Second Trimester?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Second Trimester?!

Last night, GreenMomma totally cheered me up in the symptoms thread. She said...

But hey! Ladies! We are finally leaving the 1st trimester! Those who are the beginning of the month are already there, those of us in the middle are just about, and those at the end are getting soooo close. Hooray!

And she's right...here comes more energy, less nausea, more appetite...and holy cannoli, we're 1/3 of the way to sweet, fresh, cuddly little babes in our arms.

Where I am, it's hard to fathom January itself (snow? below freezing temps? it's so hot in my house right now, at 10 am, I'm just gonna take the kids outside and lay in the sprinkler all day)...but I know it's coming...anybody feeling excited? anybody feeling ambitious again? anybody getting set to break the news on facebook? what changes does the second trimester bring for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I am both really excited and nervous about the next stage. All the good stuff and enjoyable bit for me happens in the second trimester, but so does the weight gain, which I struggle Majorly with. I will start another thread about it. Also, that is when the pregnancy gets serious in my mind, the point of no return. Another human. It is both a totally joyous feeling and also scary. No matter of it's your first or fourth baby, it gets real around the second trimester. I also usually get some bothersome symptoms like insomnia and acid reflux. So I enter this stage with a slower step and I am trying to be gentle with myself.

On the other hand, yes, I have been feeling a bit better, more energy than the past two months and better appetite. Those are huge pluses!!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been struggling with accepting this pregnancy as we were done and well, obviously, we weren't. Lol. I am showing a bit and I am feeling better. On Friday, I have my first MW appointment and will hopefully hear the heartbeat so I am slowly getting to a better place.

I have bought another carrier already, but have been eyeing others. I am thinking I need to pull out my cloth and see what I need to add. I am slowly getting excited (and now I am tearing up because I feel so bad it has taken so long to get there....)
Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am really excited too! I am happy to be in the 2nd trimester technically as of today. Although our last scan on Monday some of the results. They said our due date was 2/20 not 2/22. I know it is not that different but we're inducing early at the latest 39 weeks already. I will see what the doc says about that at our next appointment. Speaking of Facebook I just today made the big announcement by posting this pic among others but this was the main one. Well it won't let me post it. How do I do that? It is of me and my hubby holding the sonogram pic. Cute. So far in just a few short hours of posting it we have had 82 likes and 30 comments!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:24 AM

liladancing, that is great news about your fb post. How exciting! I haven't done it yet. I guess I don't want to right now. All the important people know so there is little reason for me.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

fiannas aww honey, don't feel bad, ambivalence is part of the game. I want this baby so much, and worked hard to get her, but there are still some days when I think, hmmm...life's pretty perfect right now, what am I thinking upsetting this delicate balance? And then, the other day at the park, I saw a HUGELY pregnant mama out in the heat with her kids. She had a little folding stool she took with her from shady spot to shady spot as her kids moved around. That gave me pause, too: reality check! But here we are, we're doing it, and this little one wants to love you the most. Today's your MW appt! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

liladancing brave lady! i'm scared of FB still. when we change over to the forum format, try posting your picture again. i totally want to see it. maybe you can even start an announcement thread :) so do you get to choose your induction date?

writermama12 you may be nervous and excited, but you sound balanced, peaceful, and completely competent. :)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 PM

I don't think I choose the induction date. But I do know they said the latest 39
Weeks. They said it was based a bit on my comfort level though. So I guess it is a bit in my control. They are probably going to do a fetal lung test. Maybe 37 38 weeks.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am so excited to be entering the 2nd trimester! This is my first pregnancy, so I can't speak from prior experience, but it certainly seems all the fun parts happen in the 2nd trimester. I can't wait to start showing more obviously (right now I just look like I'm getting chubby), feel the baby move, and watch it start to look more like a baby on the ultrasound. We've only told family so far, and while I can't wait until it's all out in the open I'm feeling a little ambivalent about making big announcements generally. I'm also not sure if I should tell people at work yet. I'm 13 weeks tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can relate so much to people's feelings of ambivalence/fear/excitement. I must admit I've been somewhat detached about this baby, though those feelings are slowly changing. It is a planned baby, but conceived more quickly than expected and it just hasn't felt real until recently, when we got the NT scan and were able to see him (we found out it's a boy!) moving around.

