2Likes
  • 1 Post By neonalee
  • 1 Post By Xerxella

#1 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
MaterniT21 anyone?

Anybody else doing the MaterniT21 test or something similar. (Harmony, Verify, etc)?
#2 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i did it. easy, fast, early, and if you have risk factors they make it affordable. a modern miracle i can get behind.
#3 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yes, expecting the results any day now.
#4 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 PM

there's a woman in the Dec DDC who had a terrible experience tho.
#5 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 10:57 PM

Ok, I just read through that thread from the Dec DDC. Ugh, what a terrible experience! I went to a class on genetic screening and diagnostic tests and they were very careful to make sure we all realized this test is a SCREENING test only, it won't tell you for sure 100% . I know it's a risk that I'll get a false positive, but on the other hand, knowing myself I think it would have been very difficult not to do any screenings and hope for the best - I would totally worry up until the birth. So I'm hoping that the result I get will ease my mind. And if I get a positive result for anything, I'll have to deal with that when and if it happens.
#6 of 21 Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM

ajoye it's true, once you take the test, you gotta deal with the results. no more "ignorance is bliss." hope you get your results soon, the waiting is hard...and information is power.

Xerxella , have you taken it, or are you still contemplating the possibility? Do you have any specific questions about the process?
#7 of 21 Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

@invierna - ETA - I just read the post. Here it is for anyone interested: Terrible news

That IS nerve racking. But, hind sight being 20/20, there are many characteristics on an ultrasound that are very obvious if a baby has this chromosonal problem. Since the first thing I did was google it and got the information quickly, I think I would've called immeditely for an ultrasound to reinforce the Mat21 findings or shed doubt on them. Then if they wanted to do amnio, they could have some idea on if the findings were correct or not.

AFM - We did the blood draw this morning. My understanding is it's over 99% effective for detecting T21 and over 90% effective for detecting the other more common trisomies. Mat21 also looks at some of the more specific common deletions such as Angelman Syndrome and Prader-Willi Syndrome.

Off to read the December DDC....
#8 of 21 Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Xerxella that is a great point! wouldn't have thought of it, myself. so important to remember to exercise what agency we DO have in the medical world...and keep seeking more information...

also, spoiler alert for those of you reading along...everything turns out fine for our friend from December. I only brought up her story b/c i felt it balanced my own shamelessly hip hip hooray post, and it seems important to look at a question from many sides, especially since the test is SO new...

so now you're waiting with ajoye! and we're waiting with the both of you.
#9 of 21 Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What are these tests? Where can you get them and how much are they?
#10 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 AM

liladancing, and anyone else who's interested...you can google "NIPT" (non-invasive prenatal test) and the brand names Harmony, Verifi, MaterniT21, and Panorama.

Here is a fact sheet from Oregon Health & Science University: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/health/servic...-FACTSHEET.pdf
#11 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

@liladancing - You can just talk to you doc about it and date you want to do it. My doc didn't bring it up, but had no problem when I stated I wanted it. The number I've seen for MaterniT21 is $235. But, they will bill your insurance first. But, you should definitely ask when you ask about the test.
#12 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM

No longer waiting! I got the results, and I have a very low risk (it's reported as a "negative" result, but it is a screening test so I want to make sure I point out that it's not a complete all clear!). I'm pretty happy with that, and don't feel the need to do any diagnostic tests to be completely sure. It was a relatively short wait - I had the blood drawn last Tuesday night right before the lab closed, and received the result yesterday. Considering there was a holiday weekend in there, I think that's pretty good.
#13 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 PM

great news ajoye! sooo...name choices getting any easier? hmmm?
#14 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Not really! Well, we know the sex, but I'm still not liking any names I see. This is going to be really difficult!
#15 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 AM

luckily, you've got lots of time yet. :) no pressure til the baby's 3 days old and the in-laws are texting every hour or so...
#16 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 AM

My sister and her husband didn't pick a final name until a few days after their son was born last year - hopefully we didn't put too much pressure on her! I mostly pestered my mom about it when I wanted to know, so hopefully she was shielded from our curiosity. Yeah, we aren't planning on telling anyone the name until the baby's born anyway (if we ever actually choose one), so we have time yet. I want to at least have a short list, though!
#17 of 21 Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM

well, now we have derailed this thread totally, but I have to tell you my aunt didn't name my cousin for like 2 weeks! this was back in the early 70's, in a commune...she just called him "squidgy." finally a little boy from a few tipis down came over with a picture book and suggested she name her baby after the main character. She did!
#18 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
AFM - We did the blood draw this morning. My understanding is it's over 99% effective for detecting T21 and over 90% effective for detecting the other more common trisomies. Mat21 also looks at some of the more specific common deletions such as Angelman Syndrome and Prader-Willi Syndrome. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by invierna View Post
Xerxella that is a great point! wouldn't have thought of it, myself. so important to remember to exercise what agency we DO have in the medical world...and keep seeking more information...

also, spoiler alert for those of you reading along...everything turns out fine for our friend from December. I only brought up her story b/c i felt it balanced my own shamelessly hip hip hooray post, and it seems important to look at a question from many sides, especially since the test is SO new...

so now you're waiting with ajoye! and we're waiting with the both of you.
Thank you for the spoiler alert! I won't read the thread (I stay away from bad news as much as possible), so I'm glad to know there's ahappy ending.

I did a lot of research on these tests when I first heard of it. Because I'm older my insurance pays for it & I decided to get it. Rather than the CVS that I had done with DS, which was AWFUL & scary. I also read that the higher your risk the more accurate it is considered. I don't really understand statistics so someone else can explain that LOL

We had it done & got the results a few days ago. Everything looks good (same with the NT ultrasound) & we're having a girl

These are 2 helpful things I found:
http://www.downsyndromeprenataltesti...etal-dna-isnt/
http://www.downsyndromeprenataltesti...prenatal-test/
ajoye likes this.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#19 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Negative. Whew. We got the results last night. So, a week and a day, but I had been nagging them. I think if I hadn't, they would've waited until Monday morning to call.

I didn't find out the gender, but they said I can call anytime. I still don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajoye likes this.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#20 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM

yay @Xerxella !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page