Maternity Wardrobe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#1 of 43 Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maternity Wardrobe

I've been doing some online shopping for maternity clothes. Mostly browsing, and adding things to my cart to think about.
Last time we had a very tight budget, and I felt like crap. So it was not too much fun. I found some cute things, but by the end of my pregnancy looking in my closet was a bit depressing because of all my seasonal favorites I couldn't fit. And spending a good 4 months wearing the same few outfits got really old.
So this time around I'm adding items that are more "me". I also need some other items like a good coat, long pants, and shoes that I can wear in the cold with swollen feet. I really enjoy looking pregnant, and like finding clothes that show it.

Places I've shopped this time; Zulily, Walmart.com (ordered denim shorts and a graphic tank for $15)

Places I shopped last time (all in store, list high to low prices) Motherhood, Target, Koals...also found a tee shirt dress for $8 at forever 21 that makes an awesome top. And my mother got me some pjs on sale at baby's r us. I bought my bras at Walmart, but I'm looking to find some better ones.

Where do you like to shop for maternity clothes? What's your favorite outfit? Pics welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Good questions. I can't spend much on clothes during pregnancy. It just is such a short amount of time that I don't want to waste money on things I won't use for years. I shop at thrift stores for maternity and have gotten name brand clothes for a couple of dollars an item that way. Also maternity consignment stores are great because they have SOOOOO much stock to chose from, but are a little pricier at like $8-20 an item, but better quality I guess. I've also gotten maternity on EBAY and amazon if I needed something I couldn't find. I generally pay full price for bras as I want a good one that I can return if it doesn't fit perfectly. There is a whole Bra thread somewhere in our DDC.

I'd love to see pics of favorite outfits, how fun!! I don't think I have a favorite really. I do have a really funky fuzzy purple shirt thought that always makes me think of the "flying purple people eater" monster from that children's song. I might post that one. it really is kinda funny looking, but oh well.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
#3 of 43 Old 08-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Here it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20140811_093253.JPG (220.8 KB, 28 views)

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
#4 of 43 Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I like that shirt! I'm torn about maternity. I don't like spending a lot of money for sure. But last pregnancy, I just felt like a sloppy whale most of the time. Nearly all my maternity clothes are used (then & now). Last time I wore a lot of elastic waist long skirts & loose tops. This time I want to wear more form fitting things. I found a few things at H&M, a top at Target, some tee shirts & a long dress at Old Navy. OH! And a splurge sale top from Isabella Oliver. I LOVE it. I would buy a bunch more of their stuff if I could afford it. There is VERY little maternity in stores here. People in Vegas don't get pregnant I guess

Just this past Sunday I picked up a bunch of stuff from a Craigslist mama I met when I bought her baby gear last week. Bathing suit, jeans, capris, pants, 3 dresses, 1 lightweight cardigan, 5 tops. $40. She's exactly my size. DH says my karma is coming due

Last pregnancy my favorite outfits were knee length dresses with over the knee socks & knee high boots. That was mid-pregnancy. This time I'll be at the end of pregnancy when I can wear socks/boots, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Especially for shoes.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 43 Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've just started buying maternity clothes and I'm kind of torn. I don't want to spend a lot but I also want to look cute. So far I have a pair of jeans, a pair of black pants for work, two tops, and a dress. Apparently I don't get to cheap out on maternity clothes since I'm short, though, and I only found petite sizes at Motherhood Maternity. The Kohl's here doesn't have a maternity section and the Target barely does. I tried on jeans at Target and they were like 8 or 10 inches too long! Hello, not only Amazons get pregnant, Target!
I'm having trouble finding tops and dresses that are suitable for work and don't show too much cleavage. Even Motherhood doesn't have petite tops, just pants. So everything is way too low cut, and the fact that I've grown to a D cup is not helping matters. I don't want to flash everyone at work. I'm hoping once the fall styles are in stock there will be higher necklines. I'm also having trouble finding a slip. I want to wear dresses and skirts, but I guess they don't really make maternity slips. The only one I've seen is an Ingrid & Isabel one that is super fitted and looks like it would catch on jersey knit fabrics. I want one of those slippery, loose slips!
Anyway, I'm attaching a picture of my new dress. I was taking a belly shot, so you can't see the front, but it's scoopneck and has a tie under the bust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17weeks crop.jpg (285.3 KB, 22 views)
#6 of 43 Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 PM

I didn't get maternity slips, I just wear them under belly. I recently got these & like them. Not full & not slinky, but working fine under my knit maxi skirts: Link: http://amzn.com/B001UTI2XM Last pregnancy I also got one at Sears.

