Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajoye

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
When did/will you tell work?

I'm just wondering, for those of you who work outside the home, when are you planning on telling your manager and HR about your pregnancy? Or have you already? I'm 13 weeks now, and with my encouraging NIPT results I've been slowly telling family and friends. I'm not really one for big announcements, and I know they don't really need to know this far in advance that I'm taking maternity leave in January, but I'd like to stop feeling like I'm hiding something every day.

I'm not really showing yet (depending on what I wear, I just look like I'm gaining weight or like normal), but I think pretty soon I will and people will start to guess anyway. I'm just not sure how to approach the conversation. I do have a mid-year performance evaluation meeting coming up within the next couple of weeks, so maybe after that? I'm not worried about getting a bad reaction from my announcement that might affect my review, but better safe than sorry, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
@ajoye - This is your first? I would definitely say the most important thing is not to apologize. I know that sounds weird, but you don't want to start off by making it sound like a bad thing or that it'll be a burden on them. Say, "Boss! I've got great news! My husband and I are expecting!!!! We're SO exciting. I wanted to tell you first." I think it's prudent to wait until after the review. Maybe you could do it right after the performance review when you've read the review and signed everything and they ask if there's anything else you want to add.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I was working, I told about now, after my first trimester was over. I agree with Xerxella's advice on both not apologizing and waiting until after the review.
#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
@ajoye - This is your first? I would definitely say the most important thing is not to apologize. I know that sounds weird, but you don't want to start off by making it sound like a bad thing or that it'll be a burden on them. Say, "Boss! I've got great news! My husband and I are expecting!!!! We're SO exciting. I wanted to tell you first." I think it's prudent to wait until after the review. Maybe you could do it right after the performance review when you've read the review and signed everything and they ask if there's anything else you want to add.
Absolutely this.

With my first I told at about 15 weeks. This time I told my boss about a week after I found out LOL But this is a different company & people here are extremely supportive & wonderful.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice! I wasn't planning on apologizing - but good instincts on the suggestion anyway. I usually have an overly developed sense of guilt, so it's kind of surprising that I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever about taking a few months off for maternity leave. I'll wait until after the review (which hasn't been scheduled yet, but I think has to be done by the end of next week).
Xerxella likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Good for you, and good luck!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I told them at 6 weeks. I didn't want to but I was ended up sick quite a bit. They found out before most of my family and friends!

Me 22  DH 27. First  6 May. Baby BOY due early Jan 2014 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page