Sneeking a Peek - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sneeking a Peek

Is anyone planning to find out the sex of the babe? I've done it both ways. But this time I'm finding it so hard to be patient. I had planned to keep it a surprise for birth, but not knowing if this will be my fourth boy or first girl is killing me!!

How are you leaning? To peek or not to peek?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm leaning towards finding out, but not telling anyone. It might be easier to just tell people we don't know, though. I had the NIPT genetic screening done, so I'll actually find out either this week or next, since they're looking at the genes anyway, and won't need to wait for the ultrasound. They send two separate emails, so I can either open the one that reveals the sex or not. I can't imagine having that email sitting in my inbox and NOT opening it, though.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am definitely finding out the sex, I'm already having a hard time waiting and I have to wait another two months!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is the first time I want to find out but my hubby wants to let it be a surprise. Usually it is the other way around and we find out anyway. I'm thinking I'll just tell him to turn his head when we see the gender shot. :thumb
Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
PEEKED!

With my first, I didn't want to know. The whole thing was so wondrous, and I was really hesitant to to project ANYTHING onto the baby, just wanted he/she to be swimming there in zen until they were ready to meet us. That said, I was SO RELIEVED when he came out a boy. Whew.

With this one, I felt completely the opposite, and absolutely wanted to know the sex...I explained to my husband that I needed some wind on my weather vane, needed to know which way to point.

I had the materniT21 @ 11 wks, and was SO EXCITED to find out there's a girl in there.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, Invierna, congrats on your daughter!!!! Oh, no, with all you ladies finding out... how am I gonna stay strong??? I so want to know, but also kind of daydream about the elation of finding a vagina instead of a pens after the birth. Actually, I can't really believe a daughter is possible. It would be so surreal after dreaming and thinking about it for so many years. I expect a pens, a cute tiny one attached to a sweet little boy, but a penis nonetheless. Invierna, what was your reaction? Could you believe it? Most of my friends have two of the same sex in a row, it is rare, odds wise, for one of each. Lucky you!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will definitely be finding out! :) :) I can hardly stand not knowing!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, DH and I both want to know asap!!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM

writermama12, since you asked :) ...I had a sonogram the day before i got the results, and when i saw the little critter i instantly thought, "there she is, that's the baby I've been waiting for." But I was consciously staying open to fate, and accepting of the possibility of a boy...then the when the nurse called and said, "you're having a girl," I was mostly just stunned. I said something dumb like "yay! I got what I wanted!" Forgive me...I was still internalizing the news she gave me first, that the tests hadn't shown up anything worrying.

Then I told my husband and he wanted to hug for like half an hour. Then I told my son there was a baby sister in my tummy and he wanted to peer into my belly button. He definitely doesn't get it yet.

Now please, ladies, don't get me wrong, I LOVE little boys. I'm around a bunch of them, a lot. And being a mom to brothers would be a special gift. But since I am pretty certain this is the last kid I get to have, or any of my immediate friends get to have, I feel very grateful, and privileged, that a little feminine spirit came my way.

Looking forward to the rest of you finding out, and the surprises too!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 PM

I have to admit that a lot of why I want to know is to cut down on the number of names I need to look at! I know I have ages to pick a name, but I started looking at lists and I don't like any of them. It's kind of paralyzing - choosing a name for a person - how can I possibly hope to get it right? It's going to be hard either way, but if I only need to come up with one list, that's better!

I almost can't believe it's possible I would be having a girl, though, because it seems like everyone I know is having/just recently had boys. I know some people are having girls, obviously, but it just seems unlikely for some reason.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Invierna - I totally get that feeling. I have 3 boys and 1 girl right now and when we found out that I was growing a daughter in my belly, it was beautifully overwhelming. Boys are fabulous and the mother/son relationship is amazing, but girls are also fabulous and the mother/daughter relationship is different. Both are equally amazing, but equally different. So congratulations on your baby daughter!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 AM

@Invierna- So exciting that you are having a girl. I've been feeling guilty because I am desperately hoping for a girl but I have this feeling that it's going to be a boy haha. I will love this baby no matter what but I always dreamed that my first would be a loving daughter.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM

ajoye I totally get that! it took us 3 days to name DS after he was born (he came 5 wks early, but still). we had a list of things we could stand and went back and forth, changing the order of firsts and middles, for hours at a time. finally one morning i woke up and it had settled in my heart, and i told DH, and he said OK. one of my worst crying fits while pg was on a long drive when DH wouldn't get serious about name evaluation, he kept saying things like "Ninja Rocket!" and I crumpled, b/c i, too, take the job very seriously!

also, we are overrun with boys as well. they tell me it's been like 16 yrs since there was a girl born on our block.

Thanks for being excited with me, ladies!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM

We have one of each already. We found out with each of them but I have finally convinced my husband to let this one be a surprise. We have gotten rid of all newborn clothing already so I am a bit nervous about that but we have generous friends/family with both sexes so we will get that worked out.

I am so excited to have it be a surprise, but so worried that it will drive me crazy! We are only planning on the 20 week US so that should be our only real test.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wish I could let it be a surprise! I'm just too impatient. I consider finding out the sex now an early surprise :) I took the harmony genetic test and found out we are having our second boy. I must admit -- I feel guilty for even saying this -- I am slightly disappointed because I really wanted to experience both a son and a daughter! We probably won't have any more kids after this. However, it makes me happy to think that my son will have a little buddy!

