of picture updates from her doula so I appreciate that. But I'm sad to not be there. Spending the day mothering from bed because I'm exhausted! My kids are actually being pretty great though and are excited that their friends' mommy is having a baby. Yay! Just now got a pushing pic. :D

#7 ·
Hi guys! I haven't checked in here in a few months! Hope everyone is doing alright and still cooking their March babies! Can you all believe it's baby month?
This is my fourth babe and she's been flipping on me for a few weeks. I've been doing all the things I can do to get her to stay head down and I thought she finally settled a few days ago but today I woke up not so sure. I'm headed to the chiropractor in an hour, so I'll have her try to belly map with me to see where she's at. There are NO care providers here at all that are trained to deliver breech babies, including my midwife, so that's been in the back of my mind. Sorry to come and leave that here, but yeah, not something that I want to be dealing with at 38 weeks!

#8 ·
We're getting some glimpses of spring finally...I really love to get the garden prepped before I go into labor (this is my second March baby) so I hope that works again this year!
I have had a few "uh oh, this might be it" moments in the last month, but now i'm 38 weeks and still nothing...so we'll see. the longest i've ever gone is 39 and 2, so if I go past that it'll be totally new territory for me. So I'm trying to focus on all the things I'd like to get done before baby, that way I don't just wallow in "holy crap I'm still pregnant" ;) my birthday is Thursday and when my husband asked what I wanted all i could come up with was mulch for the garden and to have this baby! Lol. So exciting. I'm ready to see some of these cute babies already!!

#12 ·
Thank you, Yaliina! Went to the chiro yesterday and she was still head down! Now, no more going crazy over it. It was a really good adjustment and I felt all stretchy and felt her move down a bit more last night!
Rosemarino- yes! I've been wrapping my belly with a few carriers I have here. Seems to help her stay settled.

I bet our first March baby comes Thursday night/Friday morning with the full moon!

#10 ·
Fingers crossed for a head-down baby, purposefuldoula! Sorry things aren't going your way teegan & Lisa! But Yay! for the GBS negative results! I'll be taking my test next week. Doc said it was fine to wait, since I'm planning a C anyway, I'll have abx, but I am hoping for a negative so I can do the swabbing.

willsmom, Doesn't it suck to have missed the climax after all the work you put in! I hope you get some rest & enjoy the pics of the baby, anyway.

lilleymama4, I wish we could get started on our garden! I'm afraid it'll be a few more weeks before the snow melts enough to even get out and assess the beds, though. I still have nearly 4 weeks to go, though. I need to get some peat pots & plant some seeds indoors this week in prep. Happy birthday!

AFM: I finally was able to place the order for my GMD orange edge prefolds & the flat folds I need. Now I'm set for diapers. I just need to wash/lanolize/prep everything. Once my Charlie's soap arrives tomorrow, I can get that started. I have my consult with the anesthesiologist tomorrow morning. I need to print out my birth plan for him (her?) & have my questions ready. Wish me luck. It sounds like the anesthesiologist is really the person with all the power in the OR (according to the OB). I just need to remember to be nice & not get confrontational. 0:)

#13 ·
I'm half expecting mine on Friday. Went to the chiro today. I was expecting a miracle but I totally feel just the same, which is to say crippled! I can BARELY walk. I actually invited my SIL back to help me out and boy is she being awesome. I'm eating humble pie voluntarily!

#15 ·
Geez, I leave for a few days and people are on crutches and everything! I hope that means babies are coming soon, for crying out loud. It sounds like skeletons are starting to suffer.

I've barely read through, and I'll probably have to count the end of the Feb. chat a loss, but I just wanted to check in cause I missed everyone (and we even have @purposefuldoula back, hooray!). Which has me thinking, aside from babymoons, I hope we will all post and keep supporting each other well into baby days. I can't imagine losing all of this amazing friendship (and knowledge) just because we've all arrived on the other side of pregnancy. I've missed you all while I've been baby-bonding! Not that I would have it any other way...it's impossible to look away from this tiny face.

I hope we see more babies soon and that everyone's back/pelvis/midwives/weather stop being a pain!

#17 ·
Yes, one of my coworkers was an L&D nurse for 20 years and she swears by the full moon. Her bet was on me going into labor on Thursday. My sister's wedding is on Saturday so I hope not... But also I just talked to my mom and found out she was induced at 42 weeks with 2 out of the 3 of us, and went almost to 43 weeks with my sister who is getting married... Eep! Not sure how much family history factors into this but I am well aware that week 39 begins tomorrow, and really, I could go into labor anytime in the next 3 weeks, including tonight...

