Amazing Names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Amazing Names

Some of us might have already picked out the perfect name two babies ago and some of us might not have even considered this yet, but... this is one of my favorite parts of the LONG wait for baby!! What are your favorite sites or books? What is your strategy for going about the naming process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I never intended to have a pattern but it worked out that way. My first Son's name ends in -an. He was ten when my next son was born, so when we thinking of names and I came up with unusual ones, he was sad and jealous that his name is more common. So we named DS2 with a -an ending to match ds1. With ds3 we couldn't break suit, and the trio of -an, 2 syllable names is great, they sound like a set. Now with dc4, I am going with the same but I am considering 1 or 3 syllables. I already picked out the perfect name and it is gender neutral.

The name means traveler or crusader in Latin. This is appropriate since this baby has beat the odds -- the egg came from my right ovary where I am missing a fallopian tube. So how did it end up in my uterus??? This kid, whoever they are, deserves a special name.

Now the hard part. DH. He is not a big fan of my artful choice, lol but he'll come around. It is just too perfect. And has tones of cute nickname potential which is huge for my family.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For our daughter, it took us almost the entire pregnancy to come up with a first name! And her middle name wasn't decided upon until after she was born. :)

For our current bun, Hubby and I took a 10-hour (one way) trip this weekend, and the names have been decided! We just tossed a TON of names around and had a LOT of laughs! :)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 PM

I named my first son Dominic Anthony. It was last minute. At the time I had a best friend Ryan who's name I picked because I liked it since I was little and Anthony for my grandfather who I was extremely close to. I was born on his birthday. :) When I held my baby for the first time and they asked me what his name was, I told them I didn't know and to hold on because I heard his father talking to me at the same time. I heard the name Dominic. He said something completely different but it's what I heard and I knew it was his name. :)

This time I have no clue. There are names in both genders that I like but nothing has struck me at this point.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM

DH and I are college sweethearts and we used to talk about baby names way back then. When we were expecting DD1 we pretty much knew which name we would be using for her. When DD2 came along, I pretty much used my second choice for our first daughter. I love both of our daughters names!

With this one we have been tossing some names around and there are a couple that I like but then I change my mind about… and then I like them again, lol, so I am hoping as we get closer to meeting him/her that a name will start to really feel "right."

We have also always found out the baby's gender so that always narrows it down by 50%.

Edited to add: I like baby name wizard's "name voyager." It gives a pretty cool visual of baby name popularity over the years.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have started talking about names, but will not 100% decide on one until after baby is born. Very few people will know what names we are thinking as well since we want to be able to change our minds as we want. So far for a boy it's Noah, or for DH it's Enoch. For a girl Isabella. Though Lydia is a close second for me
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I've been thinking more about names lately. I am a little nervous about my all time fav for this bug, Peregrine. For boy or girl, although traditionally it is a boy's name. Nick names are Pippin, Pip, Perry. Love the NN Pip!! I just think it's darling. The middle name will be tricky as the first name is so unusual, the middle should be more common. I was thinking of an honor name, like Wayne after my father in law, or Dot after my grandmother. But I hesitate to actually think of this baby as Perry yet for fear of a loss. I don't want to lose the name because I love it so much. So I generally refer to the babe as Pea.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:24 PM

For a boy - we have the name picked out already. It'll be after DH father who passed away. Then my father's name for the middle. If we have another girl... I have a long list going.... and adding daily too. haha. I tend to like the older names as you'll see from my list. My 2 current girls are Eleanor Jayne and Hazel Ann.

Orla
Flora
Seren
Emer (Eimear)
Gretchen
Gabrielle
Maggie
Keira
Cora
Brida
Pearl
Maeve
Lillian
Gwen
Mabel
Lorna
Rubie
Mirren
Larissa
Greta
Catrin
Anita
Larna
Astrid
Amelia
Arwen
Lucinda
Harlow
Marina
Emyvale
Rita
Harriet (Hettie)
Bernadette (Benny)
Old 07-20-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

So, I was 100% about Peregrine, but now I'm feeling hesitant. Dh and I began a long brainstorm session that didn't lead anywhere amazing.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else wanna brainstorm here? I am going to keep track of my thoughts here...