Also, I had convinced myself that this time around it is a girl because the pregnancies feel so different. I guess it just proves that no pregnancies are exactly alike and the old wives' tales about nausea equalling a girl is just that, an old wives' tale...
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My last baby Madara was a surprise till she was born. Then she died. So For this new baby we want to find out the gender as soon as we can. We 're going to do a 16 week 3d ultra sound early gender peak. Yay. Just a month away. So excited!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 PM

For our first we didn't find out and Madara died when she was born. So for the baby we are finding out as soon as we can. I really think it is a boy. But I thought that with her too. We're going to the 16 week 3d ultrasound gender peak in a month. Can't wait.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
We didn't find out with my 1st. I wanted a girl (badly) and had a boy. It didn't help the PPD

Since now I know I have a problem with depression I'm doing everything I can to not make it worse. Including finding out gender. And we're having a girl this time

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM

I just made my appointment for the 4d gender peak at a day over 16 weeks. The lady said to get better pics though we should come back at 30 weeks and then the baby will have more fat on them and defined facial features. She said at the first 16 week one the baby will look more skeletal. Does anyone have any experience with this? I assume she is right. Please let me know what you guys think. I was hoping we could just do it all at 16 weeks lots of pics and gender. But she said all babies look the same at that point.

Madara rest in peace9/24/2013 
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
liladancing I'm so sorry, I can't even fathom that. As for the 4D, we thought they looked a little creepy, so we never did one. But you could sure tell she was a girl in the ones we did have. And some people didn't believe me.
We plan to find out this time too, at our one ultrasound. Although everyone but DH and I just assume we are having a boy this time. I'm the only girl with 4 younger brothers. We plan to have a big family, and I hope we end up with at last 2 of each because I always longed for a sister. I guess that is why I was in shock when we found out our first was a girl. DH chatted none stop the whole way home about all the things he was going to teach her, and all I could do was nod. Lol.
If it's a boy DH has a name picked out, if it's a girl....I have no idea.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
Old 07-19-2014, 03:35 PM

We will be finding out Aug 23! Can't wait. Thought about waiting but decided it was just easier to know before hand.

Me 22  DH 27. First  6 May. Baby BOY due early Jan 2014 
Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 PM

So, we did find out - we got the NIPT genetic screening so we found out the sex (and no mistaking it either, since they looked at the genes). We're not telling anyone IRL but I figure I can tell you all, because who are you going to tell? You don't know my family (probably)!
I'm just kind of amused because...it's a boy! After I said I didn't believe it was possible it could be a girl, because everyone's having boys, I guess I was right. Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to start liking boy names eventually. I had a few I liked for girls, but none for boys.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoye View Post
So, we did find out - we got the NIPT genetic screening so we found out the sex (and no mistaking it either, since they looked at the genes). We're not telling anyone IRL but I figure I can tell you all, because who are you going to tell? You don't know my family (probably)!
I'm just kind of amused because...it's a boy! After I said I didn't believe it was possible it could be a girl, because everyone's having boys, I guess I was right. Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to start liking boy names eventually. I had a few I liked for girls, but none for boys.
Yay. I really think I am having a boy too. I am finding out from a 4d ultrasound on Aug. 8. What is a NIPT?

Madara rest in peace9/24/2013 
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liladancing View Post
Yay. I really think I am having a boy too. I am finding out from a 4d ultrasound on Aug. 8. What is a NIPT?
It's the Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing - a blood test to check for chromosomal abnormalities like Down syndrome and other trisomies. It's not offered as a rule to everyone - but I'll be 35 when the baby is due, so I was considered 'high risk'.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM

@ajoye , hooray! little boys are so awesome, so amazing, and so much fun. even at the phase mine is in lately, when i find myself saying at least 3x, EVERY MORNING, "Son, put your penis away and focus on your breakfast." You're gonna love the way your little man loves you. And, his name will come to you, by and by...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have given it a lot of thought and have decided to peek! probably in a month...that way I won't keep hoping it is a girl until labor. I'd rather know what to expect to ward off disappointment or the surreal feeling that might happen at birth if it's another boy. I feel strongly that this baby is a girl, so it'd be good to correct that feeling sooner rather than later.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM

I am very excited for you to find out too!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 PM

We don't plan to find out. Our kids want us to though! Lol I don't want to (except it would make it easier to buy clothes ahead of time, since we have never had a winter baby) and DH says he doesn't care either way. So, i guess we are going with no peek. We probably won't even get an ultrasound at all, so that helps with not peeking! Lol

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Old 07-25-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We had been hoping to find out at our appt last Friday, but Dr. says to early. We did find out we were a week further along too(which I tried to tell Dr., but figured they would eventually see through as ultrasound). So now at 15 weeks 1 day we set up an elective appt in which they have a great success rate and a guarantee and great reviews. I am already hitting 20 hrs of over time a week on top of 40 ww, so I asked hubby and he was all for it. So tommorrow we have an appt and I will get back to everyone. I had always wanted to wait to find out or doing something different, but with our situation right now we figured we should try to be as prepared as we can. So fingers and toes crossed for us please!!!!

User Tag List