I hope to continue to post! I will certainly be home more and will probably have more opportunities to be on MDC.

Rosemarino, the last time I was on MDC regularly I remember your partner was struggling with administration... I am glad it sounds like something was sorted out and I hope all of that is going well! I also hope you feel better soon-- sounds painful.

Purposefuldoula Yay for head down! Glad to hear. That would be nerve wracking. My OB has a fantastic reputation for working with moms who want to go all natural, and avoiding interventions, but he still won't deliver a breech baby vaginally. It's such a lost art.

Yaliina are you just doing prefolds and flats? I got a rental for newborn fitteds. It included 24 fitteds and 4 Flip covers. I bought 2 NB size wool covers as well, one is lanolized and I have to do the other one still. I think that should be enough for the first few months, while we stumble through the learning curve :). After that I can experiment with prefolds and flats... Did you CD your other kids?

I also just got some queen sized mama cloth for me. It will be different; I used cloth in my early 20s till I found the Diva cup, and have pretty much exclusively used that for 10+ years. Much prefer that to anything that catches everything and holds it next to the body, but for postpartum you don't really have an option... I am wondering, for anyone else who uses cloth for themselves, if you still get disposable mega pads for the first week or two, or you use cloth the whole time?

Also of note... My mom has a Costco membership and got me both Medjool and Deglet Noor dates. No comparison! I can't believe how much more delicious Medjool are. And they are so much more fresh tasting than the extremely overpriced little containers of dates I got at a certain natural foods chain store. I've made homemade Lara bars before so I guess that's how I'll use up the Costco sized Delget Noor dates.

#18 ·
@teamviddy, I'm a mama cloth user, but I used the disposable pads for the first two weeks last time, just in case I had a lot of lochia and for simplicity's sake. Same with diapers, actually, though I'm hoping now that I've been down the cloth diaper road, I'll be comfortable using them earlier this time!

#21 ·
Eating dates reminds me of my late father. When I was a little girl he used to tell me that only teenagers were old enough for dates but would let it slide. :)

Tonight I'm getting shooting pains all over my abdomen if I stand for more than like 10 seconds. Hope it's gone by the morning. I've turned it into breathing practice. :\

#22 · (Edited)
You guys are making me want to go buy some dates to see if I can acquire a taste for them. As I keep telling my kids: tastes change over time.

teamviddy, I'm going to answer your CD questions in the diapering thread, so check there. :)

#23 ·
Seriously, @Yaliina, just make sure they're Medjool. The difference is so profound! And the fresher (well, still dried, obviously) the better. If they've sat around, the sugar starts to crystallize or something and it's not the same.

I can't imagine eating six of those in a day, though! So much sugar! I guess if you don't have blood sugar issues it's OK, especially if the benefits are so real.

#24 ·
Will do.

So, I decided to create a Facebook group for us. Indiana talked about wanting us to keep in touch after babies are all born & growing up- I completely agree. But, I know I'll do what I did the last 2 times & get too busy with life to sign in here & check the forums- too many steps. I check Facebook almost every day, though. I know not everyone will be on FB, but it's the best option I can think of. If you want to join my Facebook page, you can either look it up or PM me with your FB name & I'll invite you to it. I made it a closed group, so we'll all feel a little safer posting there, but that means you'll have to get permission to join. I can give someone else admin access so we can approve everyone, etc. Let me know what you think.

I named the group "Mothering March 2015 DDC". Not creative, but it is descriptive. :) LMK if you have a better name, too.

#25 ·
I love dates, so I have no problem eating them, but you can always dice them up and put them in oatmeal or scones or muffins or something and then just cut back on any sweetener/other fruit you might use.

I also have been craving fresh ginger all pregnancy, but especially third trimester. I don't know if it's the cold or this baby (though I secretly think it means this one will have "spicy" personality!), but I can't get enough. I make a big pot of RRL/nettle tea with fresh chopped ginger every day, and I usually just nibble at some fresh ginger when I'm inclined.

In completely unrelated news, here's a TMI question: Why did no one tell me it's perfectly normal to have swollen labia during pregnancy? It doesn't hurt; it's just... quite sizable. And probably due in part to the yeast infection that seems to have appeared in the last 48 hours. Boo.

#26 ·
@Teegan, I had swollen labia during my last pregnancy, and off and on this time. It looked like I was wearing a medieval codpiece. :( I also had vulvar varicosities. They started up this pregnancy also, but with the help of helichrysum italicum oil, I haven't had a problem.

I asked to join the FB group. That's where my Oct 11 MDC group is, too. It's really convenient. Thanks for doing that, Yaliina.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.