Would the tops you are seeing work with a tank that has a higher neckline underneath? I layer a lot like that!
#7 of 43 Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Ooh, those look good for preventing thigh rub too!

I find that tank tops are often the worst offenders for scandalously low necklines, but I'll see if I can find any more modest ones.
#8 of 43 Old 08-13-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

That's a cute dress.
You mite be able to find tops online. I was very discouraged when I went shopping for my first pregnancy because things where hard to find, ugly, or over priced.
I'm finding better prices online, and a much larger selection. I know it's nice to be able to try things on tho.

I have not bought anything from them, but I know Old Navy has maternity clothes.

My mom found some extra long scoop neck tanks at Maurices last year. That I wore in my normal size until I got really big. Maybe you could find something like that. They show no cleavage.

ETA Or something like this http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Labor-of-Love-Maternity-Henley-Cap-Sleeve-Tunic/35923186?type=search
#9 of 43 Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoye View Post
I find that tank tops are often the worst offenders for scandalously low necklines, but I'll see if I can find any more modest ones.
Not sure on sizing, But I always got tank tops from Wet Seal. The main thing with tanks is to get them with adjustable straps. Thankfully I was able to find a basic black and white maternity tank with the adjustable straps. But that was from Target Australia

Me 22  DH 27. First  6 May. Baby BOY due early Jan 2014 
#10 of 43 Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So far my shirts have stretched with me... but my jeans are another issue. Where to find inexpensive, yet cute, maternity jeans... hmm....

Married August 2012 .......    Baby BOY due Jan 6!
Love my two monstersMalamute & Newfoundland
#11 of 43 Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM

I like the jeans I got at Motherhood Maternity. I guess it depends on what you mean by inexpensive. They're not the cheapest I've seen (around $40-45), but when compared with designer jeans it doesn't seem so bad!
#12 of 43 Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM

So far i'm living out of maxi skirts. The moment I get home from work I can't wait to put one on since anything tight around the belly is annoying.

As buying stuff I'm shopping clearance. I found some good deals on maternity bras $5-10 each. Went to take one back since it didn't fit (size that I use to be, clearly not anymore!) And found 2 more in the right size for $2 each! Then wondering around the store I found some lose fitting tops and maternity tops for $2 each. Needless to say, it made my day!

Me 22  DH 27. First  6 May. Baby BOY due early Jan 2014 
#13 of 43 Old 08-16-2014, 08:35 AM

I don't believe inexpensive maternity jeans exist, except of you can find them used! Eternity, fabulous find on the bras!

#14 of 43 Old 08-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Everyone. Where are the good deals online for new clothes?

Madara rest in peace9/24/2013 
#15 of 43 Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old Navy

I've had good luck finding maternity clothes at Old Navy, often on clearance racks or marked down. Maxi skirts and yoga pants are the most comfortable for me and last all of pregnancy.

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
#16 of 43 Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I too have been wearing a lot of maxi skirts, yoga pants, and dresses. I've also had pretty good luck at Old Navy. I've tried thrift stores/second hand stores but sizes are so hard for me. The few friends that have had kids before me either got rid of their maternity clothes or don't fit me either. So, I've had to buy almost everything new. Luckily some of my pre-pregnancy clothes still fit a bit. I've also shopped Target, H&M is another great place, they're very affordable and have a pretty good selection. I'm currently in search of at least one really good pair of maternity jeans. I'm willing to pay that crazy price for them in hopes that they will last me at least 1 or 2 more pregnancies. A Pea in the Pod is having a $25 off jeans sale but looking at some of the prices makes me a little queasy! (http://www.apeainthepod.com/maternit...-jeans-all.asp) I also only like the jeans that go under the bump, I don't like any pants over it, especially jeans!

Amber. Expecting #1 in January 2015. Married to a fireman. 2 fur babies - Golden Retriever & a chubby tabby cat.
#17 of 43 Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM

I have a lot of maternity clothes I've gotten used mainly from the little consignment shopping we have here or on Ebay. I'm really not impressed with most of my wardrobe though. I think most of it does just make me look like a sloppy pregnant mama. During my last pregnancy I couldn't wear many dresses because I was still nursing, but my son has recently weaned and I find dresses very comfy over the bump. I do put anti-chafe (sp?) cream between my thighs though or they are raw and burning by mid-day.