I think my fear/detachment has to do with having a miscarriage my first pregnancy (fortunately we were lucky to have a successful second pregnancy -- this is the third -- but I worry sometimes that the first pregnancy was the norm and the second was an anomaly). I also feel nervous about having two little ones (two years apart). I often feel overwhelmed with just one child...what will I feel like with two? How do people have enough love for two? I know it happens, but it just seems hard to imagine right now!

On a brighter note, I am feeling a lot better now at 14 weeks, thank goodness. And just this weekend I looked in the mirror and thought, wow...that tiny bump is actually growing! It's an obvious bump and not just a big meal! That makes me really excited. I can't wait to feel him kick! :)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 AM

Operamama, I know just what you mean about wondering and mot understanding how you wijll have not only enough love but enough energy and time for two! But you absolutely will. It will amaze how much love you grow for your new little. The way it feels for me (I have three) is that my capacity for love and adoration expands and appreciates each child's very unique personalities, idiosyncrasies, sweetness and joy. They all express it differently and that makes it easy to love each one equally. You may find after the first rough bit, managing a toddler and a very needy newborn, that daily life gets EASIER with two, as they seek each other out to play and get attention instead of only you. Siblings are the best in my book, a constant friend.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Operamama - You will find that your love cannot be divided, but multiplied. :love
Old 07-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Writermama and Greenmamma, thank you for the sweet words. Isn't love amazing like that? I'll remember this when I am feeling scared! I love having siblings myself, so I am really happy to give this gift to my son.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

where's the dang "like" button?! :)
Old 07-14-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
We really need to go to the regular forums so I can see your signatures and get back the "like" button!!!!

So, when does the 2nd tri officially begin? I'm 12+6 today. Is it tomorrow at 13 weeks? Or do you have to have 13 weeks completed?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I think technically it starts at 14w0d from LMP.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Operamama - I completely understand your fear about the 2nd baby with a toddler. When I had my second, my first was just 2yo a few months. I will admit I had a few feelings of guilt over the thought of "losing" the special bond I had with DS1. Soon I realized that I could still cuddle with both and I would still get alone time with both occasionally and my bond with both strengthened and grew as their bond to each other did as well. Watching my two boys grow into the best of friends (they are 5yo and 3yo now) has been amazing to watch and I would never take it back. They play together so well... Most of the time. :) So now, pregnant with my third, the process begins again. The family expands and your love grows. I am so excited.

Last time when DS2 was born I was amazed at how old my DS1 looked when my mom brought him to visit in the hospital. He seemed so old! I kept having to tell myself, 'he's still a baby too. He's still a baby too,' so I wouldn't expect too much from him those first few months when I was tired or frustrated. Of course, DS1 gave up his naps when DS2 was less than 1mo, but on the positive side, DS1 also potty learned right around then too.

As for this pregnancy, I'm so happy to be moving into the 2nd trimester. I'm ready for less nausea and more energy asap. I'd love to enjoy the latter half of this summer and I think my boys are starting to get bored to tears without our normal day outings and beach days.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM

I am finally allowing myself to say that I'm in the second trimester now that I am 14w. It feels like there is a little less anxiety now (at least for a bit). Time seems to be going so fast now, I can't wait for my belly to pop!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm kind of bummed to find out that I'm not quite in the second trimester yet after all. WebMD said 13 weeks, but like every other site says 14. Plus I have my second 1st trimester appointment this week, so apparently my OB is going by 14 weeks too. Next week, then! It feels like splitting hairs at this point, but I'll try to be patient.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM

@ajoye - you'll be there before you know it. I didn't think I would make it but it has finally arrived and it seems time is just passing so quickly now. Hopefully this week will pass quickly for you

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For all of my other babes I have always thought of the end of 12 weeks as the beginning of the second trimester, then it occurred to me that the reason early ultrasounds are coded as being "early pregnancy,<14 weeks" is because before 14 weeks is still the first trimester. I was sad. But whether YOU count 13 or 14 weeks as the 2nd tri is totally up to you! We're all pretty darn close!

