Mothering Forum banner

Weekly Chat 7/28-8/3

1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Operamama1 
#1 ·
Needed a new chat! I already posted in the old thread so not much to add in a few hours, lol. But noticed I haven't been feeling very hungry and that I didn't eat much today. When I did eat, I got nauseous or unsettled in the middle and didn't finish any meal. Same yesterday. When I made myself a before bed snack to get some extra calories in, I took a bite and became ravenous!! I guess I WAS hungry and didn't feel it. How Weird! Anyone else go through this?

#2 ·
Oh yeah I would do that when I was prego with DD.

Before I forget to all the mama's still breastfeeding. I recently started taking a food based supplement again, and my milk supply has picked up. I was taking it when I got pregnant, but I didn't think it would mix well with morning sickness. My midwife approved it. It's called Zeal. I'm a rep, anyone who is interested can pm me or go jocelynpaige.zealforlife.com

AFM I feel very pregnant today. A stranger couldn't tell, but I sure can. I've got a little bump and it is all baby. And as I sit here nursing DD I can feel baby #2 wiggling around. It's such a precious moment.

#4 ·
Oh, and I thought I'd add that tomorrow I have an OB visit and I have to take my 4 kidlets with me. They are 9.5, 7, 5, and 2.5 years old. I'm not too excited about that and it is reminding me how much I loved having homebirth prenatal visits. They were always at MY house in MY bedroom on MY bed. No sitter needed or aggravation involved with packing everyone up and hoping with all my hope that they behave for the time we are there. (My children are not known for being very patient when I've had to take all to doctor visits before.) But it will be okay. I'm sure. Right?

#5 ·
Greenmamma, Yikes! My thoughts are with you, lol!!! I have a hard time taking TWO toddlers to the doctor, especially due to the 3 yo. He eventually gets fed up with checking thing out, making a rubber glove balloon and opens the door and takes off down the hall while the other one is still hiding behind the table. Are your olders any help? I bet they do a little, right, but not all the time. My older is like that. BTW, why do you need an OB this time? Did I miss something big?

#6 ·
The doctor would make the call if we had to induce before 37 weeks and do a fetal lung test first most likely unless things are dire. Just due to how my daughter died we are being a lot more cautious. I expect that the baby probably won't be born before 37 weeks though. I am glad they don't expect me to go past 39 though. I bet those last weeks might be really stressful for me. We are going to see a high risk doctor at some point in the pregnancy and see what they say as far as extra monitoring and risk. I do know starting at 32 weeks in addition to a once weekly ob appointment they will want me to go to the hospital twice a week for fetal monitoring and testing. So that is reassuring. On another note my mom bought me a doppler online. http://www.fetaldoppler.net/jpd-100b.html Do you guys think this is a good one? I hope so. My doc said to get a good quality one.

#7 ·
Oooo, it's super cool that you'll have your own Doppler, Liladancing. And it sounds like you are being well taken care of. That's great news. I hope your baby is so healthy that it gets to stay in there cooking as long s possible! :love

#8 ·
I have a kind of funny story. Last night I was making dinner and suddenly wheeled around to my husband all, "ooooh!" He was like what is it? Did you feel the baby? Me: "No, I get to use the immersion blender for this!"

Apparently I get as excited about using kitchen appliances as you would expect of someone feeling their first baby move for the very first time. :eek:

But I think the fact that I am now interested in cooking again is a good sign! I've been going through my cookbooks marking pages of what I want to make. A few weeks ago I just didn't care at all.

#9 ·
Haha ajoye that is funny, and good.

I cooked a real dinner tonight for the first time in a while. Felt so good to do it. Just wish I had cooked more because DH ate it all, so I don't have any leftovers. Lol

Is anyone else getting easily annoyed by people? I have been. I'm not normally like that. And it's not enough for me to really say anything, I just think "ugh"... Then I feel kinda silly because it's just the simplest questions, and no one has been rude or anything. I just feel like being a bit privet this time around, so I want people to be happy with what ever info I give them, when ever I give it to them. Lol.

#10 ·
I don't recll if I am getting easily annoyed with OTHER people, but certainly easily annoyed by DH!!!!! LOL. Phew, we are really having a rough go this time. We've never bickered or been upset with each other this much, EVER!!! It is exhausting.

And last night, DS3 was nursing on and off from 130-3 and my nipples were raw and sore and damnit, I had had enough. I offered him water instead and it was WWIII. Screaming, thrashing, inconsolable for an hour. My 3 yo was so upset he couldn't go back to sleep at all. I did eventually give in and nursed him back to sleep but...an, oh, man, this one is a tough one. I just couldn't endure any more, I don't know what I'm going to do tonight. And I probably drank too much coffee to compensate, so now also feel slightly jittery and guilty for giving the new one a jolt of caffine. I had like two cups of half caff, but it was enough to feel it.