Boy: Peregrine*, Larkin, Lief
Girl: Heron*, Didion, Amelia, Wren, Maybe Peregrine but not sure I love it for a girl anymore

My other kids Are Ethan, Caelan, and Rowan

*The ones I think I like best right now

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If this one is a boy DH has got it covered. We have been friends a long time and he told me years ago he wanted to name his first son after both of his grandpas. Boonie Jack. The funny thing about Boonie is that was actually a nick name. {DH didn't even know his grandpas given name until after he passed away} It's not common at all, and that works well for us because DH and I have rare names, and DD is far from common as well. That being said I like names that are easy to say, because mine gets messed up too often.
Now if it's a girl I really don't know. I want to find out what we are having before I give it much thought.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Love all the bird names @writermama12 ! I have envisioned a bird name for this one since we decided to try for her...and Peregrine was a favorite for DS, up to the last minute. I think it's totally sweet for a girl. I knew a Jezebel and Tallulah (sisters) and even though those seem like awfully big names to carry off, they totally did.

Didion's pretty, and unique...and a nice homage. I was trying to imagine Earhart as a feminine name the other day...i think i like the way it sounds, and the evocation,the but not the way it's spelled.

maybe too thematic for you, but have you considered arwen or eowyn? (two others we had on the list last time, and who knows, might try on again...)

LOVE Boonie Jack, @OklaFarmMama . Feel like I know that kid already.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
@writermama12 is Rowan a boy or a girl? It was our top boy name until we found we were having a girl. It's still on the girl list

I like Ember Rain, but not having it confused with Amber. Violet & Phaedra were my top picks last pregnancy. But Violet seems to be gaining in popularity & I know no one will pronounce the other right. We're looking at Estonian names, but nothing is grabbing me. My only definite is the name cannot start with A (which rules out a lot). Both kids & DH start with A.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have like millions of the names i like and none "that-perfect-the-only-one-love" name;-) for girls:
Penelope
Evangeline
Persephone
Clementina
Vivienne
Sophia
Elodie
Amber
Ava/Eva/Eve
Serena
for boys:
Elijah/Eliah
Isaac
Oscar
Tristan
Cameron
Connor
Matheo
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Adding to my list:

girl: Sloane, Iris, Emerson (Sloane means traveler and Iris is another name for the goddess of travel)

Invierna, Yes, we love tolkien here and have considered Arwen and Eowyn...Now on the list

I am glad I don't seem crazy for loving Peregrine. I would probably still love it for a girl if DH did, but he harps on how " gutteral and ugly it sounds" as a name. He's never really liked it.

neonalee, I really like Ember!! Super cool.

Gingerjv, Whoa Persephone!!! I have considered that one and didn't know if I could commit to it, but I think it rocks.

Oklafarm, Boonie is the cutest darn name!!! OMG. Love it, good one DH.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and Rowan is a boy, but we've picked out gender nuetral names for the last two. Caelan is now a very popular GIRL name, even though it is traditionally boy and Rowan is both and we were planning to use it for either. I would like to do the same this time, or to pick a name that is so unusual that there is no gender attached to it.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Here's some more on our list, but they are unlikely to make the cut. I think. LOL

Jenae
Seraphine
Meillikki
Lyra
Laine (lay-nee)

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 07-25-2014, 07:10 PM

Thank you all! I've been kind of surprised at the number of people who like it.

I can understand what you ladies are saying about it just not feeling right. It was like that for DD middle name. I tried to go with a family name for a middle name knowing DH's first choice for a boy, and I didn't want her to feel left out for not having a family name, but I didn't feel like any of them where who she was. So Acelyn Aurora is who my baby girl is, and she really is a beautiful light.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Editing List:

Girl: * Heron, Gwendolyn, Peregrine, Sloane
Boy: *Peregrine, Lief, Levin

Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Editing my list again:

Girl: Heron, Peregrine, Phoenix (DH doesn't like it but I do!!), Wren, and Sloane...oh, and Oriel
Boy: Peregrine, Heron, Larkin, Lief