I've been wanting to start browsing maternity leggings and some tunic like tops and dresses. Has anyone come across cute clothes like this? I think I'll go browse starting with Amazon now.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#18 of 43 Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Zulily has a verity of styles in a rage of prices. Leggings and simple tops starting at like $9.99 going up the more high end stuff at $60 +
I was going to by some pants from there, but I checked walmart.com and found a little bit better deal. Got 2 pairs for $27 + tax (cuz I put in a $50 order and got shipping free)

I'd say price low to high the places I've shopped/looked would go walmart, old navy, target, zulily, and motherhood.

The only thing I don't like about buying online is that shipping takes a while unless you pay way more for it.
#19 of 43 Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM

I'll start trying to browse Zulily more often. There were quite a few leggings on Amazon but not very many tunic tops like I wanted.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#20 of 43 Old 08-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Any ideas of where to shop for wedding-appropriate attire? So far every maternity section I've been in has been full of casual clothes, with the occasional pair of work pants or slightly dressy top. And all the dresses I've seen have been casual, jersey-knit stuff. I live in CA so I can make do with casual for work. But nothing I've seen approaches the semi-formal level that I would want for an evening wedding.
#21 of 43 Old 08-23-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
For a wedding, I'd think anything that one of those types of long dresses that knit, stretchy and baby doll style that gathers under the breasts.

I would think it'd be easier and cheaper to go with something non maternity.

Good luck.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#22 of 43 Old 08-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
That is tuff. You should keep looking online. Unless there are stores like a pea in a pod or other maternity only specific stores. Hopefully you have a while before the wedding. Other wise I would find a stretchy dress you already have or a plus size stretchy dress at Ross. A lot of my non pregnancy clothes and dresses that were formal but stretchy would still fit me pregnant.

Madara rest in peace9/24/2013 
#23 of 43 Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 AM

I've had luck finding really nice dresses at Motherhood. You can search for that on Ebay too. Often those types of dresses are barely worn and cheap.

#24 of 43 Old 08-25-2014, 09:58 AM

I was complaining about lack of maternity in our area when I was at old Navy yesterday. The lady next to me said that Burlington outlet/coat factory /whatever it's called is good to shop at. Checking it out next weekend.

#25 of 43 Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 PM

You're finding nicer dresses at Motherhood? Granted, the store near me is tiny, but even online I only saw casual dresses. Nothing I would consider semi-formal. It's an evening wedding in New England in October, so I'd like to find something nice.

I should add that the reason why I'm being so picky is because it's my brother's wedding so I'm likely to be in some of the pictures. I've also been super sensitive about looking frumpy - I'd prefer something that's cut for a pregnant belly over something in a plus size that just won't fit well anywhere.
#26 of 43 Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

That is totally understandable ajoye. I'd be pretty picky about that too.
I went to 3 weddings during my first pregnancy, but they where all very relaxed and during the spring/summer.
Maybe you could go with a two piece? Find a fancy flattering maternity top, and a full length skirt. Be it a maxi or whatever you like.
#27 of 43 Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ajoye zulily has fall maternity apparel for the next 2 days...I wish things were in there a little longer.
#28 of 43 Old 08-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
DD crashing, but I went on Pinterest and searched DIY maternity clothes. I bought four $6 t-shirts and cut them off and added gathered skirts of some cool, vintage fabric my M-I-L gave me. I also bought a $5 t-shirt two sizes too big and ruched the sides. Everything is comfy and it was super cheap.

I found directions to remake some of my denim into maternity wear, too.

Good luck!
mkatco likes this.
#29 of 43 Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoye View Post
Any ideas of where to shop for wedding-appropriate attire? So far every maternity section I've been in has been full of casual clothes, with the occasional pair of work pants or slightly dressy top. And all the dresses I've seen have been casual, jersey-knit stuff. I live in CA so I can make do with casual for work. But nothing I've seen approaches the semi-formal level that I would want for an evening wedding.
http://www.figure8maternity.com/view...ernity-dresses

I love their stuff and they have some more formal dresses available. Some are nursing/maternity so check both categories!
#30 of 43 Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the tips! Good to have some more leads. I wish I could find something in a store so I can try it on first, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. I'll check out zulilly and figure 8.

In other news, I found a store that mostly sells used babies' and kids' stuff, but has a small rack of second-hand maternity clothes. I grabbed a dress and a pair of pants for work for super cheap! Not a lot of selection, but I will definitely be back for baby clothes, since there were some really good deals.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page