#11 ·
My hubby is the one who knows how to work kitchen magic. Thankfully I've never been expected to do much with meals (my attempts usually don't turn out fantastic) or we'd all eat a lot of pasta and sandwiches, since those are the two things I know how to make without messing it up. :grin:

writermama12 - I'm sorry it is not going well right now! My milk has completely dried up, but my little ladybug (2.5 yo) still likes to dry nurse in the morning. I will let her for a few moments on each side, but I can't take much more than that. We have a lot of snuggling going on in its place. Oh, and you didn't miss a big announcement about why I am seeing an OB. It is just a strong prompting I have to do so. I don't like it one bit, but I figure I better follow it. I had a strong prompting about having a homebirth with my 3rd son and I know being at home is what kept me from having a c/s, since he was a pound and half bigger than my other two boys and began to get stuck. Then with my daughter I strongly felt she needed to be an unassisted birth and I know that with the way the cord was wrapped around her, there would be have been some unnecessary intervention. But instead, it went more smoothly than I could possibly imagine. It was perfect. So now I feel I need to be at the hospital with an OB, so I am. But I'm not happy.

My OB appt. turned out pretty well with the kids. They surprised me and were vey well behaved, despite the hour and a half we had to stay at the hospital due to waiting for my appointment and then some blood work. What was bad was the actual visit! I am allergic to the "caine" family. That means no lidocaine, no novocaine, and no epidural (bupvicaine). This OB is supposed to be super supportive of women's choices and I told her in my first visit that I was allergic to it and I know that limits my pain management options and if I tore I'd need to just be iced before stitching. That last part scares the dickens out of me. Anyway, she ended up calling my allergist and finding out I've never been formally tested. So now she is pushing testing because she wants to give me an epidural. HELLO?! I've NEVER had an epidural and I have only torn with my first. So I'm not too worried about that. If I need a cesarean, I know it is general anesthesia. I'm aware of that. But what bothers me the most is that every time I've been exposed to a "caine" I have severe swelling, pain, and itching. Every. single. time. And she thinks I want that next to my SPINE?! No thanks! Every doc who has seen me react has told me to stay away from the "caines". It is usually a doc who doesn't believe me who has exposed me to it, only to see that I do react. Yes, it is rare. I am not your common duck. But my insurance will only be taken by the OB group, so I am going to try a different doc within the group. Sigh.

Sorry for the novel.

#12 ·
I have also been getting more annoyed, in general, with everything! I hate it when I get irritated with my sweet toddler. Breastfeeding these days has become more difficult; I get tired of being touched and it doesn't seem like there's ever a comfortable way to nurse. The night time nursings are so hard -- I really understand and feel for you, writermama! Also, when I'm not getting good sleep, I tend to become more irritated. It's a vicious cycle.

Speaking of vicious cycles, has anybody been dealing with insomnia? Sometimes (this is a very recent thing and who knows if it will last!) my son graciously sleeps through the night, but then I wake up and can't fall back asleep for hours. It is infuriating! Anybody have good tips/remedies for what to do?

#18 ·
I have also been getting more annoyed, in general, with everything! I hate it when I get irritated with my sweet toddler. Breastfeeding these days has become more difficult; I get tired of being touched and it doesn't seem like there's ever a comfortable way to nurse. The night time nursings are so hard -- I really understand and feel for you, writermama! Also, when I'm not getting good sleep, I tend to become more irritated. It's a vicious cycle.

Speaking of vicious cycles, has anybody been dealing with insomnia? Sometimes (this is a very recent thing and who knows if it will last!) my son graciously sleeps through the night, but then I wake up and can't fall back asleep for hours. It is infuriating! Anybody have good tips/remedies for what to do?
Natural calm is great for insomnia, I just add a tsp or 2 to warm water or tea every t night. It just overall helps with a restful sleep (I am still being woken up 2-3 times a night to nurse my 32 month old) and it helps me stay calm and fall back to sleep:) I do also use Rescue remedy on those night where I am stressed being woken up and am anxiously nursing him praying he will just go to sleep!)

#13 ·
Greenmama, that sounds so difficult! I would definitely see if there's another more understanding/flexible doctor in your group. Why does she insist on an epidural -- can't you have a natural birth in the hospital (if that is what you want)? There are other routes to go for pain meds, too, if you don't want an epidural. Honestly, they freak me out ;)

I totally understand going with your prompting to decide what kind of care to get. I've only had one baby, but switched providers just because the first didn't feel right. I later heard some really ghastly stories about the place I had switched from, so I was very relieved. And I absolutely loved the midwives I ended up with.

This may be a silly question, but I've only breastfed one baby...how do you know when you are dried up? Does baby just lose interest in nursing? I know my supply has dropped, but it just seems to make my son more needy. I'm not really sure what to do. I hate to wean if he's not ready, but I am starting to feel really ready to wean myself.

#14 ·
Operamama1 - My favorite method of pain management is the tub. Oh, how glorious that vessel of water is!! As to the drying up, I first noticed when she I noticed she was only swallowing a couple of times and each day it got less and less until I noticed she wasn't swallowing anything at all anymore. I also can't hand express anything at all from my right side and the left will produce maybe a drop of what looks like transitional milk (going back to colostrum). And I can feel the difference in where my milk ducts are. When producing milk I can feel my milk ducts fill up a bit (not engorgement) and now they are just empty.

