Bras - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Bras

So, this is my first pregnancy, and I was completely unprepared for how early my breasts would start growing. My bras are already getting tight and uncomfortable. I've tried letting out the band, but this is not going to be a long-term solution. However, I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on new bras (they're so expensive) when I know I'm just going to need bigger ones again in a short while anyway.

How is everyone coping with this? Any advice from more experienced moms? Do I go ahead and buy a maternity bra now? And if so, how on earth do I choose a size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't worn a bra regularly in about 5 years. They are so uncomfortable and I stopped leaking while early postpartum after baby #2 (this is baby #5). BUT I do remember that out of the bras I used to wear, ones made by Pea In a Pod were the most comfortable. I think they were maternity sleep bras, but I wore them all the time because they were supportive, but stretchy. Of course, I'm not a busty woman anyway (when engorged with milk I could get to a full B), so if that is something you need to worry about, it would be better to follow the advice of the other bustier mamas.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was a C cup before getting pregnant, so not huge, but going braless is going to be pretty uncomfortable, especially since they're already feeling pretty heavy. I had read that I might want to avoid underwire, and I'm a little worried about finding something without underwire in anything larger than my current size. I'm also not sure if I should be expecting my band size to increase or just the cup size?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the same boat. I stay at home most of the time so I've just been going bra-less. When I do have to go out though, my breasts seem so much worse in any bra I put on. I'm guessing it's time to find a bigger size but I really don't want to spend the money on something that I'm not sure will fit for long.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Ok, so this might be a bummer but I have not found a good way around having to purchase at least two bras during a pregnancy/lactation. But I can offer suggestions about how I avoided buying like four!

When I am at my normal weight, I wear a 34B, not lactating. But I've been holding onto weight and have been 36C for a year, lactating. I go up to a D or DD right before birth/ after birth and for several months. Then they shrink slowly back down to C or B.

That is a huge range. And not only the cup, but the band changes to as ribs expand for the uterus.

So, I have borrowed bras from my mother, who is larger than me, I've bought cheap ones at maternity consignment stores, I've gotten cheapies at Target or layered my old sports bras if the were stretchy enough...I say don't buy a breastfeeding bra until the end. You won't need it for at least the first week as you recover and lie in bed with baby skin to skin or putter around the house. Then once you've lost some water weight and uterus, buy a nursing bra. It will last longer that way. One you May want during the first week is a nursing sleep bra that is very stretchy and not really supportive, but gives enough to walk around the house and hold nursing pads in place so you don't leave a trail of milk behind you whereever you go.

My fav brands are Bravado and LLL. At this point, underwires are not recommended for lactation. I don't think underwire is good at anytime and try to avoid it, but I still have one or two oldies hut goodies that have wire. Hope that helps!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

@writermama12 thanks for the advice! Wow, that is a wide range. I'm normally a 34C, so I'm a little bit terrified of how big they're going to get. All my bras right now are underwire, because it's more supportive and I found it's difficult to find anything C cup or above without it. But it is becoming uncomfortable! I guess I'll look around and try to find a sale. Unfortunately both my Mom and sister are smaller than me (and on the other side of the country, anyway), so no borrowing for me. Hopefully they won't grow much more until much later on, and I'll avoid having to buy new ones every month!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Before my first pregnancy I was not quite a B LOL I don't remember the range while I was pregnant, but by the time my milk came in I was easily a full C. When nursing ended I went down to an A (how is that fair?).

Also, all my non-maternity/nursing bras are underwire & padded. So as soon as my bra got uncomfortable I went to the department store clearance rack & bought 2 soft cup bras in the largest band size that fit me. I can't remember if they are a B or a C, but there is room to grow in there, but because of the way the cups are constructed it doesn't look or feel funny. I think I paid $10 or $15 each. They are comfortable enough, but the first thing I do when I get home is take it off LOL

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I finally got sick of how tight my bras were feeling and went bra shopping today. The size that fit best? 36D! D! Let me tell you, it was not easy to find a wire-free bra in that size! If that is the size I am at the beginning of the second trimester, I am a little bit terrified at how huge I will be when my milk comes in...

User Tag List