Neonalee, I LOVE Lyra! Beautiful name! Great character too. Anyone else have an updated list? I am having a hard time getting DH to contribute but he is mighty opinionated about my suggestions.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was so excited that during our long car trip Dh and I talked it out and both felt kind of settled on the name Leif (L-ee-f)for either sex even though it is a *boy* name. So what? It isn't a popular enough name to be weird IMO, not like Michael or John. At least not in the US. But today I read that it is pronounced differently depending on the language you speak, usually (L-ay-f) or (Life), but we really liked (L-ee-f) because it sounds like the natural object but isn't. In the US there are a bunch of Leifs that pronounce it L-ee-f...so my questions for you ladies is if it usually mispronounced here the way I like it, do I go with it even though it is technically wrong? And do you think going with it for a girl would be really weird, like naming her Thomas or something??

Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 PM

As far as how the name is pronounced that is up to you. Once you say it how you like your friends and family will get use to it that way. That being said, you have to be aware that others will pronounce it different. If you ever move somewhere they say it another way the baby will forever be correcting them. For me I'm avoiding names that are said different between USA and AUS. I will forever be an American in speech and do not want to forever be correcting people on how to say Issac, Zachary, Megan, Danielle, ect.

Me 22  DH 27. First  6 May. Baby BOY due early Jan 2014 
Old 08-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity9111 View Post
I will forever be an American in speech and do not want to forever be correcting people on how to say Issac, Zachary, Megan, Danielle, ect.
Now I am super curious about how those names are pronounced in Australia!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:02 PM

I hate english but will try my best to spell them out how they say them here, lol
Isaac, sounds like I-zac...some even spell it Izaac, Izach or Izaak
Zachary, Za-Ka-Ree (hard K not a soft K), said with 3 syllables and a funny accent
Megan, Mee-gen
Danielle, Dan-i-elle or Danny-elle

Me 22  DH 27. First  6 May. Baby BOY due early Jan 2014 

Last edited by eternity9111; 08-10-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We just found out we are having a boy, and I think we are going to go with Dallas Mitchell or Scotland Mitchell. We just picked something unique for the first name, and then my dad's name for the middle name (which I knew I wanted).

Married August 2012 .......    Baby BOY due Jan 6!
Love my two monstersMalamute & Newfoundland
Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Kita, I have a friend named Dallas and it suits him so well. He's a New Zealander and very creative. I think it's a great name.

We are so excited to come up with a girl name for the first time. AHHHHHHhhhh!

What do you ladies think of Sloane? How does it hit you? What does it make you think/ feel when you say it or hear it?

I really like it, but it won't hurt my feelings if others don't. I am more interested in knowing if it seems too hard to say or if it seems too old or skeezy or something that I'm unaware of. But I really like it because it means traveler/explorer and it is one syallable, has deep tones, and seems sophisticated and yet creative because it isn't common.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I like it. It's definitely unusual, but not completely unknown as a name that people will have trouble pronouncing it. Mostly I think of Ferris Bueller's girlfriend when I hear it. I also met a friend of a coworker with that name, and she seemed nice.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like it too . I will admit it makes me think of Sloane from Alias, as well from Grey's Anatomy, the TV shows; but I think it's a great name for a girl.

Married August 2012 .......    Baby BOY due Jan 6!
Love my two monstersMalamute & Newfoundland
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sloane seems to be gaining in popularity (definitely not in the sense that it's in the top 1000 names) but people seem to be more aware and "accepting" of it as a name for girls. Definitely because of TV shows like Kita has mentioned.

As for us, we don't know what we're having. We do have a girl name picked out but it's a secret! It's definitely on the "unique" side and people will probably not know how to pronounce it but it's from my Scandinavian heritage and thankfully my hubs loved the name. Her middle name will be Claire. Which is after my DH's grandmother (her name is Clara and we decided to go with Claire to honor her but it sounds better with the girl name we picked than Clara would.) As for a boys name we have a couple ideas but nothing is decided yet. Like with the girls name the middle name will also be a family name, this time from my father. His name is Gary and the middle name we'll use is Garrison.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts on Sloane. We shared it with our 13 yo and he HATES it!! He ranted about how ugly it is for an hour yesterday. Ugh. Now I'm feeling doubtful, like maybe he's right.

User Tag List