#15 ·
GreenMamma That just sounds crazy for that doctor to be like that. I hope you do find someone more open to your needs. I find that inspiring that you trust your self enough to act on it.

Operamama1 yeah epidurals freak me out too. No offence to anyone, but I can't understand why anyone would choose to have one.

We share the kitchen in this house. We where just talking about keeping a notebook in the kitchen so we can keep track of what we used when we free lance it, because we will both raid the kitchen and slap something yummy together, then forget just what all was used. Lol.

AFM I've been really tired today. I think all this rain we are getting has something to do with it. Thankfully DD was in an awesomely happy mood, and rain makes her sleepy too.
Oh a really close friend of mine is being induced tomorrow night, and she has asked me to be there. I just wish it wasn't at 11pm, cuz that's my normal bed time. Other then when I gave birth to DD this will be the only birth I've been at. I feel very honored that she has asked me to be there.

#17 ·
Operamama, For insomnia, Rescue Remedy works for me, to relax any tension or stress that might be contributing. Also reading something thinky (NOT a page turner) or informational with a flashlight. It tires out my brain and my eyes and gets my mind off of whatever thoughts or planning I was doing just lying there in the dark.

OklaFarm, That really is special. I've also never been to another person's birth. I bet it will be so awesome, even if the induction part isn't so awesome. I too wish you well and to get some rest.

DS3 did better last night. When he woke to nurse at 130, I offered him water which pissed him off but he fell back asleep. Then he woke again 10 minutes later and I did the same thing and he fell back asleep. Then he woke again and again. At one point he got pretty upset so I nursed him a bit to calm him down, then popped him off and when he protested I offered him water and he was so groggy that rolled over and let me rub his back and sing him to sleep. He woke again and climbed on top of DS2 crying and slept on DH's bed and DS2 came to sleep with me. Then we all switched again, but this time DS3 didn't try to nurse, he just snuggled really tight under my armpit!!!!! And even though he tossed and turned a bit more, he stayed put and we got to sleep on and off til morning, and I nursed him!!! I don't know if it will work again tonight, but that is a big improvement. I am so excited that it worked out that I want to jump for joy!!!!!

#19 ·
Hi everyone, haven't been around for a few days. There is a lot of emotional stuff going on here & DH & I are not even speaking. Please send good vibes, thoughts, prayers, etc. Thanks.

#21 ·
Positive healing thoughts sent!!! Sorry this is a rough time for you. ((HUGS))

#22 ·
Thanks mamas. Things are a little better. Found out he had quit taking his meds & nicotine patch cold turkey. His reasoning, if he was such a jerk while on them, why bother. He did put a half patch on yesterday. That is a huge mood stabilizer for him :-( but with both our kids at difficult stages (DSD 15 & DS almost seems to have ODD) we can't manage without right now.

Nothing else really going on. Had more morning sickness Friday on an empty stomach. That hurt! DS turns 4 on Tuesday. We usually go out for birthday dinners but the way he (everyone really) has been behaving makes me hesitant.

#23 ·
neonalee maybe dinner out would improve everyones mood? I know it does with my family.

Well Friday night went nothing like anyone thought it would... and it is still not. I was not in the room for the birth because the baby daddy is back in the picture. The baby's heart rate would not drop to a normal rate, and her breathing was shallow. So they would not let DF nurse her, and after a few hours took her to the NICU. They do not have a NICU at the hospital she was born in, so they took baby 40 minutes away. They did not take DF who could not be released because she had an epidural and still could not feel her feet. Baby was born at 1 on sat, moved around 7, DF was discharged around 11 and headed for the other hospital. She was in a lot of pain, couldn't keep much down, and had a throbbing headache.
Me and my 9mo where wore out today, so we stayed home today because we needed the rest. My mom was also there for DF, she went to be with her today and just gave me a report.
DF is in the ER because she was in so much pain she is in tears. She has tried to nurse when the staff would let her, but no good latch. They only let her try every few hours. Wont let her hold the baby much, because it "stresses the baby". DF also has not slept at all, and has not eaten much.
My heart is aching for DF and her sweet baby. I can't help but to think if they had just let her hold and nurse her as much as mom and baby wanted DF and sweet baby would be in their own home tonight. So please say a prayer for them.

#24 ·
Oh no! That is terrible news. I'm so sorry for your friend and for that poor little baby who just wants it's mama. I will send them positive thoughts tonight and hope that the medical staff will let the mother be more naturally apart of the newborn's first days. I agree with you that it could make all the difference. It really upsets me when "authority" figures interfere in natural processes, even when some parts are medically necessary, most of the protocol is harmful, not helpful.

#25 ·
Thank you folks for the sleep remedies! I'll give these a try.

Neonalee - I'm sorry your family has been experiencing some strife recently. I hope things get better soon. I hope you are able to do something fun for your son's birthday and that lifts everyone's spirits!

OklaFarmMama - That's awful that your friend is having such a rough time! I can't believe the hospital is telling her she causes stress to her baby by holding her/nursing her! Ugh. I hope you are able to provide some emotional support for her and that she gets to come home with her baby soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.