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invierna View Post
where's the dang "like" button?!
Its in small lettering on each persons comment.. Did you find it?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Oh, I'm not 2nd tri yet?! I'm actually kinda relieved. Not that I thought the 1st tri symptoms would go away like a switch was turned off, but still ... I'm so tired!

We've told everyone local & our family & close friends that aren't local. Haven't posted it to FB. I wasn't planning to, but I keep almost posting things about pregnancy and then I have to stop myself. So maybe I will. I'm still mostly detached, even though we wanted & tried for this pregnancy. Probably has to do with depression & needing to take my meds more regularly. But we know we are having a girl & when I think about that I do get super excited.

I want to add to the responses about love. I fully believe that the heart is ever expanding. Adding more children (or any person really) to those you love does not diminish the amount of love you feel for those already there. The amount of love you feel just grows and cannot be contained. There is no limit. Now time & energy for another child? Yeah, I wonder about that too

Looking forward to truly being in the 2nd tri!

ETA: oh geez. I need to change my profile picture. That's DS at almost 2 & he's almost 4 now!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM

I too really thought that 12 weeks was the 2nd trimester. I am almost 13 weeks now. Will be tomorrow. I even asked the advice nurse with my hospital and they said that 2nd trimester was 14 weeks. Feeling confused.

Madara rest in peace9/24/2013 
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockhart36 View Post
Operamama - I completely understand your fear about the 2nd baby with a toddler. When I had my second, my first was just 2yo a few months. I will admit I had a few feelings of guilt over the thought of "losing" the special bond I had with DS1. Soon I realized that I could still cuddle with both and I would still get alone time with both occasionally and my bond with both strengthened and grew as their bond to each other did as well. Watching my two boys grow into the best of friends (they are 5yo and 3yo now) has been amazing to watch and I would never take it back. They play together so well... Most of the time. So now, pregnant with my third, the process begins again. The family expands and your love grows. I am so excited.

Last time when DS2 was born I was amazed at how old my DS1 looked when my mom brought him to visit in the hospital. He seemed so old! I kept having to tell myself, 'he's still a baby too. He's still a baby too,' so I wouldn't expect too much from him those first few months when I was tired or frustrated. Of course, DS1 gave up his naps when DS2 was less than 1mo, but on the positive side, DS1 also potty learned right around then too.

As for this pregnancy, I'm so happy to be moving into the 2nd trimester. I'm ready for less nausea and more energy asap. I'd love to enjoy the latter half of this summer and I think my boys are starting to get bored to tears without our normal day outings and beach days.
Lockhart36 - oh, you made me a little teary. I have felt some guilt too at how things will change with my first son. But I know it will all work out and be beautiful in the end. Thanks for the kind words. I hope you feel better asap and can do some fun summer stuff with your kids!

As for the confusion over when the 2nd trimester starts...I read somewhere that risks go way down after week 12, and that was really encouraging to me. I felt like the 2nd trimester would never get here and now I am 15 weeks and wondering how that happened so fast!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiannas View Post
I have been struggling with accepting this pregnancy as we were done and well, obviously, we weren't. Lol. I am showing a bit and I am feeling better. On Friday, I have my first MW appointment and will hopefully hear the heartbeat so I am slowly getting to a better place.

I have bought another carrier already, but have been eyeing others. I am thinking I need to pull out my cloth and see what I need to add. I am slowly getting excited (and now I am tearing up because I feel so bad it has taken so long to get there....)
Flannas- I feel for ya mama. Glad i'm not the only one. It has taken me this long to even start being OK with the idea of another kid and start to try to be excited. We have 2 kids and I wasn't quite ready for another one yet, but ultimately the timing is good in the big picture.

I'm hoping like you I can start doing a few baby things that build up the excitement, like looking for a nice wrap and figuring out the diaper situation for the next one. Hoping that all comes when I have energy again someday

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015

User Tag List